U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2019, 04:32 AM

621 posts, read 381,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erran View Post
Both in GDP and GDP percapita, nominal and PPP, Indonesia is richer, Honey.
Although both HDI and GNI(nominal) per capita Philippines is still ahead, sweetheart. How would you explain that? That Indonesia is only richer in papers but on actual standard of living and on ground level Philippines is still slightly well off? Say what now?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...al)_per_capita

Why would we be jealous? Philippines has almost everything Indonesia has except Bali (but you dont have Palawan, Boracay, Batanes and Baguio too)

Last edited by neMarL; 01-12-2019 at 05:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2019, 05:31 AM

Blah blah blah hahaha.

Old 01-12-2019, 05:51 AM

386 posts, read 101,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
like what?

Philippines' typical malls are usually huge and stretch horizontally. And they are too basic for my taste.
Indonesia's malls are smaller, go vertically, more stylish and modern. And Jakarta has lots of them (173 as of 2014), maybe it's 190s now.

But pretty useless to discuss who has better malls? Since, I'm not a crazy mall person myself, it cringes me.
Did you actually look at the video? It's not a typical mall. It's an outdoor walkable district surrounding a park. All the Jakarta malls are indoor and typical.

You can see it better in this video

You're bragging about having a "vertical mall" as if that makes it less of a mall. It's still a typical mall.

In Jakarta, people dont seem to like being outdoors. There's no walkable areas like this

People are actually strolling, dining, and hanging out OUTSIDE. Enjoying their city. Your walkable areas are all malls.

Last edited by manolopo; 01-12-2019 at 06:03 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 05:59 AM

223 posts, read 51,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Although both HDI and GNI(nominal) per capita Philippines is still ahead, sweetheart. How would you explain that? That Indonesia is only richer in papers but on actual standard of living and on ground level Philippines is still slightly well off? Say what now?

Why would we be jealous? Philippines has almost everything Indonesia has except Bali (but you dont have Palawan, Boracay, Batanes and Baguio too)
Richer onn paper? Can you be more ignorant than this? Do you know what GDP and GNI? You are clueless aren't you? 3,540 Vs 3,660 and you brag about this tiny weeny difference?

While in fact Indo's GNI per capita PPP is way higher than Philippines'. Indo's 11,900 Vs Phil's 10,030

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GNP.PCAP.PP.CD

Now who's richer only on paper?

About HDI, wait a few years, honey. It's certain that Indonesia will overtake, just like other measurements.

Last edited by Landove; 01-12-2019 at 06:49 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Did you actually look at the video? It's not a typical mall. It's an outdoor walkable district surrounding a park. All the Jakarta malls are indoor and typical.

You can see it better in this video

You're bragging about having a "vertical mall" as if that makes it less of a mall. It's still a typical mall.

In Jakarta, people dont seem to like being outdoors. There's no walkable areas like this

People are actually strolling, dining, and hanging out OUTSIDE. Enjoying their city. Your walkable areas are all malls.

The point is? Jakarta is hot and humid. Jakartans visit malls because it offers air-con hangout areas. If you want outdoor shopping malls, go to Bandung instead where the weather is nicer. LOL

Many malls do have outdoor areas though, just like this. As you see not many people are outside during the day.

Enough with malls, what's the point discussing about it anyway?

Old 01-12-2019, 06:52 AM

Why are we talking about Indonesia vs the Philippines? This is Jakarta vs Manila. That's like starting a thread called "Chicago vs Rome" and then start talking about the United States vs Italy.

Anyways, Jakarta and Manila are equal in most aspects. But Jakarta wins in rail because it has such a large commuter rail system. But Manila is finishing up an additional MRT line this year and has started construction on 2 subway lines.

Manila wins in walkable districts. While Jakarta is so heavily focused on malls, Manila at least tries to create areas that are pedestrian-friendly.

There are no areas in Jakarta like these.

BGC

Makati

As you can see in the video, Makati is so pedestrian-friendly that they even built a network of underground walkways so that pedestrians dont have to wait for lights to cross the road. I've never seen that in another city. In another part of Makati, there's also a network of elevated walkways.

Eastwood

Last edited by manolopo; 01-12-2019 at 07:21 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 06:55 AM

Quote:
The point is? Jakarta is hot and humid. Jakartans visit malls because it offers air-con hangout areas. If you want outdoor shopping malls, go to Bandung instead where the weather is nicer. LOL
Enough with malls, what's the point discussing about it anyway?

I'm not talking about malls. I'm talking about walkable districts. Jakarta doesnt seem to have them. And its climate is no excuse, because Manila and Jakarta have the same climate. And Manila is rainier. So really, Manila should have less walkable areas because the climate is either too rainy or too hot most of the year. But no, it has more walkable areas than Jakarta. People are actually outside enjoying their city. Not stuck walking around a mall

Old 01-12-2019, 08:27 AM

SCBD in Jakarta

It's more built for cars than for people. Yes, there are sidewalks and a few people walking, but there's not much next to the sidewalks except big roads on one side and bushes or walls on the other. Not much to see or do for people walking around. There's a big mall in the middle, so most people are inside.

BGC in Manila

See all the people outside? See how right next to the sidewalks, there are all kinds of restaurants and shops for people to walk into? That's why more people walk around BGC than SCBD, because it's easier to walk around, and there are actually many things for people to see and do. Just look how many people are hanging out in the video. That's a true urban district.

Last edited by manolopo; 01-12-2019 at 08:37 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Richer onn paper? Can you be more ignorant than this? Do you know what GDP and GNI? You are clueless aren't you? 3,540 Vs 3,660 and you brag about this tiny weeny difference?

While in fact Indo's GNI per capita PPP is way higher than Philippines'. Indo's 11,900 Vs Phil's 10,030

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GNP.PCAP.PP.CD

Now who's richer only on paper?

About HDI, wait a few years, honey. It's certain that Indonesia will overtake, just like other measurements.
Do I know GDP and GNI? Do you? Oķay just read the link below pls.
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...dp-and-gnp.asp

You should know the difference between GNI nominal and PPP, here I fetched you the links so that you'll know better.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...PP)_per_capita

Sweetie, just prove it and overtake it in HDI enough of so many blah blah talks.

Anyway, I have already proven that in some metrics Philippines is richer. And it is not just imo, mind you. We have substantial basis with valid indeces to prove.

Back to topic.

Old 01-12-2019, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Do I know GDP and GNI? Do you? Oķay just read the link below pls.
https://www.investopedia.com/ask/ans...dp-and-gnp.asp

You should know the difference between GNI nominal and PPP, here I fetched you the links so that you'll know better.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...PP)_per_capita

Sweetie, just prove it and overtake it in HDI enough of so many blah blah talks.

Anyway, I have already proven that in some metrics Philippines is richer. And it is not just imo, mind you. We have substantial basis with valid indeces to prove.

Back to topic.
Typical ...
When you are not sure, asking back so he will explain to you instead.

To choose between nominal and PPP, I'll take PPP anytime coz it's adjusted with daily costs, so you will not be "rich only on paper".

Why did I say so about HDI? Since HDI uses outdated data from few years ago. If other more update indicators say Indonesia is ahead now, HDI will follow it in the near future. Now you know, Honey ... will you thank me?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or