U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-25-2019, 04:11 AM

95 posts, read 21,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
I already posted walkability scores earlier. This data doesnt include all the cities in Southeast Asia. It has many cities in India. But it has Jakarta and Manila
https://www.ictct.net/migrated_2014/...n%20Cities.pdf

On page 11 and 12 it shows that Metro Manila has a walkability score of 67, while Jakarta has a score of 48. The other major Southeast Asian cities on there are Hanoi (58), Ho Chi Minh (59). I'm sure if Bangkok, Singapore, and KL were on there, they would score higher than Manila.
So where is CBD rank?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 05:58 AM

621 posts, read 384,191 times
Quote:
I already posted walkability scores earlier. This data doesnt include all the cities in Southeast Asia. It has many cities in India. But it has Jakarta and Manila
https://www.ictct.net/migrated_2014/...n%20Cities.pdf

On page 11 and 12 it shows that Metro Manila has a walkability score of 67, while Jakarta has a score of 48. The other major Southeast Asian cities on there are Hanoi (58), Ho Chi Minh (59). I'm sure if Bangkok, Singapore, and KL were on there, they would score higher than Manila.
Not sure they would score higher except for Singapore as Hongkong is at 71 and Manila is proximate just 4 points below. Could be in between or lower. And since this is survey way back it may have changed drastically individually already although I doubt the rankingy have changed though. But that only means that Metro Manila is actually better and walkable metropolis than what other posters are trying to portray here.

Old 02-25-2019, 06:55 AM

400 posts, read 105,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
Not sure they would score higher except for Singapore as Hongkong is at 71 and Manila is proximate just 4 points below. Could be in between or lower. And since this is survey way back it may have changed drastically individually already although I doubt the rankingy have changed though. But that only means that Metro Manila is actually better and walkable metropolis than what other posters are trying to portray here.
Iím going to guess that Singapore has equal or higher walkability than HK. And KL and Bangkok are probably higher than Manila but lower than HK.

Old 02-25-2019, 10:17 AM

621 posts, read 384,191 times
Quote:
I’m going to guess that Singapore has equal or higher walkability than HK. And KL and Bangkok are probably higher than Manila but lower than HK.
Most probably yes but probably also not using their methodology. Honestly I saw it and trust more their methodology done by experts than just random peoples opinion. More objective than subjective, it takes away all those biases. But well, expect they will swarm me again with those know-how know-it been there comments. Haha

Old 02-25-2019, 04:50 PM

Adding to this post. I found a new video walking around BGC (away from Bonifacio High Street) during the day. So this is what most of BGC looks like away from the commercial strip, on a typical day

And this is walking around Binondo (oldest Chinatown in the world). It has a completely different vibe from BGC. It's the complete opposite. But I love both areas

Walking along Manila Bay. This has always been a popular area, but now it's even more popular after a recent clean up campaign

Different parts of Manila have different experiences, and there's plenty of places to walk around and explore on foot.

Quote:
Bonifacio High Street is the central strip of BGC. It feels like an open-air mall because it's a green area in the middle with restaurants and stores on both sides. Right now it's the most active part of BGC because it's one of the older, established parts. The rest of BGC is still new and filling in every day with new developments. Most of BGC has been around less than 10 years.

Here's a video walking around BGC outside of the main strip

You can see that even on a Sunday night, away from the main strip, there are plenty of people walking around. This area is most active right after work on the weekdays and on Friday and Saturday nights.

Another part of BGC where a lot of people like to hang out

Ortigas in a major CBD that not many people talk about. It's not as vibrant as Makati or BGC because there are 3 huge malls, so a lot of the life is inside the malls. But you can see that there's still a good amount of street-level activity

The first 2 minutes is walking on an elevated walkway, the rest of the video is street-level. This was taken on a weekend, so most of the people walking around probably live there. There's a lot of construction; this area is still developing even though it's an older CBD.

Eastwood City

This is away from the more commercial part of Eastwood. The area in the video is mostly condos with small restaurants and shops at the ground level.

Walking all around old Manila. This video is 2 hours long

The first half of the video is in the old downtown areas, and the second half is mostly in the residential neighborhoods.

The same guy made a video walking around Jakarta

Even just comparing the old parts of both cities, Manila looks a lot more walkable from the video.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pagpag View Post
Its funny when u expect me to reply Oycrumbler
Whats wrong if i want to show other thing,.. not just pointless with your repeating nonsense story
What kind big chunk budget u can prove? just bragging cbd and walkable story?

so your best experience just only walkable? Menawhile Jakarta has more experience road, walk, air, rail, etc?
You post was actually replying to him. But when you replied, your vidieos didnt show any of the neighborhoods. We want to see what Jakarta looks like on the street-level walking around. If someone wanted to visit the city and explore it on foot, what would that look like.

Last edited by manolopo; 02-25-2019 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-25-2019, 06:16 PM

226 posts, read 53,419 times
Quote:
^ Um, that's just the areas along the highway. Jakarta looks much worse here. This is an hour and a half walking around.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwxkiHE6YsU

Same guy did a video walking around Manila

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w007cst8Imw

That's the old part of Manila, and I'm assuming it's the old part of Jakarta too. So let's not act like Jakarta doesnt have contrasts. That part of Jakarta looks very different from the developed areas, just like that part of Manila looks different from the CBDs
Cherrypicking at its best.
The video of Jakarta is mostly around dense not so good settlement area with narrow road without traffic marking as you can see. Does most area in Jakarta look like that - NO!

While vid about Manila is the best road and surrounding you can possibly get outside CBD.

Here is more proper comparison.

Can't you be more honest? Or it's because you don't know the real condition of both cities?

Old 02-25-2019, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
Cherrypicking at its best.
The video of Jakarta is mostly around dense not so good settlement area with narrow road without traffic marking as you can see. Does most area in Jakarta look like that - NO!

While vid about Manila is the best road and surrounding you can possibly get outside CBD.

Here is more proper comparison.

Can't you be more honest? Or it's because you don't know the real condition of both cities?
Um no, the best areas outside of CBDs are Quezon City and Marikina in the North, and Muntinlupa & Las Pinas in the South.

The video is all in Manila city, which is the oldest part of Metro Manila, and most of it is crumbling. It's very comparable to the Jakarta walking video because it's showing the old ugly part of the city.

The Jakarta video and Manila are set up differently. In the Manila video, it shows the commercial area in the first half, then the neighborhoods. In the Jakarta video, it shows the neighborhoods first, then the commercial area. It's a fair comparison between the older, not pretty parts of the city.

You were trying to make it seem like most of Jakarta outside the CBDs is like the video you posted. But I just posted an hour an a half video of Jakarta that looks nothing like that. Jakarta is similar to Manila. Outside of the CBDs, it's disorganized and messy too. You're trying to make Manila seem like it's a city of polar opposites, even though Jakarta is the same way. You have some parts of the city with big shiny malls and skyscrapers, and other huge parts of the city that are sinking and dont have running water. It's really not that different from Manila

Last edited by manolopo; 02-25-2019 at 06:54 PM..

Old 02-25-2019, 07:08 PM

226 posts, read 53,419 times
Quote:
You post was actually replying to him. But when you replied, your vidieos didnt show any of the neighborhoods. We want to see what Jakarta looks like on the street-level walking around. If someone wanted to visit the city and explore it on foot, what would that look like.
You have to understand the context first, dear. Our CBDs are not proper place to hangout since we don't put stores, restaurants, malls, or other crowd-attraction inside the area unlike CBDs in MetroManila. Thus you call them less vibrant.

Jakarta's "vibrant" attractions are spread out all over the city. And people go there mostly by cars or other public transportation.

If you ask about vibrant walkable area inside CBD a la Time Square or BGC in some extent, Jakarta currently doesn't have one. But it doesn't make Jakarta any less interesting. It's well reflected by many more foreign tourists visiting the city compared to Manila. And in no way those tourists come here to visit our CBDs.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:19 PM

22,173 posts, read 23,698,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pagpag View Post
which part telling "Not allowed to come back after being banned"

All Sport Venue + Sport Complex + Athlete Village in Jakarta

Thanks for the videos! I like watching them though these aren't really neighborhood walking videos.

"Only one screen name is permitted per user." has usually been including banned user names. If you had a screen name as a user, and that's one per user, then your banned one was the one screen name per user so you are liable to be banned as soon as anyone reports you for having another screen name if you created another (in this case, you already admitted your last one was banned). No one's reported you so far perhaps, but if they want to, they can!

Also, I did ask for neighborhood walking videos, because that's what I'm interested in. I actually like Jakarta more than Manila overall, but what I disliked about Jakarta was in regards to not having very walkable streets that were interesting. I think the coming launch of mass transit will likely change that in short order, but who knows what other factors are in play.

Old 02-25-2019, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
You have to understand the context first, dear. Our CBDs are not proper place to hangout since we don't put stores, restaurants, malls, or other crowd-attraction inside the area unlike CBDs in MetroManila. Thus you call them less vibrant.

Jakarta's "vibrant" attractions are spread out all over the city. And people go there mostly by cars or other public transportation.

If you ask about vibrant walkable area inside CBD a la Time Square or BGC in some extent, Jakarta currently doesn't have one. But it doesn't make Jakarta any less interesting. It's well reflected by many more foreign tourists visiting the city compared to Manila. And in no way those tourists come here to visit our CBDs.
Yeah, different kind of city. Jakarta is going more for the Dubai route (big highways, tall skyscrapers, big malls) and that's fine. Manila has a mix. The different areas have their own identity and feel. Even BGC and Makati feel completely different from each other, even though they're both major business districts.

I'm sure Jakarta's neighborhoods have their own unique identities but nobody is really showcasing that. I'm seeing more indoor stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or