U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2019, 11:21 PM

621 posts, read 381,659 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pagpag View Post
Which part u dont understand?
Manolopo try to compare quality GDP tourism Philippines vs ASEAN
Meanwhile PH can't surpass Indo tourism total GDP/capita (remember when he brag undertourism in Indonesia?)
So what manolopo want to prove here with his quality vs quantity logic (nonsense story again)?

What story he want to play next? percapita? cherry picking some aspect? quantity vs quality?

Here let me slap you again
Which rank you all can prove here? Many times just bragging walkable story rank?

With those big chunk budget u cant build HSR / Airport train/ BRT ???
Meanwhile Jakarta LRT / MRT / LRT Jabodebek onprogress but in the end of story we already surpass u in overall road, rail, port, airport, public transport, etc and yet u just bragging walkable rank?

you see how complex is that?

Yeah Manila transportation is advanced thats why order PNR train from indo?!?
And this one isn't complex?

Metro Manila Dream Plan

The Northrail is being planned as an HSR project.

https://ppp.gov.ph/in_the_news/high-...nning-by-2022/

And yes there is 2 upcoming BRT projects in the metro. Add to that monorail line and expansion of the river ferry.

Business Planning for BRT in Metro Manila – BRT Planning International, LLC

Project_Details - BUILD

Projects : Metro Manila BRT Line 1 Project*|*The World Bank

How did you surpass Manila in overall public transport? Only you keeps claiming that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 05:38 AM

95 posts, read 20,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
And this one isn't complex?

Metro Manila Dream Plan

The Northrail is being planned as an HSR project.

https://ppp.gov.ph/in_the_news/high-...nning-by-2022/

And yes there is 2 upcoming BRT projects in the metro. Add to that monorail line and expansion of the river ferry.

Business Planning for BRT in Metro Manila – BRT Planning International, LLC

Project_Details - BUILD

Projects : Metro Manila BRT Line 1 Project*|*The World Bank

How did you surpass Manila in overall public transport? Only you keeps claiming that.
More complex Jakarta, look at left of the map and compare to the map

Since u just have dream and planing we already have BRT system largest in the world + onprogress HSR first in region
You brag build3x big chunk budget in Manila but still no finish project to show???

Compare public transport in Jakarta vs Manila not talking yet to our BRT+airport train and onprogress LRT+MRT+Jabodebek LRT+HSR
Manila LRT + MRT VS Jakarta Commuter rail is apple to apple,..

so how you compete jakarta BRT + Jakarta airport train if u just dreaming and planning?

Old 02-28-2019, 11:14 AM

384 posts, read 100,953 times
Quote:
i reply this https://www.internations.org/expat-i...r-expats-39685
for this

yeah maybe Manila is not attracting in global survey

Well i just want to show how ironic manila not in the survey meanwhile other ASEAN city on the list
I posted the Mercer quality of life index, which measures quality of life in cities, and especially focuses on quality of life for expats. This is a well-known, well-regarded index. It uses 39 different factors to measure quality of life and includes 231 cities (including both Jakarta and Manila)
https://www.mercer.com/newsroom/2018-quality-of-living-survey.html
In 2018, Manila is ranked 137 while Jakarta is ranked 142

You respond by posting a lesser-known survey that doesnt even include Manila in the results. It's an actual survey that's sent out to expats who live in various cities, so it's not even objective. For example, expats in Hong Kong, London, or Paris seem to be a lot more critical of their city, that's why they rank lower than Jakarta. But obviously Jakarta does not have a better quality of life than Hong Kong, London, or Paris. But anyways, Manila isn't even included, and it only includes 72 cities anyways. So why even bring it up? Far more expats are choosing to live in the Philippines than Indonesia. 100,000 more in the Philippines than in Indonesia. If you dont care about expats, that's fine, but dont bring it up if you dont care.

And besides expats' quality of life, Manila has a better quality of life for regular citizens as well. From the Economist Intelligence Unitís global liveability index. This index measures 30 factors for quality of life.

Manila is ranked 103, while Jakarta is ranked 119.
http://www.travelweekly-asia.com/Destination-Travel/The-world-s-most-liveable-city-The-results-are-in

The quality of life index you posted is just preliminary https://lkyspp.nus.edu.sg/docs/defau...rsn=5f5c720a_2

It clearly says it on the website: "We believe a potentially useful and highly visible project such as ACIís GLSCI is a preliminary yet comprehensive attempt..."

But even on that index, you'll see that Manila outscored Jakarta in several categories:
1. "Economic Vibrancy and Competitiveness"
2. "Environmental Friendliness and Sustainability"
3. "Socio-Cultural Conditions"

The only categories where Jakarta beat Manila were "Political Governance" and "Domestic Security and Stability" And I understand why that's the case. That index isn't reputable or even complete yet.

Even the Sustainable Cities Index you posted has a category for quality of life. From their website. "People- "Reflects social mobility and quality of opportunity and life"

And you see how Manila outscores Jakarta on "people"

So there is no established, reputable quality of life index that ranks Jakarta higher than Manila (for now). Quality of life means the overall well-being of the people in the city. That should matter more than who has the nicest airports, malls, skyscrapers, entertainment, etc etc.

Roads and public transportation are very important too, and Jakarta is doing better in that aspect. But overall quality of life is not better.

Old 02-28-2019, 03:58 PM

621 posts, read 381,659 times
Quote:
More complex Jakarta, look at left of the map and compare to the map

Since u just have dream and planing we already have BRT system largest in the world + onprogress HSR first in region
You brag build3x big chunk budget in Manila but still no finish project to show???

Compare public transport in Jakarta vs Manila not talking yet to our BRT+airport train and onprogress LRT+MRT+Jabodebek LRT+HSR
Manila LRT + MRT VS Jakarta Commuter rail is apple to apple,..

so how you compete jakarta BRT + Jakarta airport train if u just dreaming and planning?
I see that the Manila map is more complex to think that it is only mostly Metro Manila while your map is Jabodetabek with wider area and that they are just rail lines while your Jakarta map has many BRT lanes on it which is not rail at all. Its not dream they are either underconstruction or has broke ground. Lets see!

Old 02-28-2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
I posted the Mercer quality of life index, which measures quality of life in cities, and especially focuses on quality of life for expats. This is a well-known, well-regarded index. It uses 39 different factors to measure quality of life and includes 231 cities (including both Jakarta and Manila)
https://www.mercer.com/newsroom/2018-quality-of-living-survey.html
In 2018, Manila is ranked 137 while Jakarta is ranked 142

You respond by posting a lesser-known survey that doesnt even include Manila in the results. It's an actual survey that's sent out to expats who live in various cities, so it's not even objective. For example, expats in Hong Kong, London, or Paris seem to be a lot more critical of their city, that's why they rank lower than Jakarta. But obviously Jakarta does not have a better quality of life than Hong Kong, London, or Paris. But anyways, Manila isn't even included, and it only includes 72 cities anyways. So why even bring it up? Far more expats are choosing to live in the Philippines than Indonesia. 100,000 more in the Philippines than in Indonesia. If you dont care about expats, that's fine, but dont bring it up if you dont care.

And besides expats' quality of life, Manila has a better quality of life for regular citizens as well. From the Economist Intelligence Unit’s global liveability index. This index measures 30 factors for quality of life.

Manila is ranked 103, while Jakarta is ranked 119.
http://www.travelweekly-asia.com/Destination-Travel/The-world-s-most-liveable-city-The-results-are-in

The quality of life index you posted is just preliminary https://lkyspp.nus.edu.sg/docs/defau...rsn=5f5c720a_2

It clearly says it on the website: "We believe a potentially useful and highly visible project such as ACI’s GLSCI is a preliminary yet comprehensive attempt..."

But even on that index, you'll see that Manila outscored Jakarta in several categories:
1. "Economic Vibrancy and Competitiveness"
2. "Environmental Friendliness and Sustainability"
3. "Socio-Cultural Conditions"

The only categories where Jakarta beat Manila were "Political Governance" and "Domestic Security and Stability" And I understand why that's the case. That index isn't reputable or even complete yet.

Even the Sustainable Cities Index you posted has a category for quality of life. From their website. "People- "Reflects social mobility and quality of opportunity and life"

And you see how Manila outscores Jakarta on "people"

So there is no established, reputable quality of life index that ranks Jakarta higher than Manila (for now). Quality of life means the overall well-being of the people in the city. That should matter more than who has the nicest airports, malls, skyscrapers, entertainment, etc etc.

Roads and public transportation are very important too, and Jakarta is doing better in that aspect. But overall quality of life is not better.
Yeah with those quality of life,..
Jakarta attract more visitor than Manila
Put strict rule limit visa for expat and give citizen more opportunity to work in their city
No wonder Jakartan more richer than Manila

Meanwhile Manila
Give more permit and opportunity to more expat, and let their citizen to work abroad
No wonder Manila poor than Jakarta

At the end of story, Jakarta economy has more impact to global stage than Manila

Even no Manila here
http://mori-m-foundation.or.jp/engli...i2/index.shtml

So the conclusion is walkable story + quality of life story doesnt mean anything
ur city can't attract more visitor and big number expat cant boost your economy that impact to global stage!

Last edited by Mr.Pagpag; 02-28-2019 at 11:36 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 10:31 PM

Quote:
I see that the Manila map is more complex to think that it is only mostly Metro Manila while your map is Jabodetabek with wider area and that they are just rail lines while your Jakarta map has many BRT lanes on it which is not rail at all. Its not dream they are either underconstruction or has broke ground. Lets see!
Wow if that is the case,..
Congrats Manila Rail Transport beat many city in region even Singapore

Congratz for Manila Rail Transport
Pinoy Pride!!!

even in country scale u cant surpass Vietnam, LOL

HSR status in region, so where is Pinoy? oh i see just in dream and planning

Last edited by Mr.Pagpag; 02-28-2019 at 11:41 PM..

Old 02-28-2019, 11:30 PM

49 posts, read 8,994 times
Quote:
Oh really? Just spend 1 day, and feeling know everything about jakarta, lmao
Every city in Indonesia has their identity
Jakarta has unique local traditional dishes + drink, Jakarta has their culture identity, i already post previously
Street vendor not just copycat no identity / selling burger / hotdog ,.. tasteless salt + vinegar

No unique structure identity? try harder bro? easy to identify this located in jakarta

iconic structure

then u brag about unesco site??? so tell me how singapore, bangkok, kuala lumpur, hanoi, jakarta atract visitor?

I think that we will just have to agree to disagree.,.. in overall aspect Jakarta ahead Manila (not just cherrypicking small2 aspect / percapita nonsense).
Lol. I'm sure no one has ever seen phallic monuments before!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallic_architecture

I guess I wasn't clear that when I used the word iconic I didn't mean structures iconic only to Indonesians. Iconic would be the following:

Sydney opera house
Eiffel tower
Statue of liberty
Taj mahal
Colosseum
Great sphinx and the pyramids of Egypt
Great Wall

But somehow you think Monas belongs on that list? There's bias and then there's..not really sure what to call this one. Extreme nationalism?

By the way, thanks for reminding me about Singapore. I forgot they have a UNESCO site too.

Old 03-01-2019, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
Lol. I'm sure no one has ever seen phallic monuments before!
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phallic_architecture

I guess I wasn't clear that when I used the word iconic I didn't mean structures iconic only to Indonesians. Iconic would be the following:

Sydney opera house
Eiffel tower
Statue of liberty
Taj mahal
Colosseum
Great sphinx and the pyramids of Egypt
Great Wall

But somehow you think Monas belongs on that list? There's bias and then there's..not really sure what to call this one. Extreme nationalism?

By the way, thanks for reminding me about Singapore. I forgot they have a UNESCO site too.
If u want looking for iconic structure and unesco site as u describe then go ahead to that city no one stop u here.
But dont attempts to downplay just for iconic structure / unesco site that Jakarta cant offer other thing here

The fact Manila has unesco site but cant attract more visitor than in Jakarta

Quote:
^ you see how ironic manila is not on the list,.. maybe your city not attracting
since u too much whining better go work for those reporter so u can get more knowledge

Really Jakarta more attracting than Manila, international visitors, 2016
32 Denpasar / Bali ---------------------------------- 6,238,300
58 Jakarta ------------------------------------------- 3,587,500
74 Manila ------------------------------ -- just only 1,320,000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ional_visitors

so what kind other story u want to brag here?

Old 03-01-2019, 12:42 AM

222 posts, read 50,781 times
Quote:
For you, the more complicated the map looks, the better, right?

You misread the map, dear. Look again in real size pic. Jakarta's map is simplified so much so that you can read it easily. And fair enough, Jakarta only includes the completed and nearly completed ones.

While that Manila's map? Only God knows when MRT 9 will be completed. I red it's planned since 2014, yet in 2019 it's still nothing. Only heard about MRT 7 construction.

Simple logic, how long is the total system length of Jakarta's BRT, Commuter, Raillink, LRT, and MRT compared to Manila's current PNR, MRT, and LRT plus those only-God-knows-when-it-will-be-finished MRT and LRT projects?

Old 03-01-2019, 05:10 AM

384 posts, read 100,953 times
Quote:
Yeah with those quality of life,..
Jakarta attract more visitor than Manila
Put strict rule limit visa for expat and give citizen more opportunity to work in their city
No wonder Jakartan more richer than Manila

Meanwhile Manila
Give more permit and opportunity to more expat, and let their citizen to work abroad
No wonder Manila poor than Jakarta

At the end of story, Jakarta economy has more impact to global stage than Manila

Even no Manila here
Global Power City Index (GPCI) - Institute for Urban Strategies

So the conclusion is walkable story + quality of life story doesnt mean anything
ur city can't attract more visitor and big number expat cant boost your economy that impact to global stage!

Jakarta's economy may have "more impact on a GLOBAL stage" But what about the impact on the people living in Jakarta? Why isn't the quality of life better than the quality of life in Manila? So you care more about how it impacts the globe, while quality of life for people in Jakarta doesnt matter?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or