U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2018, 03:21 AM

621 posts, read 384,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
As someone who has gone along for development work and is quite familiar with Klong Toey, no, that is not comparable and aside from that is not representative of a particularly common level of development. In regards to slums and poverty, Bangkok is much rosiee than Manila. Sure, time can only tell—that’s fine as shorly after WWII, it was commonly thought that the Philippines and Burma were going to have the easiest time in Southeast/East Asia and quickly become developed countries.

Obviously things changed course for both countries relative to others and that can happen again and there are so many factors that a very long-range prediction isn’t worth much. I agree with that, so I’m only talking about today and the likely near future when I say that there is absolutely no reasonable argument that Manila is more developed than Bangkok as there are certainly enough areas/sectors where Bangkok performs substantially better than Manila now.
Oh but it is a considerable slum area my friend. Don't discount it for saying they don't have slums because they have. Alright, then we go back with the older and younger brother analogy and were gonna be fine.

Again CBDs in Manila are better than Bangkoks. Gudnyt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2018, 03:28 AM

Quote:
As someone who has gone along for development work and is familiar with Khlong Toei, no, that is not comparable and aside from that is not representative of a particularly common level of development.

And though we’ve wandered a bit, once again, my reference to Bangkok waa a comparison of infrastructure. Even in this limited scope, I don’t see a reasonable argument for how Manila’s infrastructure is better. I’ve ridden the system there and there is no comparison.
What system have you rode? No comparison? I'd believe it if it was Singapore. Tuktuks? Wants some. Shessh

CBDs are infrastructure, right? Do you mean public infra?

Somehow would agree if it was public infra, but infrastructure is a combination of public and private infrastructure. Private infra that's where Manila is doing better than public.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohihi View Post
let them keep dreaming as older brother LMAO
Okay you are the youngest one not the older like Manila. lol. peace yow!

Old 12-09-2018, 03:31 AM

401 posts, read 106,754 times
Quote:
let them keep dreaming as older brother LMAO

and claim as the best CBD after Singapore LOL

I think it goes:

Singapore
KL
Manila

but I'm only talking about the quality of CBDs (downtown areas). Jakarta's CBDs are stretched out along highways, so they're not very walkable and they're usually small. Bangkok doesnt have large CBDs because it wasn't a well-planned out city. There is not much zoning. You can have a skyscraper right next to a small house.

Manila was able to plan out its CBDs better because a lot of the city had to be rebuilt after WW2. There was also a lot of open space, like the area where BGC is now. Just 20 years ago, it was mostly open space.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:38 AM

Quote:
keep dreaming
At least we have dreams and aspirations. Btw, it's a one liner for losers(of an argument).

Old 12-09-2018, 03:46 AM

22,194 posts, read 23,719,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
What system have you rode? No comparison? I'd believe it if it was Singapore. Tuktuks? Wants some. Shessh

CBDs are infrastructure, right? Do you mean public infra?

Somehow would agree if it was public infra, but infrastructure is a combination of public and private infrastructure. Private infra that's where Manila is doing better than public.
Your usage of the word infrastructure is pretty unique and uncommon. Certainly there is privately held and operated infrastructure that is used by the public, but the general idea of a CBD or some development tract does not usually get roped into being called infrastructure in and of itself. Itís weird that youíre trying to cobble together a way to get a ďwinĒ for Manila when the answer is straightforward and plainly visibleóno, infrastructure in Manila is not on par with Bangkok and it is not close.

Old 12-09-2018, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Oh but it is a considerable slum area my friend. Don't discount it for saying they don't have slums because they have. Alright, then we go back with the older and younger brother analogy and were gonna be fine.

Again CBDs in Manila are better than Bangkoks. Gudnyt.
Your analogy doesn’t actually draw any useful parallels. There are slums in Bangkok especially on the outskirts, but they aren’t generally comparable in terms of ubiquity or level of degredation for the most part. You also picked a poor choice for a Bangkok slum example given how much Khlong Toei has changed in the last three years or so. The largest concern in recent years has been shifted from regular electricity and sanitation services (keep in mind, this is a slum in the sense of people mostly living in structures without titles or permits, but are still actually housed and making a living and not begging and living on the streets) over to fears of gentrification and displacement. It’s almost as if you just googled “big slum banglok” instead of having actually been familiar with the place.

I feel like there might be something that you fundamentally don’t understand about the difference in the level of development between Thailland and the Philippines. Thailand is placed in a different development tier than the Philippines by the UN. Thailand’s HDI and inequality adjusted HDI is significantly higher than the Philippines and has been improving faster. Thailand’s per capita GDP whether adjusted for purchasing power parity or at nominal value is about three times that of the Philippines by the accounting of every major institution that accounts this. The percentage of people living below the poverty level calculated by any major institution that does this internationally puts the Philippines having higher to much much higher portions across the board. This is a vast difference and a nice private development stronghold on a relatively small tract meant to cater to a tiny proportion of the population with all that’s invested in it, simply can’t compete when talking about a city to city comparison of development. This isn’t a tiny bit of difference, but a substantial and immediately visible one. I think it’s a sign of missing the forest for the trees or a frog in a well to keep going back to ad nauseum how shiny this or that CBD with its malls and high-rises are. What they help do is provide a massively depressing massive contrast.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-09-2018 at 04:09 AM..

Old 12-09-2018, 04:00 AM

401 posts, read 106,754 times
Quote:
Your analogy doesn’t actually draw any useful parallels. There are slums in Bangkok especially on the outskirts, but they aren’t generally comparable in terms of ubiquity or level of degredation for the most part. You also picked a poor choice for a Bangkok slum example given how much Khlong Toei has changed in the last three years or so. The largest concern in recent years has been shifted from regular electricity and sanitation services (keep in mind, this is a slum in the sense of people mostlu living in structures without titles or permits, but are still actually housed and making a living and not begging and living on the streets) over to fears of gentrification and displacement. It’s almost as if you just googled “big slum banglok” instead of having actually been familiar with the place.

The typical neighborhood in Manila looks the same as the typical neighborhood in Bangkok

Bangkok
https://goo.gl/maps/5AHhLz5pxcu

Manila
https://goo.gl/maps/LqDexMeekYT2

These arent slum areas. These are where the regular people live. And the vast majority of both cities look identical. But when it comes to CBDs, Manila's are way nicer, cleaner, and more walkable.

I challenge you to find and post anything in Bangkok that can even rival Eastwood (one of Manila's smaller CBDs)
https://goo.gl/maps/9x8ZNovoB5q

Old 12-09-2018, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
The typical neighborhood in Manila looks the same as the typical neighborhood in Bangkok

Bangkok
https://goo.gl/maps/5AHhLz5pxcu

Manila
https://goo.gl/maps/LqDexMeekYT2

These arent slum areas. These are where the regular people live. And the vast majority of both cities look identical. But when it comes to CBDs, Manila's are way nicer, cleaner, and more walkable.

I challenge you to find and post anything in Bangkok that can even rival Eastwood (one of Manila's smaller CBDs)
https://goo.gl/maps/9x8ZNovoB5q
He is insisting on saying it's not close when reality and evidence is already shown on his very nose. Typical overrated, that's how its defined.

Mind he show evidences rather than making those personal assumptions? Btw OylCrumbler where are u from?

Old 12-09-2018, 04:29 AM

Quote:
He is insisting on saying it's not close when reality and evidence is already shown on his very nose. Typical overrated, that's how its defined.

Mind he show evidences rather than making those personal assumptions? Btw OylCrumbler where are u from?
The US and Taiwan. Where are you from?

Your evidence and argument itself are both ridiculous. One is that Iím not arguing about how nice a CBD looks, because as Iíve stated before, thatís pointless in regards to overall development or in the specific case of infrastructure. These small tracts are essentially making a nice spot for a tiny portion of the population. There is a massive difference in overall development between Thailand and the Philippines and thatís reflected in the cities. Look up any of the indices I pointed out if you ever come to tthe realization that picking out streetviews one at a time might not by itself be a good representative for overall level of development.

On the original point, look at a transit map and expansion map of either city and youíll see a difference and keep in mind that the bus system in Thailand is really usable.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-09-2018 at 04:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or