U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-22-2019, 10:47 PM
 
226 posts, read 52,585 times
Reputation: 34

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
highways, malls, and just looking at skyscrapers from afar is also boring. Walkability is one of the biggest draws of a city. That and architecture. Why do you think people love European cities so much? Manila actually has neighborhoods that you can get out and walk around to experience. Manila has better air, more green spaces, more intact historic districts. Lots of museums.
Meh ... comprehend please ...

I don't wanna talk about walkability thingy anymore. Too much for such less fundamental thing. Why don't you talk about security, distribution of wealth, poor infrastructures, etc and how Manila tries to fix these problems. CBD is just tiny bit area of the whole MetroManila in which the lower economic class people rarely or never at all visit and enjoy the "walkability".

In ASEAN, Philippines has among the highest % of urban pop living in slum, at staggering 38% vs Indonesia's 21% (that's almost double, Dude). And still you prefer to talk about walkability? Duhhh
https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/ind...UR.ZS/rankings

You can see how we posted so many updates of ongoing projects all over Jakarta, inside and outside CBD area, from eradicating slum, building rapid transit, building more friendly pedestrian way, prevent flooding, to building skyscrapers, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-22-2019, 10:55 PM
 
392 posts, read 103,419 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
Meh ... comprehend please ...

I don't wanna talk about walkability thingy anymore. Too much for such less fundamental thing. Why don't you talk about security, distribution of wealth, poor infrastructures, etc and how Manila tries to fix these problems. CBD is just tiny bit area of the whole MetroManila in which the lower economic class people rarely or never at all visit and enjoy the "walkability".

In ASEAN, Philippines has among the highest % of urban pop living in slum, at staggering 38% vs Indonesia's 21% (that's almost double, Dude). And still you prefer to talk about walkability? Duhhh
https://www.indexmundi.com/facts/ind...UR.ZS/rankings

You can see how we posted so many updates of ongoing projects all over Jakarta, inside and outside CBD area, from eradicating slum, building rapid transit, building more friendly pedestrian way, prevent flooding, to building skyscrapers, etc.

We're talking about Manila vs Jakarta, and Manila has a higher quality of life. So it's not just walkability that makes Manila better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-22-2019, 11:02 PM
 
392 posts, read 103,419 times
Reputation: 93
Ortigas, the oldest of the big 3 main CBDs. The one we dont talk about a lot. They just expanded the elevated walkway network to make it easier to get around.



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erND92nlmNI


I know Bangkok and Hong Kong already have these. Makati also has a long network of elevated walkways too (also underground too). Manila is starting a $100 million project to expand these elevated walkways outside of the CBDs too
https://www.asianjournal.com/philipp...-construction/
They're calling them "greenways" because they're going to have a lot of greenery around them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 02:06 AM
 
25 posts, read 3,737 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
Too boring to just discuss about Jakarta and Manila, moreover you guys are the best at cherrypicking, only talk about CBD and it's walkability or whatever bla bla bla ... B to the O to the R then I and N and G

Though we all know, slum in Manila is among the largest in the region. Safety is also a big issue. But yeah, it's well covered .... upsss .... sorry
Neither provide actual arguments, what does it even matter? coldest town in the region? why?

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
highways, malls, and just looking at skyscrapers from afar is also boring. Walkability is one of the biggest draws of a city. That and architecture. Why do you think people love European cities so much? Manila actually has neighborhoods that you can get out and walk around to experience. Manila has better air, more green spaces, more intact historic districts. Lots of museums.
That's not true, despite having poor walkability Bali is still one of the world's most famous places.

Are you implying that Metro Manila as a whole are comparable to European cities in term of walkability? which is probably not true, as you only need to walk a few miles out from CBD area and see roads with no pavement. Plus the public transportation is very inconvenient, so these privately developed area provided the service themself.

Better air? more green space? maybe (even though most of the green space in MM is concentrated in Quezon). However in terms of historic district, Jakarta definitely have more surviving architecture. Not only because it wasn't destroyed by war, but also because Philippines government don't take care of the older buildings that much.

https://lifestyle.inquirer.net/32021...rk-to-go-down/

The oldtown of Jakarta is only a part of the old town, if you care to go southward like Monas, Menteng and Jatinegara.. there are plenty of old buildings scattered around. Most of the colonial era government building, train stations, major office structure, and tonnes of villas survived. Menteng district is recorded to have around 1200 colonial era villas. Jakarta is certainly NOT the best example of retained old district, but buildings with heritage status don't just get demolished for development as easily today.

If you go to other major cities like Bandung, Surabaya, Semarang and Medan, you will see that most still exist. Even VOC era townhouses/plantation villas exist in Jakarta:


https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/475552041897880559/

Or more "recent" ones (my photo):

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 02:27 AM
 
226 posts, read 52,585 times
Reputation: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangadi View Post
Neither provide actual arguments, what does it even matter? coldest town in the region? why?
Dunno who starts which city has lower temperature thingy. Just go with the flow, and it's surely more fun than discussing about the exact same thing for pages. B-O-R-I-N-G


Quote:
That's not true, despite having poor walkability Bali is still one of the world's most famous places.

Are you implying that Metro Manila as a whole are comparable to European cities in term of walkability? which is probably not true, as you only need to walk a few miles out from CBD area and see roads with no pavement. Plus the public transportation is very inconvenient, so these privately developed area provided the service themself.

Better air? more green space? maybe (even though most of the green space in MM is concentrated in Quezon). However in terms of historic district, Jakarta definitely have more surviving architecture. Not only because it wasn't destroyed by war, but also because Philippines government don't take care of the older buildings that much.

https://lifestyle.inquirer.net/32021...rk-to-go-down/

The oldtown of Jakarta is only a part of the old town, if you care to go southward like Monas, Menteng and Jatinegara.. there are plenty of old buildings scattered around. Most of the colonial era government building, train stations, major office structure, and tonnes of villas survived. Menteng district is recorded to have around 1200 colonial era villas. Jakarta is certainly NOT the best example of retained old district, but buildings with heritage status don't just get demolished for development as easily today.

If you go to other major cities like Bandung, Surabaya, Semarang and Medan, you will see that most still exist. Even VOC era townhouses/plantation villas exist in Jakarta:


https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/475552041897880559/

Or more "recent" ones (my photo):
It gives no effect. I have discussed the same thing repeatedly, again and again about walkability of Manila is only limited to its CBDs, small part of the city that is managed by private entity like Ayala. The rest of the city under Govt control is just blahh ... But as you see, they keep singing the same old song about how walkable BGC, Makati, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 02:35 AM
 
25 posts, read 3,737 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
Dunno who starts which city has lower temperature thingy. Just go with the flow, and it's surely more fun than discussing about the exact same thing for pages. B-O-R-I-N-G



It gives no effect. I have discussed the same thing repeatedly, again and again about walkability of Manila is only limited to its CBDs, small part of the city that is managed by private entity like Ayala. The rest of the city under Govt control is just blahh ... But as you see, they keep singing the same old song about how walkable BGC, Makati, etc.
Because walkability is important, though for Jakarta it would take years before the car-centric development wares off. Besides if we're talking about pavement in city centers, Monas towards South Jakarta is pretty ok-ish. Its not hard to grab the Transjakarta bus, if I wanted to go from the museum to Kota or GI.

The problem with walkability is not only Jakarta's problem, its a national one. Nearly all cities in the country is not walkable enough. I can understand the lack of public transportation is provincial towns or small cities, but Surabaya, Bandung or Medan is pretty bad.

However, just because some areas in Manila is better to walk around, its quiet foolish to say that its better as a whole because of it. Jakarta have way better road network and train services to get around. But if they wanted to believe that, what right do we have to say?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 03:50 PM
 
621 posts, read 383,013 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangadi View Post
Because walkability is important, though for Jakarta it would take years before the car-centric development wares off. Besides if we're talking about pavement in city centers, Monas towards South Jakarta is pretty ok-ish. Its not hard to grab the Transjakarta bus, if I wanted to go from the museum to Kota or GI.

The problem with walkability is not only Jakarta's problem, its a national one. Nearly all cities in the country is not walkable enough. I can understand the lack of public transportation is provincial towns or small cities, but Surabaya, Bandung or Medan is pretty bad.

However, just because some areas in Manila is better to walk around, its quiet foolish to say that its better as a whole because of it. Jakarta have way better road network and train services to get around. But if they wanted to believe that, what right do we have to say?
Mah friend, its not just SOME but we can categorize them to SEVERAL. So the walkability point is valid. Better rail network yes but better train system as whole, nah. Better road network is also up for contention.

That cold thing issue was brought up by one of your Indonesian fellows just pick between the two who keeps on dissing me about other cities in your country when all I mentioned was we have already secondary capitals the other one being the summer capital, and then suddenly they posted randomly so many other cities when the reason of my post was to point out that New Clark City is not merely a secondary capital but the main capital.

And btw where did your Bali comment being most popular stemmed from?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 04:03 PM
 
621 posts, read 383,013 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
lol, none of the countries in Southeast Asia have winter ,don't you brag ,Do you really want the climate in your country like Europe ? Philipines including tropical and most have a climate similar to Sulawesi that's why plants, animals are mostly similar to Sulawesi.
Another uninformed guy/gal. Google is just there to save your ignorance. Kindly please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 05:19 PM
 
25 posts, read 3,737 times
Reputation: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Mah friend, its not just SOME but we can categorize them to SEVERAL. So the walkability point is valid. Better rail network yes but better train system as whole, nah. Better road network is also up for contention.

That cold thing issue was brought up by one of your Indonesian fellows just pick between the two who keeps on dissing me about other cities in your country when all I mentioned was we have already secondary capitals the other one being the summer capital, and then suddenly they posted randomly so many other cities when the reason of my post was to point out that New Clark City is not merely a secondary capital but the main capital.

And btw where did your Bali comment being most popular stemmed from?
Well considering that we have more expressway in the capital, with inner and outer ring road covering the metropolis, isn't it rather obvious. There are 393 km of controlled access expressway in Jakarta vs PH's whole country of 420KM.

Master Plan for High Standard Highways/Expressways for PPP | Department of Public Works and Highways

If we need to bring train system as a whole, Jakarta is also more advanced. KRL Jabodetabek now have electronic ticketing machine, tap cash cards and easily obtainable e-cards - which I can use to pay MRT and Transjakarta. I can buy credits using my phone too.


https://flic.kr/p/2eqwWMi

https://www.kompasiana.com/amadsudarsih/568e4b04c923bdb908127c02/commuter-vending-machine-mesin-loket-tiket-krl?page=all

Plus we actually have trains that goes to the airport. Did I say airport?

If we are talking about 2nd capitals with presidential palace, then we have several others too. Well let's hope that our future capital will be sufficient.

"One of the most" popular, please read carefully. But I don't have to explain how popular the place is:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touris...1%E2%80%932018)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Touris...he_Philippines
\
https://www.gapurabali.com/news/2019...018/1548819004

Compared to Singapore+Brunei cross border tourism like Malaysia obviously we are more popular. But Thailand is still no 1 in SEA (though large chunk of visitors are "not-so poor begpackers"). Bali's tourist arrival is almost the same as the whole of Ph in 2018. Most Malaysian tourist usually go to places like Jakarta, Bandung or Surabaya to do cheap shopping.

Last edited by Mangadi; 05-23-2019 at 05:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-23-2019, 06:02 PM
 
480 posts, read 191,194 times
Reputation: 141
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Another uninformed guy/gal. Google is just there to save your ignorance. Kindly please.
Yeah, I don't need to search on Google .. and more better post about culture and nature than about business area,walkable bla bla bla

Dieng ( Central Java )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etDUS5_jaho

Nunukan ( North Kalimantan )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlBN6dIQvkc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top