U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2017, 12:29 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,673,392 times

Advertisements

What's with those raving about WeChat? Yes, if you are in China, then it surely is a handy app to have. I use it just because it's what everyone in China uses and it's the easiest/cheapest way to contact people in China. I use a lot of other messaging apps, FB Messenger, Skype, Viber, Line and WhatsApp. However, I still hate WeChat the most, especially the short voicemail feature.

I don't have a lot of WhatsApp contacts, but the censor against Google, Facebook, Twitter, flickr, Instagram, etc. left me with almost no use for having Internet access in China. Have to buy SIM cards from Hong Kong to avoid the Great Firewall and maintain contact with the world outside China. I really hate that Great Firewall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2017, 05:17 AM

509 posts, read 300,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Everyone already uses WeChat, there is no need to coerce people into using wechat. I've never even heard of whatsapp. Wechat is actually pretty awesome, better then any other social media site. It's like combining facebook, uber, Apple Pay and a food delivery service. You can send money to any other user which makes transferring money super easy.

Even if it's allowed, facebook won't replace wechat, it may coexist there, but wechat is superior in almost every way especially when linked with QQ.

If American tech companies want to work in China they have to allow censorship. That's just reality, if they don't want to censor then they won't be let in.
Wow, you must work for WeChat or the Chinese government or something. I use WeChat all the time and it is borderline junk; a buggy and flimsy app that doesn't even have a workable PC version. The old, now-abandoned Yahoo Messenger was 1000 times better.

Old 07-22-2017, 06:29 AM

2,781 posts, read 1,022,412 times
Quote:
There are some pretty sick video games and movies out there. Censorship is a slippery slope, but having no censorship isn't good either. The US has some censorship as well.
The problem is that games had a different rating board in Australia for the longest time, with 15+ being the highest while movies went up to R18+. That was recently overturned, but before that it meant that movies were able to showcase far more graphic content then games. Now I wasn't living in the country back then as I'm Canadian, but the stigma still exists and some games have either been refused classification or had content removed.

In North America (specifically the US and Canada) in this case, we use a system called ESRB to rate games, and this is where there is some indirect censorship. Mature is the highest accepted rating for most games (17+) even though an adults only (18+) rating exists. Most retailers and none of the console makers are willing to allow AO games to be stocked or sold on their platform, which limits it to the PC and by extension few developers even consider making games to that standard.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:02 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
Don't know if Whatsapp is really banned. I am contacting a friend living in Beijing quite often via Whatsapp.

But indeed there are good alternatives, the only advantage of Whatsapp is that everybody has it. I prefer Naver Line or Kakaotalk anyways.
In the chinese context, few Chinese has whatspp. Far from "Everyone has it". Many don't even know about it.

Your friend in Beijing uses it mostly likely with non-Chinese.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:59 PM

2,214 posts, read 2,636,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
In the chinese context, few Chinese has whatspp. Far from "Everyone has it". Many don't even know about it.

Your friend in Beijing uses it mostly likely with non-Chinese.
Yes, I mean I am only using whatsapp, because everyone I am talking to uses it. Not because I like the app or whatever. There are many better alternatives, but that does not help me if I can hardly find 2 people there.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:08 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,649,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
Wow, you must work for WeChat or the Chinese government or something. I use WeChat all the time and it is borderline junk; a buggy and flimsy app that doesn't even have a workable PC version. The old, now-abandoned Yahoo Messenger was 1000 times better.
Wechat doesn't need to be on PCs. It's an app for mobile devices. I've had problems with QQ, which can be used on PC, but I've never had issues with Wechat, I don't use QQ anymore either. I use both wechat and facebook daily, they are both top of the line social media apps. I've just never had a need for other apps on a personal basis. I do use twitter and instagram for my business, but not personally. I used to use Skype, but even that is no longer necessary.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:12 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,649,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
The problem is that games had a different rating board in Australia for the longest time, with 15+ being the highest while movies went up to R18+. That was recently overturned, but before that it meant that movies were able to showcase far more graphic content then games. Now I wasn't living in the country back then as I'm Canadian, but the stigma still exists and some games have either been refused classification or had content removed.

In North America (specifically the US and Canada) in this case, we use a system called ESRB to rate games, and this is where there is some indirect censorship. Mature is the highest accepted rating for most games (17+) even though an adults only (18+) rating exists. Most retailers and none of the console makers are willing to allow AO games to be stocked or sold on their platform, which limits it to the PC and by extension few developers even consider making games to that standard.
Interesting, I've heard Australia is stricter, but I never really knew why. Is New Zealand the same as Australia?

Old 07-23-2017, 01:17 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,286,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maliblue View Post
why would you need a PC version? (plus, there is).

You probably don't know the full functions of wechat. It is much better than whatsap, facebook etc. FB is real junk nowadays. I don't know why people are still using it.

Can you use Yahoo messenger to buy street food? To pay for air ticket? Don't think so. Baidu etc are real crappy, but wechat is topnotch.

Old 07-23-2017, 03:07 AM

1,099 posts, read 1,673,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
why would you need a PC version? (plus, there is).

You probably don't know the full functions of wechat. It is much better than whatsap, facebook etc. FB is real junk nowadays. I don't know why people are still using it.

Can you use Yahoo messenger to buy street food? To pay for air ticket? Don't think so. Baidu etc are real crappy, but wechat is topnotch.
I also used the WeChat PC version. Among the reasons why I want to is because I type faster on the PC and I can forward some photos or other files easier. I also use the desktop versions of FB Messenger, Skype and Viber. WeChat is the crappiest. I understand I need to be authenticated using my phone to scan a QR code the first time. That is what Viber does too. But WeChat desktop version requires that every single time I turn on my computer! I finally just uninstalled it as I got tired scanning QR codes every morning when I turn on my computer.

And for those of us not in China, we cannot buy street food or air tickets or do much anyway with WeChat. Depending where you are, one does not need to use any messaging app for those, just Apple Pay or Android Pay.

And yeah, Baidu sucks too! It gives me a headache every time I am forced to use it in China as Google is blocked.

Old 07-23-2017, 05:14 AM

2,781 posts, read 1,022,412 times
Quote:
Interesting, I've heard Australia is stricter, but I never really knew why. Is New Zealand the same as Australia?
Not sure, though to the best of my knowledge some of the games that were censored in Australia were left unchanged in New Zealand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or