U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 07:38 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
I also used the WeChat PC version. Among the reasons why I want to is because I type faster on the PC and I can forward some photos or other files easier. I also use the desktop versions of FB Messenger, Skype and Viber. WeChat is the crappiest. I understand I need to be authenticated using my phone to scan a QR code the first time. That is what Viber does too. But WeChat desktop version requires that every single time I turn on my computer! I finally just uninstalled it as I got tired scanning QR codes every morning when I turn on my computer.

And for those of us not in China, we cannot buy street food or air tickets or do much anyway with WeChat. Depending where you are, one does not need to use any messaging app for those, just Apple Pay or Android Pay.

And yeah, Baidu sucks too! It gives me a headache every time I am forced to use it in China as Google is blocked.
Wechat is not meant for one for PC. If you need to type many words frequently, then it is not for you. \\

Facebook is a completely different product, not comparable. I hate FB and all the ads and promotes, sucks. And it constantly begs you to add friends or post something, pathetic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 08:34 AM

32,060 posts, read 32,962,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
In the chinese context, few Chinese has whatspp. Far from "Everyone has it". Many don't even know about it.

Your friend in Beijing uses it mostly likely with non-Chinese.
I use Whatsapp to communicate with a former Chinese student of mine who I taught in China and this former student has never been outside of China as far as I know.

Old 07-23-2017, 09:07 PM

1,099 posts, read 1,668,250 times
Quote:
Wechat is not meant for one for PC. If you need to type many words frequently, then it is not for you. \\

Facebook is a completely different product, not comparable. I hate FB and all the ads and promotes, sucks. And it constantly begs you to add friends or post something, pathetic.
Wow, suddenly it's the user's fault?
WeChat made a PC version of their app, so their PC version better be suitable for PC users. How is that not a reasonable expectation?

And I only mentioned Facebook Messenger, not facebook itself. It's a different app from facebook now, although it does share some things with facebook itself. Anyhow, if you don't like facebook, then don't use it. I don't exactly love the app that much as to defend it here.

Old 07-23-2017, 10:35 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,636,371 times
Quote:
WeChat made a PC version of their app, so their PC version better be suitable for PC users. How is that not a reasonable expectation?

And I only mentioned Facebook Messenger, not facebook itself. It's a different app from facebook now, although it does share some things with facebook itself. Anyhow, if you don't like facebook, then don't use it. I don't exactly love the app that much as to defend it here.
Something that makes Wechat useful is being able to use it in restaurants or stores to pay for meals, buy tickets for trains while on a bus, send money to a friend, or literally anyone basically with one click. You order deliver or call a cab. All from one app. I did realize I do have it on my iMac, but I really don't use it very often except to transfer files. I use facebook a lot more on the computer, but that's also a lot related to my business page.

I just don't really see the point of other apps, I can do basically everything with facebook and wechat. Facebook needs to start improving their food delivery/order section and start allowing other purchases like planet tickets.

Yes that sounds like an ad for wechat, but for me personally it has made almost every other app obsolete. That said, here in the US, wechat is basically just a messenger and has no advantage over any other social media app.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:50 AM

Quote:

no, not your fault, but probably 1% user ever use PC version of wechat. If you need it, that's not the product for you.

Maybe you don't know it, the PC version is primarily for the editing of public blogs (long articles) that are shared among users. It is not for online chatting.

Old 07-25-2017, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Something that makes Wechat useful is being able to use it in restaurants or stores to pay for meals, buy tickets for trains while on a bus, send money to a friend, or literally anyone basically with one click. You order deliver or call a cab. All from one app. I did realize I do have it on my iMac, but I really don't use it very often except to transfer files. I use facebook a lot more on the computer, but that's also a lot related to my business page.

I just don't really see the point of other apps, I can do basically everything with facebook and wechat. Facebook needs to start improving their food delivery/order section and start allowing other purchases like planet tickets.

Yes that sounds like an ad for wechat, but for me personally it has made almost every other app obsolete. That said, here in the US, wechat is basically just a messenger and has no advantage over any other social media app.
I don't know anyone is the USA who uses wechat on a regular basis.

Old 07-25-2017, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I don't know anyone is the USA who uses wechat on a regular basis.
I don't know anyone in the US that takes high speed train on a regular basis either.

Old 07-30-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
I don't know anyone in the US that takes high speed train on a regular basis either.
What does taking the high speed train have to do with Whatsapp or electronic communications (like wechat)?

Old 07-31-2017, 03:26 AM

2,776 posts, read 1,011,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
What does taking the high speed train have to do with Whatsapp or electronic communications (like wechat)?
What he is saying is that just because people don't use something somewhere, doesn't mean it has no practical purpose elsewhere. That's why the high speed train thing was brought, because there are a number of countries where those things are heavily used.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:23 AM

4,454 posts, read 5,741,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Everyone already uses WeChat, there is no need to coerce people into using wechat. I've never even heard of whatsapp. Wechat is actually pretty awesome, better then any other social media site. It's like combining facebook, uber, Apple Pay and a food delivery service. You can send money to any other user which makes transferring money super easy.

Even if it's allowed, facebook won't replace wechat, it may coexist there, but wechat is superior in almost every way especially when linked with QQ.

If American tech companies want to work in China they have to allow censorship. That's just reality, if they don't want to censor then they won't be let in.
Apple operates in China, an a condition for being allowed was abiding in the Chinese Censorship laws and getting rid of VPN.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or