Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2017, 12:28 PM

2,303 posts, read 2,942,029 times

Advertisements

When I go again to SouthEast Asia should I go to Jakarta or Manila? I like big cities for all their attractions but both of these cities get something of a bad rap. Only want to go to one or the other and maybe explore other sites nearby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2017, 02:42 AM

14 posts, read 37,726 times
by the data amount of tourist come to both country. INDO 12Million, PH 6Million. i think jakarta as the capital city of indonesia more interesting than Manila, jakarta area is reachable. their old town good enough to attract tourist,the nightlife is good and the culinary is delicious.

Old 07-10-2017, 06:27 PM

732 posts, read 771,780 times
^^Half of that 12 million of course goes to Bali. Good for you, you have Bali. But I should say it's not Jakarta at all who makes the chunk of your tourist so it's a questionable indicator to factor out.

I'm from the Phils so it's normal for me to choose Manila. But I think to be more subjective here's my take. If you are looking for attractions, both has much to offer. For shopping, luxury item go for Jakarta but overall shopping vibrancy and experience go for Manila. For overall landscape, I think overall both cities are bad at traffic. Jakarta seems to be not a walkable city from what I usually hear, Manila in general isn't walkable and are as car-centric as Jakarta but has walkable and pedestrian friendly places in its more than 5 CBDs. They tend to be similar, but for now I rate Manila better.

Old 07-12-2017, 08:44 AM

16,284 posts, read 42,968,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQSunseeker View Post
When I go again to SouthEast Asia should I go to Jakarta or Manila? I like big cities for all their attractions but both of these cities get something of a bad rap. Only want to go to one or the other and maybe explore other sites nearby.
Depends on what you want to do. Party? Have fun? Enjoy the nightlife? Either is fun.

Go to a lot of shopping malls? Both are fantastic.

Neither city is very enjoyable for strolling around the city streets. Both are not very walkable, and you have a lot of negatives for walking around, which usually pushes more into the 'safe' and 'air-conditioned' places of shopping malls, movie theaters, and clubbing/bars and such.

Both cities have pretty much the same positives and negatives overall. Any positive of one over another, would only be marginal, in general.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:33 AM

^^^
Agree with most except for the walkable thing. Clearly you have not been able to stroll most of Manila. Manila is walkable in most places except for the chaotic neihgborhoods which you can still stroll but may not be ideal to do not because it is not walkable but due to the perception that they are not safe(but not for me maybe because I am a local). Makati, BGC, Ortigas, Alabang, and parts of Quezon, Pasay, ParaƱaque and Manila Cities has pretty much world class areas that can compare even with Singapore and first-world cities in walkability and infrastructure which you wont see much in neighboring ASEAN cities except Singapura.

Can't speak much of Jakarta though.

Old 07-12-2017, 09:48 AM

One example. (Take note, this is not an air-conditioned mall)

BGC, Taguig, Manila

Source: 123rf.com

Old 07-13-2017, 01:34 PM

3,111 posts, read 2,934,164 times
I vote for Jakarta...as someone living in Chiang Mai. Good beer and cigars in the Phil's, just a bit too much Catholicism, which equates to too many kids and poverty. Friends in Hong Kong swear by the Indo ladies. Bali seems to be a tourist trap filled with drunken Australians...no thanks.

Old 07-13-2017, 10:23 PM

1,006 posts, read 889,232 times
Jakarta and Manila have many advantages and disadvantages, but so far Jakarta is growing very fast, there is a discourse for the removal of the capital city because Jakarta may be prepared as a business city center, economy and trade, later the central government will not be in Jakarta maybe move to Kalimantan/Borneo or West Java.

Some of the best places in Jakarta;

https://www.ismaya.com/files/page_me...s1_931_361.jpg

https://ak2.picdn.net/shutterstock/v...82/thumb/1.jpg

https://triip.imgix.net/triips/image...2&w=1366&h=638

https://img.indoclubbing.com/photos/73985/1.jpg

Old 10-03-2017, 08:14 PM

1,006 posts, read 889,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by neMarL View Post
^^^
Agree with most except for the walkable thing. Clearly you have not been able to stroll most of Manila. Manila is walkable in most places except for the chaotic neihgborhoods which you can still stroll but may not be ideal to do not because it is not walkable but due to the perception that they are not safe(but not for me maybe because I am a local). Makati, BGC, Ortigas, Alabang, and parts of Quezon, Pasay, ParaƱaque and Manila Cities has pretty much world class areas that can compare even with Singapore and first-world cities in walkability and infrastructure which you wont see much in neighboring ASEAN cities except Singapura.

Can't speak much of Jakarta though.
You are talking about Infrastructure , Jakarta also has the high class Infrastructure, example in the area "SCBD Jakarta", "Kuningan City" etc (see on Youtube), Jakarta is City Most Owns SkyscraperCity . that's why a lot of investment come from developed country countries like UK, USA, Japan etc,they are more interested to Jakarta than any other city in southeast asia except singapore. ! this talks about reality.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michiko_shanyang View Post
You are talking about Infrastructure , Jakarta also has the high class Infrastructure, example in the area "SCBD Jakarta", "Kuningan City" etc (see on Youtube), Jakarta is City Most Owns SkyscraperCity . that's why a lot of investment come from developed country countries like UK, USA, Japan etc,they are more interested to Jakarta than any other city in southeast asia except singapore. ! this talks about reality.
How come they are most interested in Jakarta when for example Apple store after Singapore they will put up a store in Bangkok next? For BPOs they put it up in Manila instead of yours? Many other stores including H & M, Forever 21 or Uniqlo, Jakarta has the lowest branches as of yet among the 5 powehouse cities in Southeast Asia?

Also among the ASEAN 5 referring to their key cities, Jakarta has the least skyscrapers in the region and even the skyline. This is the ranking of the cities skyscrapers/highrise/skyline in SEA:

1. Bangkok
2. M. Manila
3. Singapore
4. Kuala Lumpur
5. Jakarta

As of 2016 world skyline ranking Bangkok is 8th, Manila 10th, SG 11th, KL is 14th and Jakarta is at 16th.

Just be thankful of the recent devts you are getting, as I am seeing growing pride to the point of ridiculing their neighbors on Facebook, Youtube and Reddit among Indonesian keyboard warriors, you still have long long shot to go and you still lag in so many key aspects among your peers in Southeast Asia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia