Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-20-2019, 09:30 PM

400 posts, read 236,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
While it maybe is true that there are more cars in Jakarta metro than Metro Manila, (although you haven't shown a link or page where that is exactly the case, so that remains to be a claim not founded),
18 million vehicles.
https://finance.detik.com/berita-eko...ta-setiap-hari

Quote:
the MRT/LRT system in Manila has a total of 1.5+ million ridership everyday compared to Jakartas commuter rail KRL which only does 1.2+ million to think that it does a wider coverage of ridership encompassing Jabodetabek or whatever you call it. Add up Manilas commuter line PNR which does at least 200k or more daily ridership, that makes it already a total of about 1.7 million taking the rail line in Metro Manila compared to the 1.2 in Jakarta. That 0.5 million does make a difference. Add to that the millions of buses, jeepneys and tricycles all over the metro that really makes a difference of why Manila has better traffic management than Jakarta even though you also have those plus BRTs which only levels it out on those other specific transportation option other than rail.

How did you come up with the idea that Jakarta has better public transportation? On a grassroots level alone, the jeepney concept is better than your ojek, becak, bajaj, angkot. They maybe are outdated but they are reliable, cheap and consistent.

13 million vs 9.6 million population with a bigger land area and less density. How come Jakarta has still more traffic than Manila? Obviously the answer is you dont have better public transportation system.
You guys really love to talk big, don't you?! PNR only has 70k max daily ridership.

https://www.bworldonline.com/pnr-buy...rom-indonesia/

From Wiki, LRT1 has 500 k, LRT2 has 200 K, MRT3 has 560 k daily ridership. But you said Manila MRT/LRT has total 1.5+ million daily ridership? show me the source please. I hate dishonesty.

Anyway .....

Currently TransJakarta BRT has 0.66 million daily ridership.

https://properti.kompas.com/read/201...makin-diminati

KRL has 1.2 million daily ridership.

https://www.liputan6.com/bisnis/read...umpang-di-2020

I don't include ordinary trains to neighboring cities.
If you want you can add ordinary buses, angkots, taxis, etc. Plus the growing ride hailing giants GoJek vs Grab. Bajaj and becak are ban in main roads coz they are too slow, worsen traffic. And I thought Jakarta's traffic WAS that bad as your friend said, turn out it is quite on par with growing traffic in Manila, average 68 minutes in Jakarta vs 66 minutes in MetroManila

Worst city traffic in Asia: Metro Manila ranks 3rd - Trade Union Congress of the Philippines
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by manolopo View Post
If Indonesia, being 6x larger in land area, and more than 2.5x larger in population, ever got less tourists than the Philippines, then something would be very wrong. Indonesia should be getting AT LEAST 3x more tourists than the Philippines. But it only gets a little more than 2x more tourists. It's really under-touristed, but that's not really a bad thing.
There's nothing wrong, honey. Since not all area is marketable or try to market itself as tourist attraction, as I said before.

By your logic, how many tourists should both Indo and Phil get to be comparable to Singapore? Singapore attract 13.9 million in 2017. Philippines has 20x larger in population and 400x larger in land area. So Philippines at least need to attract 20 times more? That's 260 million tourists, not 6 million tourists.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:04 PM

1,117 posts, read 832,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landove View Post
There's nothing wrong, honey. Since not all area is marketable or try to market itself as tourist attraction, as I said before.

By your logic, how many tourists should both Indo and Phil get to be comparable to Singapore? Singapore attract 13.9 million in 2017. Philippines has 20x larger in population and 400x larger in land area. So Philippines at least need to attract 20 times more? That's 260 million tourists, not 6 million tourists.
Singapore gets a ton of tourists per capita because it's doing well in tourism. They beat the Philippines, Indonesia, and most countries in that aspect. I dont have a problem admitting that. Vietnam also beats the Philippines in tourist arrivals, per capital and raw numbers. Cambodia doesnt beat the Philippines in raw numbers, but it beats us in per capita arrivals. So that shows me that Cambodia is doing very well for itself, and actually better than the Philippines in that aspect. Because per capita is what matters. I could simply look at the raw numbers and say "Cambodia is worse than the Philippines in tourism" but then I have to remember that it's a much smaller country in both population and land area.

I dont have a problem admitting when a country is better than the Philippines at something. If you saw my other post, I've mentioned several things that Jakarta/Indonesia beats Manila/Philippines. You're just really hostile about everything. Cut the "honey" crap out.

You mentioned this earlier
"Number of people taking out money is more important than number of people bringing in money? And you feel proud about it. "

Ok, if money is important, then lets look at how much tourism contributes to GDP of both countries. 66 billion USD in the Philippines vs 59 billion in Indonesia.

https://www.wttc.org/-/media/files/r...onesia2018.pdf

So if money is more important to you, well then the Philippines' tourism industry is winning in that aspect.

But I really dont think more tourists makes a better country or city. HCMC gets more tourists than Manila or Jakarta, but that doesnt make it a better city. It doesnt even have a train line. So sometimes tourist arrivals are an indication of a better city (Singapore, for example), but sometimes it's not.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npaladin2000 View Post
I've been to both cities. Been to Jakarta once. Nice city, nice transportation, good food. Been to Manila 6 times. Nice city, not bad transportation, good food. The difference isn't the city, it's the people. Filipinos are extremely friendly and welcoming. Indonesians are nice, and polite, but not quite as open and friendly. That's the difference as far as I'm concerned. Mind you, the way each culture treats visitors may depend on the culture and nationality of the visitor.
Language is barrier number one. And Jakartans are quite individualistic as well. If not necessary they won't talk to stranger. Stranger here is all people they don't know personally, no matter you are fellow Indonesian, or other nationals. Unlike average Indonesians and Filipinos who get excited when they meet "Whites", Jakartans don't. Filipinos are comparable to Balinese in term of openness to strangers. They won't hesitate to make conversation and spend their time to chitchat with you.

Old 01-20-2019, 10:09 PM

The "Filipinos are friendlier" is a really dumb argument to me. First of all, it's hard to quantify. And in my anecdotal experience, they're not friendlier. They just want to impress whites, and they also want your money. If they were friendlier, then they'd be friendly to fellow Filipinos too, but they're not. There's lots of grumpy people in Manila, especially the cab drivers. You find much friendlier people in places like Japan. Maybe they're not as outgoing, but they're so much more polite, and they dont ever show bad attitudes like Filipinos do

Old 01-20-2019, 11:42 PM

1,002 posts, read 896,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
You see that, once these Indones feel defeated with the positives, they'll begin inserting negatives as if they dont have them as well.
defeated? with Pinoy's comments that always deviate from reality? and always not accept if Jakarta is more than Manila?

Old 01-20-2019, 11:48 PM

Quote:
You sound super pathetic. Are Western tourists somehow better than Korean tourists? Why. Because they're white? I bet you wish Indonesia was colonized longer.

You'll see a mix of Western and East Asian tourists all over the top tourist spots in the Philippines. Places like Boracay, Palawan, Siargao, various Visayan islands like Bohol.

That's why the president closed down the island for 6 months to clean it up. Now he limited the number of tourists who can even come to the island. More tourists doesnt mean better
sorry my comment deviates from the actual thread manila vs jakarta, because you first started i'm reply ..
tourists who come to Indonesia are of course 3 x from philippines, how do you want to equate foreign tourists who come to Indonesia such as Bali for example, the same as Philipines Pallawan ??? hahaha don't make me laugh, I can count tourists on your vidio with my finger ... when you are in Bali almost on the edge of the beach,street , temples , bars, restaurants, cafes, shopping is full of white people even many world famous people visit Bali .
So Bali is always a favorite of western countries like UK, USA, German, France, Russia, Belgium etc, because all people from western countries very like example like entertainment, beaches, resorts, temples, culture,bars,cafe etc are all perfectly presented, how do Philipines attract tourism? ?? you're still proud of 1 million Koreans coming to visited and live in Philipines?

some good places in bali that are full of foreigners

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mAJK8Kg2EZs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fy_JHPJ5fjw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlaItf9S4rU

Last edited by Michiko_shanyang; 01-21-2019 at 12:03 AM..

Old 01-21-2019, 12:03 AM

^ OMG. You really love white people dont you? Is something wrong with Koreans? Do you wish Indonesia was colonized longer by white people? Do you wish more white people lived in Indonesia? Do you look in the mirror and hate yourself because you're not white?

Old 01-21-2019, 12:18 AM

Quote:
^ OMG. You really love white people dont you? Is something wrong with Koreans? Do you wish Indonesia was colonized longer by white people? Do you wish more white people lived in Indonesia? Do you look in the mirror and hate yourself because you're not white?
not love white or worshipers, Indo is not the same as Pinoys, but the reality of Indonesia / Bali is that more Western People visitors come from rich countries,but still the visitor rating is chinese, not wrong in all the discussion topics almost most of filipinos are always proud of korean tourists who visit and live there,your like K.Pop, K.Drama or Small eye ? if you in Jakarta you want to see Korea (sorry Korean face) only go to 90% CP with so many people with oriental face hahaha

Old 01-21-2019, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
not love white or worshipers, Indo is not the same as Pinoys, but the reality of Indonesia / Bali is that more Western People visitors come from rich countries,but still the visitor rating is chinese, not wrong in all the discussion topics almost most of filipinos are always proud of korean tourists who visit and live there,your like K.Pop, K.Drama or Small eye ? if you in Jakarta you want to see Korea (sorry Korean face) only go to 90% CP with so many people with oriental face hahaha

You worship whites and you wish Indonesia would get recolonized by the Dutch so that you can become more western.

Koreans, Chinese and other Asians are not less than white people. You're implying that white people are better than Asians. You're just showing how much you hate yourself. No matter how many whites visit Bali, it doesnt make you a white person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia