U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2017, 07:58 PM

39 posts, read 26,052 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I would love to take a trip to Thailand sometime over the next couple or so years. It's been one of my dream destinations for a long time, but I have two concerns for which I'd like more information.

Prejudice against (South Asian) Indians
I've heard that many Thais hold negative views towards people from India. I'm an American, but my dad is from India, and I definitely appear Indian. How likely is it that this would result in discrimination?

It appears that many negative views held by Thais are the result of some misbehaving Indian tourists who've obtained the reputation of "loud' and "stinky." I'm neither of those, and I intend to be respectful to the people, culture, and norms of Thailand.

Hope my medications are legal
I take Adderall, which I've read is illegal in Thailand. I've heard conflicting information on whether or not I could bring in what I'm prescribed.

I don't want to break their laws or risk arrest. Any advice? Is a different but somewhat similar drug like Ritalin (a possible substitute that could work for me) legal?

I would appreciate your advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 10:45 AM

3,848 posts, read 3,968,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BHOHRC87 View Post
Hi guys,

I would love to take a trip to Thailand sometime over the next couple or so years. It's been one of my dream destinations for a long time, but I have two concerns for which I'd like more information.

I've heard that many Thais hold negative views towards people from India. I'm an American, but my dad is from India, and I definitely appear Indian. How likely is it that this would result in discrimination?

It appears that many negative views held by Thais are the result of some misbehaving Indian tourists who've obtained the reputation of "loud' and "stinky." I'm neither of those, and I intend to be respectful to the people, culture, and norms of Thailand.

I take Adderall, which I've read is illegal in Thailand. I've heard conflicting information on whether or not I could bring in what I'm prescribed.

I don't want to break their laws or risk arrest. Any advice? Is a different but somewhat similar drug like Ritalin (a possible substitute that could work for me) legal?

I visited Thailand last month for 2 weeks and loved it. Most of the cautionary tales I read about pre-trip were overstated, it's a very free country, plenty modern and accepting. Remember that they love tourism, they've been at it for a long time and don't want to rock that lucrative boat.

I heard some lite prejudice against the Chinese and they prefer (at least in advertising and entertainment) lighter skin over darker skin but you won't have to worry about being Indian American. If so, just dress stereotypical American and they will like you, if for no other reason than to get some of your money (in return for products or services).

Generally they say to (for any country) to keep your medications in their bottle showing the prescription and doctor but I don't know specifically about Adderall. And if you put it in your checked baggage, they'll not find it, a drug-sniffing dog won't detect a pill. Maybe you contact a Thai embassy in the US for advise on that.

I was so comfortable in Thailand that I think I'll use it as my base for long-term Asia exploration after I semi-retire.

Old 07-14-2017, 01:08 PM

1,789 posts, read 1,448,665 times
Quote:

Adderall is not allowed. You will not be allowed to bring it in.

Yes there are some alternatives but I dunno specifics.

Don't bring the adderall though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
Generally they say to (for any country) to keep your medications in their bottle showing the prescription and doctor but I don't know specifically about Adderall. And if you put it in your checked baggage, they'll not find it, a drug-sniffing dog won't detect a pill. Maybe you contact a Thai embassy in the US for advise on that.
That is some extremely bad advice. A good way to get arrested for drug trafficking in one of the last places you want to get caught doing that.

Old 07-15-2017, 07:24 AM

801 posts, read 1,947,514 times
Quote:

The prejudice against Indians doesn't originate from misbehaving Indian tourists.

Granted, I'm not Indian, but I would suspect most people will just go about their day-to-day business and if you are in a major city will ignore you, unless they see an opportunity to make money. If you go to the countryside or certain other places (businesses that cater to specific demographics) some people may stare at you. Just don't do anything like go to some parents and grab their daughter and tell them you are going to marry her.

Old 07-15-2017, 08:48 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,149,597 times
Ah...there are TONS and TONS of Indians in Thailand...I wouldn't worry about it.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:14 AM

1,991 posts, read 1,188,797 times
"No Africans, No Indians" can be seen behind hotel front desks in Bangkok. Indians are also one of the most heavily scrutinized, when attempting to get a visa in their own country. Terrorist, including Pakistanis, have been known to present themselves as Indian, complete with Indian passport. If you are a legitimate tourist and present yourself as an American, you may have a great, trouble free visit. They are mostly a friendly bunch, but they are more open than most about discrimination, and yes, there is a stereotype that Indians stink.

Old 07-18-2017, 07:31 AM

39 posts, read 26,052 times
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Old 07-20-2017, 12:55 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,012,715 times
Quote:
Thanks for the advice, guys.
Like a few posters said. You shouldn't have too much of a problem. Have fun

Old 07-25-2017, 01:36 PM

1,597 posts, read 1,828,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Roach View Post
"No Africans, No Indians" can be seen behind hotel front desks in Bangkok. Indians are also one of the most heavily scrutinized, when attempting to get a visa in their own country. Terrorist, including Pakistanis, have been known to present themselves as Indian, complete with Indian passport. If you are a legitimate tourist and present yourself as an American, you may have a great, trouble free visit. They are mostly a friendly bunch, but they are more open than most about discrimination, and yes, there is a stereotype that Indians stink.

Nice way to generalize all Pakistanis

Ignorant f|_|cking idiot

Old 07-31-2017, 07:15 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,611,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Ah...there are TONS and TONS of Indians in Thailand...I wouldn't worry about it.
Correct. There is a local Sikh community in Bangkok if I remember correctly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia