U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2019, 11:45 AM

392 posts, read 103,724 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pagpag View Post
ok take it,..
we can offer more than walkable + qualty of life story

SAD PINOY

Quality of life is literally everything. It's LIFE. I'll take life.

I'll take the city that's easier to walk around, with more green spaces, with cleaner air, with better LIFE. Thanks.

Your city has better transport, highways, and malls, but people are stuck in their cars all day or inside malls because the air so polluted
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Yeah exactly what he can do just playing in percapita, quantity vs quality, and compare small aspect

But he cant prove it in overall aspect and real situation
Pathetic

I think his comment went completely over your head. He was making that comment toward you. I dont use the term "cherrypicking." You do.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:59 PM

95 posts, read 20,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post

I'll take the city that's easier to walk around, with more green spaces, with cleaner air, with better LIFE. Thanks.

Your city has better transport, highways, and malls, but people are stuck in their cars all day or inside malls because the air so polluted
Exactly,.. take it also your worst quality water

Quote:
I think his comment went completely over your head. He was making that comment toward you. I dont use the term "cherrypicking." You do.
Oh maybe u dont know sarcas

Old 03-11-2019, 07:13 PM

226 posts, read 52,585 times
Quote:

Both cities' quality of life aren't that different though. We are talking about cities in 137th and 142nd position by Mercer's quality of life ranking in 2018 anyway. Not as different as you may think. And, compared to 2017 ranking, Manila was in 135th vs Jakarta's 143rd position, if I were you, I'll start to worry.

Jakarta indeed has worse quality of air not only because we have more cars but also because of our manufacture. We have large factories producing this and that in Jakarta's neighboring cities. While Manila relies on service sector. In exchange, Philippines imports lots of stuff from Indonesia. From vehicle, machinery, electronic equipment, etc. that makes deficit of around USD 6 Billion on your side.

Old 03-11-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
Both cities' quality of life aren't that different though. We are talking about cities in 137th and 142nd position by Mercer's quality of life ranking in 2018 anyway. Not as different as you may think. And, compared to 2017 ranking, Manila was in 135th vs Jakarta's 143rd position, if I were you, I'll start to worry.

Jakarta indeed has worse quality of air not only because we have more cars but also because of our manufacture. We have large factories producing this and that in Jakarta's neighboring cities. While Manila relies on service sector. In exchange, Philippines imports lots of stuff from Indonesia. From vehicle, machinery, electronic equipment, etc. that makes deficit of around USD 6 Billion on your side.
I agree that the quality of life in Manila is slipping. I'd mostly blame it on Duterte's drug war. I can see Jakarta catching up to Manila soon. But saying Manila's and Jakarta's scores aren't that different is like saying Bangkok and Manila's scores aren't that different.

Bangkok (132), Manila (137), and Jakarta (142).

Manila is as close to Bangkok's rank as it is to Jakarta's rank. I wouldnt say Manila's and Bangkok quality of life are basically the same, because they're not.

And Mercer isn't the only quality of life index. It's useful but it places more weight on factors important to Western expats. Economist Intelligence Unit's Global Liveability Index focuses on quality of living as a whole. In the latest ranking, Bangkok is 98, Manila is 103, and Jakarta is 119.

EIU Global Liveability Index

Yeah, Jakarta building more and bigger highways is creating induced demand, so people are buying more cars, making the air quality worse. And I agree with you, manufacturing is almost non-existent in the Philippines, unlike most other East Asian/Southeast Asian countries. I hope this will change. BUT, if it means better air quality, then it's not such a bad thing.

Another factor might be that Jakarta doesnt have as many green spaces. There's no green area in Jakarta as large as La Mesa Ecopark/Reserve. It's 2,700 hectares and almost completely rainforest. For size comparison, Central Park in NYC is 340 hectares. I know they're two completely different kinds of parks, but I mention it to help you imagine the size.

This is one of Manila's "lungs" and maybe that contributes to better air quality.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:03 PM

56 posts, read 8,598 times
Asian Green Cities Index

http://sg.siemens.com/city_of_the_fu...City-Index.pdf

Jakarta = Average
Manila = Below Average

Quote:
Yeah, Jakarta building more and bigger highways is creating induced demand, so people are buying more cars, making the air quality worse. .
Yeah Manila became poor thats why more people eat pagpag

Last edited by Pagpag_Masarap; 03-11-2019 at 11:11 PM..

Old 03-11-2019, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagpag_Masarap View Post
Asian Green Cities Index

Jakarta = Average
Manila = Below Average

I wish they would update the Asian Green Cities Index because it's almost a decade old and hasn't been published since then. But I agree that for 2011, Jakarta scores higher on environment than Manila.

The EIU (same company that did the Green Cities Index) also does a liveability index, but this one is updated every year. Their latest index (from 2018) has Manila ranked at 103, and Jakarta at 119.
EIU Global Liveability Index

Old 03-12-2019, 01:37 AM

226 posts, read 52,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pagpag_Masarap View Post
Asian Green Cities Index

Jakarta = Average
Manila = Below Average

Don't be childish lah. You show exactly how immature most Indonesians are.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:38 AM

1,586 posts, read 1,951,049 times
Quote:
Exactly,.. take it also your worst quality water

Oh maybe u dont know sarcas
No it definitely went over your head.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:57 AM

56 posts, read 8,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
No it definitely went over your head.
and my comment is sarcas, if u still dont understand
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or