U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2019, 05:46 PM

22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I think we can all say we learned something from all this back-and-forth. Mostly, we learned to go to Singapore instead.
Ha, right? This thread has basically been a teardown of Jakarta and Manila with endless youtube videos that aren’t very interesting for the most part. Pretty much a great endorsement to go to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok if you’re looking to travel to a major SEA city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2019, 06:11 PM

392 posts, read 103,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
Jakarta has a beautiful skyline and highways. It's nice to look at. But you can see how Jakarta's city centers are set up differently from Manila. In Jakarta, they're strung out along the highways. It's nice to look at from the sky, but on the ground-level, it makes the city very car-centric, and not vibrant.

Here's what a vibrant (and clean) city center looks like

The guy walks really slow, but you can scroll the video and see there's outdoor cafes, restaurants, stores, green spaces, places to sit, street art, murals, skyscrapers, street markets, people walking around all over the place. Lots of different activity and hardly any cars getting in the way. That's what a vibrant city center looks like on the ground-level.

Last edited by manolopo; 02-17-2019 at 06:59 PM..

Old 02-17-2019, 06:56 PM

226 posts, read 52,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Ha, right? This thread has basically been a teardown of Jakarta and Manila with endless youtube videos that aren’t very interesting for the most part. Pretty much a great endorsement to go to Singapore, Kuala Lumpur or Bangkok if you’re looking to travel to a major SEA city.
Indeed Spore, Bangkok, and maybe KL are more touristy than both Jakarta and Manila.

Old 02-17-2019, 07:11 PM

480 posts, read 191,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
Jakarta has a beautiful skyline and highways. It's nice to look at. But you can see how Jakarta's city centers are set up differently from Manila. In Jakarta, they're strung out along the highways. It's nice to look at from the sky, but on the ground-level, it makes the city very car-centric, and not vibrant.

Here's what a vibrant (and clean) city center looks like

The guy walks really slow, but you can scroll the video and see there's outdoor cafes, restaurants, stores, green spaces, places to sit, street art, murals, skyscrapers, street markets, people walking around all over the place. Lots of different activity and hardly any cars getting in the way. That's what a vibrant city center looks like on the ground-level.
Yeah Thank You , in Jakarta we will not show just one area such as SCBD or Kuningan and of course all cities in the world have it, the Jakarta area is too vast, many areas in Jakarta are even cool than thought

Old 02-17-2019, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Yeah Thank You , in Jakarta we will not show just one area such as SCBD or Kuningan and of course all cities in the world have it, the Jakarta area is too vast, many areas in Jakarta are even cool than thought

So if there are lots of areas that look like that, then how come whenever you post Jakarta videos, it's highways, skyscrapers, or malls. You dont market your city very well. Show me the vibrant area of Jakarta that compares to BGC. I though it was SCBD, but apparently not.

And if you've been paying attention, Manila has multiple city centers, and I've posted pictures and videos of all of them, not just BGC. Meanwhile, you cant show me one vibrant city center in Jakarta. The city centers are inside malls, which is fine I guess. Different type of city

Old 02-17-2019, 07:39 PM

480 posts, read 191,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
So if there are lots of areas that look like that, then how come whenever you post Jakarta videos, it's highways, skyscrapers, or malls. You dont market your city very well. Show me the vibrant area of Jakarta that compares to BGC. I though it was SCBD, but apparently not.

And if you've been paying attention, Manila has multiple city centers, and I've posted pictures and videos of all of them, not just BGC. Meanwhile, you cant show me one vibrant city center in Jakarta. The city centers are inside malls, which is fine I guess. Different type of city
that's why you don't know about Jakarta , the skyscrapers in Jakarta spread throughout the area Jakarta not only in SCBD / Kunigan, while in Manila only in Makati / BGC

Old 02-17-2019, 08:13 PM

Quote:
that's why you don't know about Jakarta , the skyscrapers in Jakarta spread throughout the area Jakarta not only in SCBD / Kunigan, while in Manila only in Makati / BGC
No, BGC and Makati aren't the only areas with skyscrapers. According to Emporis, the number of skyscrapers (buildings taller than 100 m) is as follows:

Makati- 164
Quezon City (Eastwood & Cubao CBDs)- 84
Taguig (BGC)- 82
Manila (old downtown & Chinatown)- 71
Mandaluyong (part of Ortigas CBD)-62
Pasig (part of Ortigas CBD)- 53
San Juan- 10
Pasay- 6
Muntinlupa- 5
Parañaque- 3

So you can see that Quezon City has more skyscrapers than BGC, and Ortigas (Pasig+Mandluyong) also has many more skyscrapers than BGC. These are all different parts of Manila.

The big difference between Jakarta's CBDs and Manila's CBD is Jakarta's CBDs are strung out along the highways, whereas Manila's CBD are in dense, walkable clusters. They feel like separate downtown areas. Whereas in Jakarta, they feel like skyscrapers just lined up along the highway. That's why most of your Jakarta videos are in the car looking out at the skyscrapers. What an experience...

If you want to be fair, we can compare night time, when cities are usually more vibrant

SCBD Jakarta

If there's a more vibrant city center in Jakarta, please let me know. Because this isnt vibrant at all.

BGC on a typical night

Eastwood City- there's a mall there, but notice how he doesnt go inside, because all the life is outside the mall

Makati- Ayala Avenue

Another part of Makati. You can see that even during the day, there's still plenty of activity

Binondo (Chinatown)- It's not clean and spotless like the other CBDs, but notice all the street-level activity. It's more active during the day, they close up a lot of shops at night.

Old 02-17-2019, 11:34 PM

^ So you're posting festivals and concerts because the city isn't normally vibrant at all.

It's like if I posted this video of Ayala Triangle during Christmas Season. They have a light show and a market. The place is packed.

But that's disingenuous because on a normal day, none of that stuff is there. It's during Christmas Season, so they have a market and light display set up.

BGC has a night market several times a week

Legazpi Village has a Sunday Market

and Salcedo Village has a Saturday market

^All of this, and the videos you posted are just temporary events with tents in a park or parking lot. There's a big difference between that and an actual city that is built to be walkable and vibrant on a regular day or night.

Old 02-18-2019, 07:21 AM

621 posts, read 382,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
That's actually okay, Manila doesn't need so much tourist especially those that have so much bias and prejudice packed on their bags, it just need enough that are really real tourists and on for adventure of a lifetime, unpretentious as Manila is, its domestic economy is enough, it just need to improve basic things such as poverty and infrastructure. The same thing, throughout the country such as Palawan and Boracay, that as much as I want the money to come in, I actually want them to stay as pristine as they are void of undisciplined, rowdy and what-not tourists. Thank goodness!

idk why you keep lurking on something that isn't much within your sphere of concern. It's actually easy to ignore the thread and go on with something that interests you more. There's a thread dedicated for Bangkok only if that's what interests you more. You can probably leave us sharing our thoughts and opinions on the topic listed by the OP.

Last edited by neMarL; 02-18-2019 at 07:42 AM..

Old 02-18-2019, 08:01 AM

22,142 posts, read 23,662,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
That's actually okay, Manila doesn't need so much tourist especially those that have so much bias and prejudice packed on their bags, it just need enough that are really real tourists and on for adventure of a lifetime, unpretentious as Manila is, its domestic economy is enough, it just need to improve basic things such as poverty and infrastructure. The same thing, throughout the country such as Palawan and Boracay, that as much as I want the money to come in, I actually want them to stay as pristine as they are void of undisciplined, rowdy and what-not tourists. Thank goodness!

idk why you keep lurking on something that isn't much within your sphere of concern. It's actually easy to ignore the thread and go on with something that interests you more. There's a thread dedicated for Bangkok only if that's what interests you more. You can probably leave us sharing our thoughts and opinions on the topic listed by the OP.
Probably because I have friends in/from both cities and so I hear about them a bit and I visit. Especially Manila. It's also fun to watch the trainwreck the posts here can be especially the aggression some posters exhibit that touches on the fascinating topic of nationalism. I'm also quite excited to see that some better infrastructure is being built as I'm really interested in urban transit development everywhere! I think Jakarta's going to necessarily become a much more walkable city simply because rapid transit systems are a lot more conducive to walking and will likely be a great augmentation to Jakarta's extensive commuter rail system and both Jakarta and Manila are interesting as megacities that are trying to hit a higher level of development while tackling the extreme congestion the cities have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or