Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2019, 10:02 PM

1,117 posts, read 832,914 times

Advertisements

Um, SCBD and Mega Kuningan are closer to each other than BGC and Makati are. So how are you going to say that Manila's CBDs are too concentrated? Ortigas is close to them but a little further North. Eastwood is further north, and so is Cubao. Binondo, downtown Manila, Newport City, and Bay City are all along Manila Bay. And Alabang is way far south.

The only difference I see is that Jakarta's skyscrapers are more stretched out along highways (like Dubai), while Manila's skyscrapers are clustered.

And the CBDs of Manila are still separate CBDs. Some of them are growing close to each other and will probably connect in the near future, like Makati, BGC, Ortigas, and maybe even Bay City. They could become one huge CBD in the middle of Manila. I dont see how this is a bad thing though. It would be nice to have one big developed area in the middle of the city.

Also, people who know how big hectares are should clearly understand that im not trying to say Metro Manila's CBDs are as big as Shanghai. If they know how big hectares are, they would realize
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 10:10 PM

400 posts, read 236,471 times
This one will be the 5th U/C Supertall in Jakarta.

Sudirman Place
Currently is still in land clearing and preparation stage.

progress

Old 05-15-2019, 10:13 PM

And this pic is taken from an interesting angle.

BGC on the left, Ortigas on the right closest to the camera, and Makati in the background in the middle. In the far distance you can kinda see Binondo and/or old downtown Manila. You cant see other CBDs like Alabang, Eastwood, Newport, Bay City, Cubao, etc. This pic is just the central part, the big three CBDs. If all three of those grew together, it would be a good thing. I dont see how its a bad thing that they're close together

Last edited by manolopo; 05-15-2019 at 10:57 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
This one will be the 5th U/C Supertall in Jakarta.

Sudirman Place
Currently is still in land clearing and preparation stage.

progress

I just dont see the appeal with the way they're set up. They're stretched out along the highway and not close to each other. A lot of empty space in between. Doesnt look cohesive at all.

Here's Makati CBD, and this pic is old already. But see how cohesive it is? This whole part of Makati is easily walkable

BGC is developing in the same way, but with more green spaces. Ortigas has developed in the same way but not as nice. Eastwood is like this, but miniature version. Same with Newport City. Manila doesnt just build skyscrapers just to look nice.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:26 PM

39 posts, read 47,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
And the CBDs of Manila are still separate CBDs. Some of them are growing close to each other and will probably connect in the near future, like Makati, BGC, Ortigas, and maybe even Bay City. They could become one huge CBD in the middle of Manila. I dont see how this is a bad thing though. It would be nice to have one big developed area in the middle of the city.

Also, people who know how big hectares are should clearly understand that im not trying to say Metro Manila's CBDs are as big as Shanghai. If they know how big hectares are, they would realize
That would be great, but I doubt it. The government is focusing more on New Clark City & Pampanga to alleviate Manila's woes more than anything else right now.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:29 PM

25 posts, read 14,177 times
Quote:
So all of Central-South Jakarta is one big CBD and it's all developed? That's like saying all of the central and southern part of Metro Manila (Makati, Mandaluyong, Pasig, Taguig, Muntinlupa, Parañaque, Pasay, San Juan, Las Piñas, Pateros) is one big CBD, but its obviously not all developed. I dont even say all of Makati is one big CBD. I only count the developed parts because Makati has some poor neighborhoods in the north and east parts.

Binondo is ok and it's still thriving because lots of Chinese businesses and condos are there and the land value is among the highest in the country. It just looks like a mess compared to the other CBDs. Of the old parts of Manila city, it's my favorite neighborhood. Ermita & Malate were largely destroyed during WW2 and they havent really recovered. Thats technically "downtown Manila"
That's not the point, he said BGC is bigger than Jakarta's cbd area. I don't even understand why bigger is better here.

Its pretty clear where the cbd of Jakarta is and how much area it covers, you can chose to not include the kampung area.. but it would still not make BGC any bigger.

Quote:
Um, SCBD and Mega Kuningan are closer to each other than BGC and Makati are. So how are you going to say that Manila's CBDs are too concentrated? Ortigas is close to them but a little further North. Eastwood is further north, and so is Cubao. Binondo, downtown Manila, Newport City, and Bay City are all along Manila Bay. And Alabang is way far south.

The only difference I see is that Jakarta's skyscrapers are more stretched out along highways (like Dubai), while Manila's skyscrapers are clustered.

Well to be fair that makes the cbd not as clustered as you claim them to be, since they're built in "different cities". Not a bad thing at all. The difference is while Jakarta develop naturally along the major avenues, in Manila you have private developers building different cbd.

Last edited by Mangadi; 05-15-2019 at 10:39 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 10:30 PM

400 posts, read 236,471 times
Quote:

You said Makati is 700 bla bla bla, while SCBD is only 45 bla bla bla Mega Kuningan 54 bla bla bla. In other words Makati is larger than 7 times of SCBD-MegaKuningan. I just wanna clarify that this is MISLEADING. The real built up area of SCBD-Mega Kuningan is more than enough to swallow whole Makati.

Be objective and see the larger aerial view of Jakarta and MetroManila. You can still see clusters of tall buildings in Jakarta ouside and far away from SCBD-MegaKuningan. Even North Jakarta is still missing from that pic.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutra View Post
That would be great, but I doubt it. The government is focusing more on New Clark City & Pampanga to alleviate Manila's woes more than anything else right now.
Have you been to Manila recently? BGC, Makati, Ortigas, and Bay City are still booming with construction everywhere. New Clark City will be a secondary capital but Metro Manila will still be the most important city for business. Just like when Indonesia builds its new capital, Jakarta will still be most important.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
You said Makati is 700 bla bla bla, while SCBD is only 45 bla bla bla Mega Kuningan 54 bla bla bla. In other words Makati is larger than 7 times of SCBD-MegaKuningan. I just wanna clarify that this is MISLEADING. The real built up area of SCBD-Mega Kuningan is more than enough to swallow whole Makati.

Be objective and see the larger aerial view of Jakarta and MetroManila. You can still see clusters of tall buildings in Jakarta ouside and far away from SCBD-MegaKuningan. Even North Jakarta is still missing from that pic.

I'm only counting developed CBD areas. I mention when I'm counting extra wealthy residential areas that aren't CBD. So Makati CBD is about 170 hectares. The CBDs in northern Makati are another 40. BGC including McKinley Hill/McKinley West is 280 hectares. Ortigas is 100. Eastwood is 17. Newport is 25. Bay City is 500, but its not fully built yet. Alabang is 240, but it's more spread out like Jakarta's CBDs. It's in a more suburban part of Manila, like South Jakarta. I'm not counting Binondo or downtown Manila because they're a mess. Not counting Cubao either. So just CBD areas alone (not counting surrounding areas or areas in between) Manila’s CBDs are much bigger than Jakarta's CBD areas alone.

Just because SCBD and Mega Kuningan are spread out along highways and are kinda connected in that way doesnt mean that all the areas in between are part of the CBD. Some of those areas arent even developed or nice. Jakarta's CBDs will continue to spread out along highways but that doesnt really make them bigger. You're coming from a very Jakarta/Dubai perspective where you think more skyscrapers spread all over the place is better. Talk to me when you guys build a clustered, walkable city like Makati CBD.

Last edited by manolopo; 05-15-2019 at 11:18 PM..

Old 05-15-2019, 11:25 PM

1,002 posts, read 896,820 times
Quote:
Just like when Indonesia builds its new capital, Jakarta will still be most important.
maybe be slowly built a new business center in the new capital , because the government is looking for vast tracts of land in kalimantan and maybe now our government is switching just building a government city center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia