U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-09-2018, 07:35 AM
 
621 posts, read 383,508 times
Reputation: 145

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The US and Taiwan. Where are you from?

Your evidence and argument itself are both ridiculous. One is that Iím not arguing about how nice a CBD looks, because as Iíve stated before, thatís pointless in regards to overall development or in the specific case of infrastructure. These small tracts are essentially making a nice spot for a tiny portion of the population. There is a massive difference in overall development between Thailand and the Philippines and thatís reflected in the cities. Look up any of the indices I pointed out if you ever come to tthe realization that picking out streetviews one at a time might not by itself be a good representative for overall level of development.

On the original point, look at a transit map and expansion map of either city and youíll see a difference and keep in mind that the bus system in Thailand is really usable.
From the Phil's. Proud and grateful.

How extensive have you been able to get into Manilas overall vertebral transport and infrastructure system? I asked you what system you were referring to you rode in Manila and you cant give me an answer. And how can you say that those CBDs are small tracts of land when it comprises almost 30% of the total metro area? Do you think it doesn't make a very big impact when in fact they contribute a lot to the metros GDP?

Do you think bus system in the Phil's and Metro Manila aren't usable only Thailands is? Don't oversell Thailands nor Bangkoks transpo system because I only give a damn if it was near Seouls or Tokyos transpo system. As I mentioned earlier, they're ahead but still can be catched up in a matter of time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-09-2018, 09:32 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,154 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Reputation: 11625
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
From the Phil's. Proud and grateful.

How extensive have you been able to get into Manilas overall vertebral transport and infrastructure system? I asked you what system you were referring to you rode in Manila and you cant give me an answer. And how can you say that those CBDs are small tracts of land when it comprises almost 30% of the total metro area? Do you think it doesn't make a very big impact when in fact they contribute a lot to the metros GDP?

Do you think bus system in the Phil's and Metro Manila aren't usable only Thailands is? Don't oversell Thailands nor Bangkoks transpo system because I only give a damn if it was near Seouls or Tokyos transpo system. As I mentioned earlier, they're ahead but still can be catched up in a matter of time.
I was there for a while and rode LRT and MRT many times and the (commuter?) rail for travel. Those CBDs do not comprise 30% of the land area of the metro. It's been about five years since the last time around, but I don't see things having changed that drastically.

I did not use the buses much because they were pretty bad. Do you basically not know much about Bangkok? Is that why you can't see the obvious differences?

Also, do you think it might be possible that your pride in your home country might cloud your judgment a bit?

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-09-2018 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 09:44 AM
 
621 posts, read 383,508 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
I was there for a while and rode LRT and MRT many times and the (commuter?) rail for travel. Those CBDs do not comprise 30% of the land area of the metro. It's been about five years at this point, but I don't see things having changed that drastically.

I did not US the buses much because they were pretty bad. Do you basically not know much about Bangkok? Is that why you can't see the obvious differences?
How many percent then do you think if you know better? Have you been to all Manilas CBDs? Perhaps you are blind or not informed much to not see the drastic change. Ever heard of Paranaque Integrated terminal just recently opened patterned after Metro Seouls transpo system? Two more is set to open, one in Taguig and another in Bocaue. More is set to open.

How would you know they are pretty bad when you have not even tried or used it? Think about bias judgement even before using it. Next time, be open-minded and try them first.

No one is saying Bangkok isnt a bit ahead, but don't paint it as much like it is light years ahead because it is not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 10:00 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,154 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Reputation: 11625
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
How many percent then do you think if you know better? Have you been to all Manilas CBDs? Perhaps you are blind or not informed much to not see the drastic change. Ever heard of Paranaque Integrated terminal just recently opened patterned after Metro Seouls transpo system? Two more is set to open, one in Taguig and another in Bocaue. More is set to open.

How would you know they are pretty bad when you have not even tried or used it? Think about bias judgement even before using it. Next time, be open-minded and try them first.

No one is saying Bangkok isnt a bit ahead, but don't paint it as much like it is light years ahead because it is not.
When the word "much" is used, it doesn't meant not having tried or used them at all. It means using them infrequently after having tried it several times and finding them lacking.

Light years ahead is of course an imprecise statement. I only say that it is visibly and very apparently more developed overall and less grimy and impoverished-seeming overall. This is measured out in multiple indices for the countries at a whole. Think about this a bit--Thailand somehow has three times the per capita GDP of the Philippines whether by PPP or nominal value according to every single organization that tries to create a comparative measurement despite the fact they all have somewhat differing methodologies. At the same time, Thailand also has a somewhat lower GINI index and less inequality across the board by almost any organizations rating despite having differing methodologies. This means that Thailand with a larger per capita "pool of money" also distributes it somewhat more fairly which means that the resources poured into a place like Makati for the Philippines is that much more devastating because there was a smaller per capita pool to begin with. This is even reflected in an alternate name for BGC--The Fort.

Again, no one has said Bangkok or Thailand is light years ahead--that's you saying that. I am saying that it is visibly and very tangibly ahead. That is ahead by almost any metric that's reasonable and there are a lot of organizations using many different metrics that shore that argument. Being ahead across the board like that does not mean light years ahead because the former is a condition the latter is a magnitude.

Last edited by OyCrumbler; 12-09-2018 at 10:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 10:01 AM
 
621 posts, read 383,508 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohihi View Post
LMAO u produce GDP with build CBD

nice logic
CBDs are business districts, right? And much of the economic gains and big ticket business transactions are done on CBDs. Do you get much gain on residential areas? I suppose you get so much big ticket businesses on your warungs and such in Jakarta rather than on SBCD?

Have you tried googling how much Makati earns compared to the other cities within the metro?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 10:10 AM
 
621 posts, read 383,508 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
When you say the word "much" it doesn't meant not having tried or used them at all. It means using them infrequently after having tried it several times and finding them lacking.

Light years ahead is of course an imprecise statement. I only say that it is visibly and very apparently more developed overall and less grimy and impoverished-seeming overall. This is measured out in multiple indices for the countries at a whole. Think about this a bit--Thailand somehow has three times the per capita GDP of the Philippines whether by PPP or nominal value in almost all metrics. At the same time, Thailand also has a somewhat lower GINI index and less inequality across the board by almost any organizations rating. This means that Thailand with a larger per capita "pool of money" also distributes it somewhat more fairly which means that the resources poured into a place like Makati for the Philippines is that much more devastating because there was a smaller per capita pool to begin with. Again, no one has said Bangkok or Thailand is light years ahead--that's you saying that. I am saying that it is visibly and very tangibly ahead. That is ahead by almost any metric that's reasonable and there are a lot of organizations using many different metrics that shore that argument. Being ahead across the board like that does not mean light years ahead because the former is a condition the latter is a magnitude.
Now you are taking back what you said that you have not even tried them? Think about inconsistency on your statements. From the words in Filipino, "ano ba talaga bebe?". Okay go on with your belief including the 3 times PPP and nominal. Did you not know that Thailand is following the footsteps of Japans aging population? The only difference is that Japan is already developed while Thailand will have a hard time passing the middle income trap, large part of which due to this.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against Thailand, but that is the harsh reality and hope they can cope up with what is ahead. I also don't like how you paint it with exaggerations because no one know yourself better,other than you, than your neighbors.

Just go with the quality of life index and hdi which are better indicators of economics of each countries and cities. Look where Bangkok and Manila is and how slim is the gap. End of the story

Last edited by neMarL; 12-09-2018 at 10:20 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 10:19 AM
 
Location: In the heights
22,154 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Reputation: 11625
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Now you are taking back what you said that you have not even tried them? Think about inconsistency on your statements. From the words in Filipino, "ano ba talaga bebe?". Okay go on with your belief including the 3 times PPP and nominal. Did you not know that Thailand is following the footsteps of Japans aging population? The only difference is that Japan is already developed while Thailand will have a hard time passing the middle income trap, large part of which due to this.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against Thailand, but that is the harsh reality and hope they can cope up with what is ahead. I also don't like how you paint it with exaggerations because no one know yourself better,other than you, than your neighbors.
No, I'm saying that you missed some of the meaning because English is a second language for you. Try re-reading the sentence.

If you don't do ____ much, that doesn't mean not doing it at all. That's not what that means. In English, it means with relatively little frequency or to little magnitude.

Let me help you on another matter. You might by misusing the word "belief" because that's not what the difference in GDP is as per these links for per capita nominal and PPP.

This is not a belief thing where we're going by an opinion on what the measurements are saying. I can understand someone disagreeing with the methodologies, but you need to articulate that. In this case, you'd have to articulate it against six different methodologies all pointing at the same thing. This isn't something like a slight 20% difference that can get erased in a short time period though I did misspeak--some of the differences are more like double than triple. My mistake!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 12:15 PM
 
621 posts, read 383,508 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
No, I'm saying that you missed some of the meaning because English is a second language for you. Try re-reading the sentence.

If you don't do ____ much, that doesn't mean not doing it at all. That's not what that means. In English, it means with relatively little frequency or to little magnitude.

Let me help you on another matter. You might by misusing the word "belief" because that's not what the difference in GDP is as per these links for per capita nominal and PPP.

This is not a belief thing where we're going by an opinion on what the measurements are saying. I can understand someone disagreeing with the methodologies, but you need to articulate that. In this case, you'd have to articulate it against six different methodologies all pointing at the same thing. This isn't something like a slight 20% difference that can get erased in a short time period though I did misspeak--some of the differences are more like double than triple. My mistake!
Did not saw that much thing when I first read it my bad.

So 6590 is somehow 3 times more than 2976? And 17,786 is SOMEHOW 3 times more than 8229? So yeah it is a belief because I am questioning your mathematical knowledge. Going by these figures, nope they are not somehow 3 times, they are only 2+ something more but nowhere near or almost 3 times as you claim. If you cant qunatify them using the bare head, you might want to use a calculator. Thank goodness you've admitted you're wrong. Duh

Last edited by neMarL; 12-09-2018 at 12:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 12:58 PM
 
393 posts, read 104,156 times
Reputation: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohihi View Post
what they can brag only cbd and mall

thats it

Who is talking about malls? I'm not. I dont care about them.

CBDs in Manila are the exact opposite of malls. CBDs are areas where you can easily walk around and access shops, restaurants, and entertainment right on the street-level. There are also plenty of parks to hang out in, and plenty of residential areas right there in the CBD. So you can essentially live, work, and play in the area and you dont even need a car. BGC has its own bus system, and they're building a subway that connects BGC to the other major CBDs.

Jakarta doesnt have any area that is similar to BGC

Video enters BGC around the 2:00 mark

or even Eastwood, which is like a smaller version of BGC


Jakarta decided to develop its CBDs along big highways, so they're not very walkable. For example, just look at SCBD or Mega Kuningan. They're not easy to walk around unless you're inside a mall. These areas are built more for cars than pedestrians. Manila and Jakarta are both very car-centric, but Manila has some CBDs that are very pedestrian-friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-09-2018, 04:50 PM
 
Location: In the heights
22,154 posts, read 23,676,300 times
Reputation: 11625
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Did not saw that much thing when I first read it my bad.

So 6590 is somehow 3 times more than 2976? And 17,786 is SOMEHOW 3 times more than 8229? So yeah it is a belief because I am questioning your mathematical knowledge. Going by these figures, nope they are not somehow 3 times, they are only 2+ something more but nowhere near or almost 3 times as you claim. If you cant qunatify them using the bare head, you might want to use a calculator. Thank goodness you've admitted you're wrong. Duh
Right, I was going on faulty memory of the stats. You can see in the quote you made of me that I apologized for the mistake. Double the gdp per capita across the board is not three times, and I erred in saying that it was three times difference. A more than times difference is still a vast difference that even an incredibly good decade for one and an incredibly good decade for the other can really adjust. It is still notably very different. On the other hand, the relatively minor 20 something percent GDP per capita advantage Indonesia has over the Philippines is something that a decade can reasonably change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top