U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: More urban?
Hong Kong 13 56.52%
Seoul 10 43.48%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 08:37 AM

189 posts, read 255,551 times

Advertisements

Which would you say has a more 'Manhattan-like' feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 11:19 AM

1,011 posts, read 629,036 times
both of them are much more modern and desirable than Manhattan, which really has third world feel

Old 08-15-2017, 11:25 AM

15,945 posts, read 36,175,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Definitely Hong Kong. It has more of that upscale elements to it, with parks and plazas and well-built buildings, the kind that feels solid.

Seoul lacks that. Everything feels more make-shift, and replaceable.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
both of them are much more modern and desirable than Manhattan, which really has third world feel
It sounds like you haven't been to Manhattan or Seoul, for that matter.

I've lived in both Manhattan and Seoul, and I am currently living right next to Hong Kong.

Manhattan and Hong Kong, along with Tokyo and London, are the wealthiest cities in the world, with the most money flowing through them. There is nothing third-world about Manhattan.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:31 AM

1,011 posts, read 629,036 times
i have lived and worked in Manhattan for years. Now they have a subway crisis for months. Ask any New Yorker about it. They don't have a working subway, the roads are full of pitholes, the bridges and airports are crumbling. can you name anything that make Manhattan a first world city?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

I've lived in both Manhattan and Seoul, and I am currently living right next to Hong Kong.

Manhattan and Hong Kong, along with Tokyo and London, are the wealthiest cities in the world, with the most money flowing through them. There is nothing third-world about Manhattan.

Old 08-15-2017, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
can you name anything that make Manhattan a first world city?
Wall Street.

And the fact that it has one of the best economies in the world.

Old 08-16-2017, 02:52 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
It is more about Manhattan having a Hong Kong kind of vibe, not the other way

Old 08-16-2017, 02:53 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,265,341 times
Quote:

the rat-infested subway for example, for that single reason I would hesitate to live there. The bridges and airports are all in horrible shape.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
the rat-infested subway for example, for that single reason I would hesitate to live there. The bridges and airports are all in horrible shape.
You live in China, right? There are rats absolutely everywhere. Throughout Asia.

New York gets pointed out within the U.S. context, because much of the U.S., particularly where the wealth and money is at, is so sterile and suburban.

I've seen significantly more rats in every Asian city (with the exception of the Japan ones).

Old 08-16-2017, 08:04 AM

2,512 posts, read 2,272,883 times
Quote:
You live in China, right? There are rats absolutely everywhere. Throughout Asia.

New York gets pointed out within the U.S. context, because much of the U.S., particularly where the wealth and money is at, is so sterile and suburban.

I've seen significantly more rats in every Asian city (with the exception of the Japan ones).
you really are a Japanophile aren't you? Japan has been notorious for it's rodent issues. It's not an exception besides appearing and to a certain point having more control due to it's economic development.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.5cfbf359da5d

I told a long-term Tokyo resident who has been collating friends’ rat and mouse encounters, from the backstreets of shabby Ueno to the Louis Vuitton-scape of Aoyama about this. He was less sanguine than me and the rat. The city, he declared — like a scientist in a disaster movie — is in the grip of a rodent crisis.

https://www.ft.com/content/8d0a14e0-...8966f?mhq5j=e1
https://www.tastingtable.com/travel/...kyo-ninja-rats
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or