U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2019, 07:10 PM

226 posts, read 52,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
No, BGC and Makati aren't the only areas with skyscrapers. According to Emporis, the number of skyscrapers (buildings taller than 100 m) is as follows:

Makati- 164
Quezon City (Eastwood & Cubao CBDs)- 84
Taguig (BGC)- 82
Manila (old downtown & Chinatown)- 71
Mandaluyong (part of Ortigas CBD)-62
Pasig (part of Ortigas CBD)- 53
San Juan- 10
Pasay- 6
Muntinlupa- 5
Parañaque- 3

So you can see that Quezon City has more skyscrapers than BGC, and Ortigas (Pasig+Mandluyong) also has many more skyscrapers than BGC. These are all different parts of Manila.

The big difference between Jakarta's CBDs and Manila's CBD is Jakarta's CBDs are strung out along the highways, whereas Manila's CBD are in dense, walkable clusters. They feel like separate downtown areas. Whereas in Jakarta, they feel like skyscrapers just lined up along the highway. That's why most of your Jakarta videos are in the car looking out at the skyscrapers. What an experience...

If you want to be fair, we can compare night time, when cities are usually more vibrant
That's why you need to visit the city, not by surfing the internet or watching youtube only.
From my experience, one main difference is distribution of development.

Like I always say, Philippines is a country of contrast, a very centralized kind of development. The gap between NCR and other secondary cities is huge. And within NCR itself, the gap between CBDs and other areas is no better. And not all CBDs in Manila are actually "vibrant" like the image you try to create. It's only around the stores and malls.

While Jakarta is more balance. Most CBDs are dominated by office towers, thus you won't see crowds of people walking around the street, esp after work hours. After dark, Jakartans mostly spend times in malls, restos, hawker stalls, etc all over the city outside those CBDs. And it is relatively safe compared to Manila to spend the night alone outside, even for woman. And well accommodated by public transportation like BRT and commuter line till near midnight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2019, 10:21 PM

392 posts, read 103,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
That's why you need to visit the city, not by surfing the internet or watching youtube only.
From my experience, one main difference is distribution of development.

Like I always say, Philippines is a country of contrast, a very centralized kind of development. The gap between NCR and other secondary cities is huge. And within NCR itself, the gap between CBDs and other areas is no better. And not all CBDs in Manila are actually "vibrant" like the image you try to create. It's only around the stores and malls.

While Jakarta is more balance. Most CBDs are dominated by office towers, thus you won't see crowds of people walking around the street, esp after work hours. After dark, Jakartans mostly spend times in malls, restos, hawker stalls, etc all over the city outside those CBDs. And it is relatively safe compared to Manila to spend the night alone outside, even for woman. And well accommodated by public transportation like BRT and commuter line till near midnight.

Well that's the difference between the CBDs in Jakarta and the ones in Manila. In Jakarta, it's mostly just offices along highways. And then they go to the mall for actual leisure time. It's like the city centers are malls. In Manila, the main CBDs like Makati, BGC, Ortigas, Eastwood, Cubao, Bay City/Newport, and even Chinatown have offices, condos/apartments, shopping, dining, nightlife, etc. all in one place. That's why they're vibrant even after office hours. Yes, most of them have malls too, but life is not just confined to the malls in those areas. I didn't include Alabang CBD in that list because it's mostly just office towers surrounding a couple malls. Kinda like SCBD.

And there's plenty of safe, regular areas outside those CBDs. There are smaller CBDs all over the place, and Quezon City is the largest part of Metro Manila. It's mostly just regular suburban neighborhoods. Same with Marikina, Parañaque, Muntinlupa, Las Piñas. People get the idea that it's all squalor and poverty outside the CBDs. No, it's just not as organized and walkable. CBDs are like downtown areas, so they're going to be more organized and walkable than areas outside the CBDs. Most cities are like that.

The red and especially the blue parts on this map are where you're going to find the most poverty and crime. These are the old parts of the city. The red is old downtown Manila and Chinatown. It still has a lot going for it because it's a historic and important area. But the blue is mostly forgotten.

Yellow and Green are mostly CBDs and suburban neighborhoods. There is poverty in some areas, but no huge slums like in the older parts of the city.

What are the vibrant areas of Jakarta? I know Kota Tua is one of them. Can you post videos of other areas? When people showcase Jakarta, I mostly see malls, skyscrapers, and highways. Not very appealing.

Last edited by manolopo; 02-18-2019 at 11:34 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 12:51 AM

^ We talked about this earlier. Jakarta is so car-centric that you have to have a car-free day just to make the place walkable. Those videos just show that people in Jakarta would walk around if the city wasnt so built for cars

And besides, that's just 1 day of the week for a few hours in the morning. Where is the part of Jakarta that is vibrant all or most of the time? I know Kota Tua is one area, anywhere else? You just posted 4 videos of car-free day when you could have shown 4 different areas of Jakarta

Old 02-19-2019, 05:09 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,169,523 times
Quote:
^ We talked about this earlier. Jakarta is so car-centric that you have to have a car-free day just to make the place walkable. Those videos just show that people in Jakarta would walk around if the city wasnt so built for cars

And besides, that's just 1 day of the week for a few hours in the morning. Where is the part of Jakarta that is vibrant all or most of the time? I know Kota Tua is one area, anywhere else? You just posted 4 videos of car-free day when you could have shown 4 different areas of Jakarta
Yep, that's my assessment of Jakarta - well, not just mine. But that's common knowledge about Jakarta, by people interested in such things.

It's a bit unfortunate, being it's such a large city with 20 million people or so.

Old 02-19-2019, 05:47 PM

480 posts, read 191,523 times
Quote:
Well that's the difference between the CBDs in Jakarta and the ones in Manila. In Jakarta, it's mostly just offices along highways. And then they go to the mall for actual leisure time. It's like the city centers are malls. In Manila, the main CBDs like Makati, BGC, Ortigas, Eastwood, Cubao, Bay City/Newport, and even Chinatown have offices, condos/apartments, shopping, dining, nightlife, etc. all in one place. That's why they're vibrant even after office hours. Yes, most of them have malls too, but life is not just confined to the malls in those areas. I didn't include Alabang CBD in that list because it's mostly just office towers surrounding a couple malls. Kinda like SCBD.

And there's plenty of safe, regular areas outside those CBDs. There are smaller CBDs all over the place, and Quezon City is the largest part of Metro Manila. It's mostly just regular suburban neighborhoods. Same with Marikina, Parañaque, Muntinlupa, Las Piñas. People get the idea that it's all squalor and poverty outside the CBDs. No, it's just not as organized and walkable. CBDs are like downtown areas, so they're going to be more organized and walkable than areas outside the CBDs. Most cities are like that.

The red and especially the blue parts on this map are where you're going to find the most poverty and crime. These are the old parts of the city. The red is old downtown Manila and Chinatown. It still has a lot going for it because it's a historic and important area. But the blue is mostly forgotten.

Yellow and Green are mostly CBDs and suburban neighborhoods. There is poverty in some areas, but no huge slums like in the older parts of the city.

What are the vibrant areas of Jakarta? I know Kota Tua is one of them. Can you post videos of other areas? When people showcase Jakarta, I mostly see malls, skyscrapers, and highways. Not very appealing.
written by @landove is correct. btw maybe you should come to Jakarta rather than explain because of ignorance. Jakarta's region is very vast not just one region and has never relied on SCBD, many of Jakarta's areas very cool . now Jakarta is actively build especially on mass transportation

Old 02-19-2019, 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
written by @landove is correct. btw maybe you should come to Jakarta rather than explain because of ignorance. Jakarta's region is very vast not just one region and has never relied on SCBD, many of Jakarta's areas very cool . now Jakarta is actively build especially on mass transportation
CBD is really just another word for "downtown." But because Manila has many "downtowns" we just call them "CBDs" to avoid confusion. The CBDs are supposed to be the most vibrant, happening parts of the city. That doesnt mean the rest of the city is dead, or the rest of the city gets no attention. If the CBDs in Jakarta aren't vibrant, then please show me the vibrant areas. Because so far I'm just seeing malls, skyscrapers, and highways. Jakarta does all of those things well very well, but where are the areas where people are out enjoying the city? I know of old Jakarta (Kota Tua) but nobody has shown me other areas.

Also, Jakarta is only slightly larger in land area than Metro Manila. So it's not "very vast" compared to Metro Manila. It's essentially the same size.

Old 02-19-2019, 06:15 PM

480 posts, read 191,523 times
Quote:
CBD is really just another word for "downtown." But because Manila has many "downtowns" we just call them "CBDs" to avoid confusion. The CBDs are supposed to be the most vibrant, happening parts of the city. That doesnt mean the rest of the city is dead, or the rest of the city gets no attention. If the CBDs in Jakarta aren't vibrant, then please show me the vibrant areas. Because so far I'm just seeing malls, skyscrapers, and highways. Jakarta does all of those things well very well, but where are the areas where people are out enjoying the city? I know of old Jakarta (Kota Tua) but nobody has shown me other areas.

Also, Jakarta is only slightly larger in land area than Metro Manila. So it's not "very vast" compared to Metro Manila. It's essentially the same size.
you read @landove comments above ..that's the most appropriate answer !

Old 02-19-2019, 10:02 PM

226 posts, read 52,585 times
Quote:

That's why I suggest you to come to Jakarta.

Anyway, there's no rule or anything says about CBD is the most "vibrant" part of the city. When you visit other parts of the world you will know. Easiest example is London, its main CBD, Canary Wharf is no way near Oxford street for example in term of vibrancy. Of course it control big chunk of money of the city but it's not necessarily a place where most people gather to spend time and money buying foods and stuff, directly, face to face. That's the understanding of CBD in the middle ages

After sun comes down, some places in Jakarta start to light up. I don't talk about malls, skybars, indoor restaurants though. Places like Monas, Banteng Square offer free lightshows and dancing fountains. Kota Tua, Ancol, Pantai Maju and the likes are quite popular for hangout. Sabang street, Pecenongan, and the likes are full of affordable hawker style foods.

Old 02-19-2019, 10:19 PM

95 posts, read 20,937 times
Jakarta always step to the next level

Indonesia Local TV Award Stage
Net 3.0

Net 4.0

Net 5.0

Indonesia Asian Games Stage

Indonesia Cup

Dont compare to low class and low budget LOL

Last edited by Mr.Pagpag; 02-19-2019 at 11:22 PM..

Old 02-19-2019, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
That's why I suggest you to come to Jakarta.

Anyway, there's no rule or anything says about CBD is the most "vibrant" part of the city. When you visit other parts of the world you will know. Easiest example is London, its main CBD, Canary Wharf is no way near Oxford street for example in term of vibrancy. Of course it control big chunk of money of the city but it's not necessarily a place where most people gather to spend time and money buying foods and stuff, directly, face to face. That's the understanding of CBD in the middle ages

After sun comes down, some places in Jakarta start to light up. I don't talk about malls, skybars, indoor restaurants though. Places like Monas, Banteng Square offer free lightshows and dancing fountains. Kota Tua, Ancol, Pantai Maju and the likes are quite popular for hangout. Sabang street, Pecenongan, and the likes are full of affordable hawker style foods.

Well London and Europe are different because with older cities, the whole city is built to be walkable, not just the CBD. That's why people love European cities.

With Asian and American cities, since they're newer, are not completely walkable all over and have CBDs. Tokyo is an exception because its walkable everywhere. But even there, there are certain CBD areas that are more vibrant, like Shibuya and Shinjuku. You can look at these places and see that they're vibrant because people are walking around everywhere and there's so much on the street level. People dont flock to those areas for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or