U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2017, 08:31 PM

1,910 posts, read 959,763 times

Advertisements

I'm going to India in a few months and would like to take a bunch of small "thank-you" gifts for hotel employees and guides who go over and beyond their designated jobs. Would tips of money be better? Money would be a lot more convenient, but I know in some cultures, tipping is considered an insult and I sure wouldn't want to insult anyone. If money isn't the proper thing, what small items would be appropriate?

I will be with a tour group and I know that monetary tipping is appropriate for our tour guide and bus driver and leaving a tip for the hotel maid, but I'm talking about something for over-and-above assistance/help/kindness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2017, 05:53 PM

345 posts, read 154,743 times
You can buy almost anything in India and money is always appreciated so that may be best. It might be nice to include a hand-written note if possible. It is not insulting to tip in India. If it's someone you are already tipping (such as a guide) you can either increase the tip or include something personal from your hometown/state.

As difficult as it is do not give money to beggars and no candy for children. Enjoy India!

Old 07-12-2017, 11:45 AM

3,605 posts, read 1,557,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
I'm going to India in a few months and would like to take a bunch of small "thank-you" gifts for hotel employees and guides who go over and beyond their designated jobs. Would tips of money be better? Money would be a lot more convenient, but I know in some cultures, tipping is considered an insult and I sure wouldn't want to insult anyone. If money isn't the proper thing, what small items would be appropriate?

I will be with a tour group and I know that monetary tipping is appropriate for our tour guide and bus driver and leaving a tip for the hotel maid, but I'm talking about something for over-and-above assistance/help/kindness.
You can leave tips for Room Service, Food servers and wait staff and drivers. If you are tipping , make sure you are leaving cash so that they pick it up personally. I do not know if the tips you pay with credit card are duly given to them.

If you are not sure, just say Thanks. That small courtesy makes them happier than money, even though they make peanuts. Since many people don't even treat other people with respect and politeness.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:33 AM

162 posts, read 101,006 times
Most of them will appreciate the money tips,but i would suggest small items like anything made in america ,it still carries some importance.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:18 PM

3,656 posts, read 3,519,208 times
Tipping will be more appreciated then "Thank-You Gifts". Money is the biggest Thank You. As Indians seldom tip, they look at Foreigners for tips.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:27 PM

1,804 posts, read 806,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Tipping will be more appreciated then "Thank-You Gifts". Money is the biggest Thank You. As Indians seldom tip, they look at Foreigners for tips.
Yes, most Indians working in service sector are quite poor and I'm sure they'll appreciate cash more.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:17 AM

2 posts, read 900 times
See It all depend on you either you pay money or gift one of the best things from your country.

Old 10-09-2017, 10:32 AM

12,276 posts, read 18,401,528 times
Cash for sure - DO NOT overtip by the way, a frequent mistake for Americans - you don't won't tour guides and hotel clerks making more money than teachers and doctors.

Old 08-26-2018, 04:41 AM

1 posts, read 205 times
Default AP Web Solution

Thank You.

Old 08-26-2018, 08:09 AM

863 posts, read 426,547 times
Also, a good review naming an individual would help in such a competitive country as India.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia