Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2019, 12:17 AM

95 posts, read 68,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melpomene View Post
Because Bali gets sooo many tourists that some of those tourists are bound to eventually make their way to Jakarta? At least that's what happened to us.

I have not seen anyone here claim that walkability is the only reason, but I have seen someone claiming it is complete nonsense.
tell me about hanoi visitor then? or just same story like Jakarta visitor?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2019, 12:26 AM

152 posts, read 61,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Pagpag View Post
tell me about hanoi visitor then? or just same story like Jakarta visitor?
Are my thoughts and experiences not satisfactory enough that you must deflect to Hanoi?

Old 02-27-2019, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Are my thoughts and experiences not satisfactory enough that you must deflect to Hanoi?
so that also in my thoughts and experinces walkability is nonsense when have worst road, rail, port, airport, public transport, etc

those classy entertainment and many classy event i post previously or Djakarta Warehouse Project largest in Asia attract more visitor to come Jakarta

And i post many thing uniqueness / vibrant in Jakarta nature sight, beach, island, culture, food, old town, modern town, etc NOT just pointless promoting CBD / walkable story

Last edited by Mr.Pagpag; 02-27-2019 at 01:39 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 03:13 AM

152 posts, read 61,268 times
Quote:
so that also in my thoughts and experinces walkability is nonsense when have worst road, rail, port, airport, public transport, etc

those classy entertainment and many classy event i post previously or Djakarta Warehouse Project largest in Asia attract more visitor to come Jakarta

And i post many thing uniqueness / vibrant in Jakarta nature sight, beach, island, culture, food, old town, modern town, etc NOT just pointless promoting CBD / walkable story
I'm sorry to point this out but the things you listed as unique in Jakarta are not particularly so. Food, culture, old town etc--one can experience these things in other parts of Indonesia as well as outsde. However, Jakarta has no iconic structures like the Petronas in Kuala Lumpur, no UNESCO sites like the San Agustin church in Manila, no utterly heart wrenching places like the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum in Phnom Penh, and so on.

I think that we will just have to agree to disagree. I'm guessing you grew up relying on a set of wheels to take you around so for you walking is overrated. But I'm seeing cities taking active steps to make their streets more pedestrian friendly, encouraging people to drive less and walk more as they realize the benefits--not only is this better for people's health as walking is a form of exercise, but for the environment as well.

Old 02-27-2019, 03:46 AM

Quote:
I'm sorry to point this out but the things you listed as unique in Jakarta are not particularly so. Food, culture, old town etc--one can experience these things in other parts of Indonesia as well as outsde. However, Jakarta has no iconic structures like the Petronas in Kuala Lumpur, no UNESCO sites like the San Agustin church in Manila, no utterly heart wrenching places like the Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum in Phnom Penh, and so on.

I think that we will just have to agree to disagree. I'm guessing you grew up relying on a set of wheels to take you around so for you walking is overrated. But I'm seeing cities taking active steps to make their streets more pedestrian friendly, encouraging people to drive less and walk more as they realize the benefits--not only is this better for people's health as walking is a form of exercise, but for the environment as well.

Oh really? Just spend 1 day, and feeling know everything about jakarta, lmao
Every city in Indonesia has their identity
Jakarta has unique local traditional dishes + drink, Jakarta has their culture identity, i already post previously
Street vendor not just copycat no identity / selling burger / hotdog ,.. tasteless salt + vinegar

No unique structure identity? try harder bro? easy to identify this located in jakarta

iconic structure

then u brag about unesco site??? so tell me how singapore, bangkok, kuala lumpur, hanoi, jakarta atract visitor?

I think that we will just have to agree to disagree.,.. in overall aspect Jakarta ahead Manila (not just cherrypicking small2 aspect / percapita nonsense).

Last edited by Mr.Pagpag; 02-27-2019 at 03:58 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 04:07 AM

Talking about enviroment

Overall Green Cities Index
https://www.siemens.com/entry/cc/fea...rt_summary.pdf
above average : Singapore
average : Bangkok, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur
below average : Hanoi, Manila

Note: no need to play cherry picking some aspect to make ur city look better

Old 02-27-2019, 05:31 AM

1,117 posts, read 841,683 times
^ yeah, you're right, we dont have to cherry-pick. We can focus on the cities' livability as a whole instead of cherry-picking specific aspects.

Economist Intelligence Unit’s global liveability index. This index "examines over 30 factors across five broad categories: stability, healthcare, culture and environment, education and infrastructure"

Manila is ranked 103, while Jakarta is ranked 119. I cant find the full list for 2018, but this article mentions both Jakarta and Manila.
http://www.travelweekly-asia.com/Destination-Travel/The-world-s-most-liveable-city-The-results-are-in

Then we have Mercer's Quality of Living Survey. "The quality of living survey is conducted to help governments and major companies place employees on international assignments." So while the first index I mentioned is more about quality of life for everyone in the city, this survey has more focus on quality of life for international business-people who move to a new country. It's still about overall quality of life, but it weighs factors that expats care about more heavily than the first index

In 2018, Manila is ranked 137 while Jakarta is ranked 142
https://www.mercer.com/newsroom/2018-quality-of-living-survey.html

Old 02-27-2019, 05:45 AM

Yeah Jakarta ahead Manila

Quote:
Sustainable Cities Index 2018
https://www.arcadis.com/en/global/ou...SAAEgLH5_D_BwE
https://seasia.co/2018/11/04/2018-su...sian-countries
94 Jakarta
95 Manila

Innovation Cities Index 2018
https://www.innovation-cities.com/in...-global/13935/
177 Jakarta
287 Manila

Safest City Index 2018
https://ceoworld.biz/2018/09/19/the-...-ranking-2018/
252 Jakarta, Indonesia 46.06
276 Manila, Philippines 41.35

Overal Liveability City Index 2018
https://lkyspp.nus.edu.sg/docs/defau...rsn=5f5c720a_2
60 Jakarta
71 Manila

https://www.internations.org/expat-i...r-expats-39685

Last edited by Mr.Pagpag; 02-27-2019 at 07:00 AM..

Old 02-27-2019, 06:35 AM

732 posts, read 779,791 times
^^ you see how ironic it is that:

1. Manila is not included on the ranking.
2. Jakarta is higher than Hongkong? Really???
3. London and Paris at the bottom 10?? Really?

Can you please post the link of that ranking for us to know the methodology they used.

Old 02-27-2019, 06:43 AM

^ you see how ironic manila is not on the list,.. maybe your city not attracting
since u too much whining better go work for those reporter so u can get more knowledge

Really Jakarta more attracting than Manila, international visitors, 2016
32 Denpasar / Bali ---------------------------------- 6,238,300
58 Jakarta ------------------------------------------- 3,587,500
74 Manila ------------------------------ -- just only 1,320,000
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ional_visitors

so what kind other story u want to brag here?

Last edited by Mr.Pagpag; 02-27-2019 at 07:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia