Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2019, 06:15 PM

400 posts, read 238,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
I only counted what they labeled “skyscraper” on the side, but there are a lot of buildings taller than 100 m that are labeled as highrises and not skyscrapers. So if you count them for Jakarta it’s actually not 501 because there are 23 buildings on page 7-8 that are shorter than 328 feet (100 m). Also subtract the non-buildings like telecommunications towers and monuments. So it comes out to 476 skyscrapers in Jakarta.

Now looking at Metro Manila and doing the same thing- making sure to only count buildings taller than 328 feet and not counting non-buildings.

Makati- 164
Quezon City- 84
Taguig (BGC)- 82
Manila- 71
Mandaluyong-62
Pasig- 53
San Juan- 10
Pasay- 6
Muntinlupa- 5
Parañaque- 3

So that comes out to 540 skyscrapers for Manila. Again, this is an apples to apples comparison because Metro Manila and Jakarta are both the National Capital Region/ Special Capital Region and include several different cities. Metro Manila and Jakarta also have around the same land area. But in Jakarta, for some reason North Jakarta, South Jakarta etc arent listed on skyscraper sites as different cities. Thats why it’s much easier to find the info all in one place
You miss some in Makati. And maybe in other cities? I'm too lazy to check.
And what's with the labeling, it's confusing. Some 150m labelled as "highrises", but the other 100m labelled as "skyscrapers"? It's like they don't even know what they are talking about.

Anyway, Jakarta has special status as Special Capital Region, it is a province on its own, and a single functioning city. The Governor has the rights to appoint 5 Mayors and 1 Regent to lead 6 divided regions of the city called municipalities (Jakarta Pusat, Jakarta Selatan, etc). Municipality is not really a functional city since each doesn't have congress of its own.

If you ask, formal and constitutional wise Jakarta is not comparable to MetroManila, you need to bring the rest of Bodetabek in. BUT functional wise, IMO it is. Since if you include Bodetabek, it will be too big.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2019, 07:07 PM

400 posts, read 238,344 times
Can't we have a healthy discussion? Geeeezzz ...
People from 2 giant messes show what they are best at ... creating mess, just like their cities.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:41 PM

1,117 posts, read 841,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
You miss some in Makati. And maybe in other cities? I'm too lazy to check.
And what's with the labeling, it's confusing. Some 150m labelled as "highrises", but the other 100m labelled as "skyscrapers"? It's like they don't even know what they are talking about.

Anyway, Jakarta has special status as Special Capital Region, it is a province on its own, and a single functioning city. The Governor has the rights to appoint 5 Mayors and 1 Regent to lead 6 divided regions of the city called municipalities (Jakarta Pusat, Jakarta Selatan, etc). Municipality is not really a functional city since each doesn't have congress of its own.

If you ask, formal and constitutional wise Jakarta is not comparable to MetroManila, you need to bring the rest of Bodetabek in. BUT functional wise, IMO it is. Since if you include Bodetabek, it will be too big.

I noticed that the one with ≈ are estimates of height, and they dont label them as skyscrapers, even if they're over 100m, they label them as highrises. I guess they dont want to label them skyscrapers unless they have an official height. There's a lot of buildings in Jakarta and Manila like that.

Metro Manila is also like its own province, except there's no governor. (It used to have a governor until 1990). All the different cities have the own mayor. Technically on paper Manila is the capital of the Philippines. But in function, the whole Metro Manila is the capital because government entities are spread out in different cities. For example, the Senate is in Pasay City. The House of Representatives is in Quezon City. And different national departments are spread throughout MM. Thats why all of MM is the National Capital Region

Old 01-29-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohohihi View Post
The fact is water drill in jakarta here is illegal / prohibited,.. How about Manila? selling rubbish food is legal there?
Get your normal food first then tell me about quality of life
I dont know if it's legal or illegal. Even if it was illegal, some Filipinos would still do it because thats how Filipinos are.

But we were talking about infrastructure. Someone mentioned that Manila has bad infrastructure. Yeah, it does. But Jakarta has its fair share of bad infrastructure too, like the water infrastructure. Infrastructure doesnt just mean highways and transportation. And those people in Jakarta are drilling because they dont have access to piped water. So they're trying to make a solution for themselves because people tend to look out for themselves. Filipinos would do the same thing.

Honestly, both cities have a lot of pluses and minuses in different aspects

Old 01-29-2019, 11:34 PM

90 posts, read 111,156 times
Quote:
compare bali to phuket
boracy is same to our gili
true bali to phuket most appropriate to compared it many have similarities

Old 01-29-2019, 11:42 PM

90 posts, read 111,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
still proud with 1 million korean tourist visit to philipines and in Indo most tourist come from westren country hehehe
ulalalalalala I have never seen many Korean tourists visit the philippines, I searched on YouTube never found it " kosong"😂🤣🤦*♀️

Old 01-30-2019, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Stupid, so you call other developing country have bad infrastructure if using drill water?
First: Use drill water is fine all country did it even your country,
Its about how u can get free water from the source.

But if u exploit them too much and no regulation its became dangerous.
Company / individual want get more benefit using drill water, even water company provide pipe installation
So its not about water pipe infrastructure

That's why goverment take care to those company / individual using drill water
Now illegal / prohibited by law and regulation here in Jakarta
So tell me, ur government take care to those people eat rubbish selling rubbish food?
For sure our government will arrest those people selling rubbish and ban rubbish food
I'm not sure if you've been out of the country, but all over the world, people dig through the trash to get food. It's called "dumpster-diving" There's a whole wikipedia article about it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster_diving

There's all kinds of youtube videos about it, and these arent Filipinos
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...umpster+diving

When there's wasted food, there will always be poor people eating the leftovers. It's not really something you can ban.

You cant survive without water. But why does less than 50% of Jakarta have access to piped water? This is not normal. Instead of banning drilling in Jakarta, you should also get those people piped water into their homes. Cities should have plumbing. Why does half the city's population not have plumbing? If you would have solved this earlier, then the city wouldnt be sinking like it is. In Manila, 86-94% of the population have piped water in their homes https://www.philstar.com/opinion/201...4qspEdID0OT.99

It's not just piped-water but also sewage...

Here's another headline 96% of Jakarta has no sewage system
So only 4% has access to sewage drainage and treatment.

In Manila, the sewage situation is still bad, but not nearly as bad as Jakarta. In Manila, it's 15% of the population who are connected to sewage lines
MWSS vows to support Manila Bay rehab, comply with SC order - Manila Standard

So how can you say anything about bad infrastructure when Jakarta isn't even getting 50% of people their most basic need (water)

Old 01-30-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
All over the world? Tell me which city same worse eating / selling rubbish like in Manila? dont tell me old video criminal selling rotten food here

We build for those Jakarta Sewager System project start 2017-2022
https://properti.kompas.com/read/201...l-dimulai-2019

We already start those giant seawall
Regulation and law enforcement for those illegal drill water
So is your government have plan for those people eat/selling rubbish? dont tell excuse

Anyway your water quality worse than Jakarta
https://www.arcadis.com/en/global/ou...ture-success-/
Sewage is great, but what are you doing about the 50% of the population who dont have water? You told them they cant drill, and you’re building a seawall (which was mostly scrapped) but those things dont solve the problem that those people dont have water. Why dont you build them some pipes? If your city had good infrastructure, it would already have pipes

And dumpster diving is a problem in every city around the world. Where there is waste, there will be dumpster-diving. Even in rich cities. Even if you make it illegal. There’s a whole article about it https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dumpster_diving

The article mentions many different countries. The US doesnt even have a federal law against dumpster diving, but you want the Philippines to have a federal law against it?

Old 01-30-2019, 03:35 PM

732 posts, read 779,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnycaritta View Post
ulalalalalala I have never seen many Korean tourists visit the philippines, I searched on YouTube never found it " kosong"������*♀️
you're funny! looking for Korean tourists on youtube? lol

anyway, let me do the honor for you.

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...in+philippines

The first landport in Metro Manila. The Parañaque Integrated Terminal Exchange (PITX)

Old 01-30-2019, 03:58 PM

732 posts, read 779,677 times
Taguig Integrated Terminal Exchange (Taguig ITX)

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia