Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2015, 01:02 PM

2,173 posts, read 4,405,361 times

Advertisements

Has anybody traveled to Cambodia or VN lately? What were your thoughts?

People who have been to all...what country did you enjoy most between Cambodia, VN, Thailand and Laos? I have been to Thailand only in SE Asia so far. Considering a trip to check out Singapore, Cambodia and VN in a few weeks....but most of my time will probably be spent in Cambodia. Thinking of hitting mostly Siem Reap, PP, Kampot, and Battambang and maybe some trips into the countryside. VN probably just HCMC and some close day trips from there.

Trying to decide between doing this SE Asia trip or Australia instead. Thanks for the input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2015, 06:53 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,395 times
Definitely be saving a lot of money by going to SE Asia (especially Cambodia and Laos) and more worth it.

Old 11-12-2015, 07:55 PM

Thanks. What I'm reading about Cambodia sounds very interesting with the temples, culture and landscape. I hear the people are very nice too. I have always wanted to check out Australia though. Will be a tough decision.

Old 11-13-2015, 12:39 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,577,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctr88 View Post
Has anybody traveled to Cambodia or VN lately? What were your thoughts?

People who have been to all...what country did you enjoy most between Cambodia, VN, Thailand and Laos? I have been to Thailand only in SE Asia so far. Considering a trip to check out Singapore, Cambodia and VN in a few weeks....but most of my time will probably be spent in Cambodia. Thinking of hitting mostly Siem Reap, PP, Kampot, and Battambang and maybe some trips into the countryside. VN probably just HCMC and some close day trips from there.

Trying to decide between doing this SE Asia trip or Australia instead. Thanks for the input.
I like both places but I would recommend SE Asia over Australia because for me AUS is like a nice part of the USA, while SE Asia is hugely different.

Don't know Laos but Thailand is easy to visit, Vietnam is less so but still easy. Cambodia is a pretty rustic place - dirt cheap but difficult. It is a big area so you are going to have to decide on your hopping off points.

I though VN was great, I love Thailand and Southern China. Siem Reap is hugely popular and therefore higher priced than other areas. Laos is small with relatively less traffic. You could also consider somewhere in Indonesia (a huge place).

Old 11-13-2015, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
I like both places but I would recommend SE Asia over Australia because for me AUS is like a nice part of the USA, while SE Asia is hugely different.

Don't know Laos but Thailand is easy to visit, Vietnam is less so but still easy. Cambodia is a pretty rustic place - dirt cheap but difficult. It is a big area so you are going to have to decide on your hopping off points.

I though VN was great, I love Thailand and Southern China. Siem Reap is hugely popular and therefore higher priced than other areas. Laos is small with relatively less traffic. You could also consider somewhere in Indonesia (a huge place).
Thanks for the input. Yes leaning towards SE Asia (Cambodia and VN). When were you in Cambodia and where did you go? I've was in Thailand 3 yrs ago and had a great time and it's a really great place, although very, very touristy in many places. Southern China is an interesting option, not sure how warm So. China mainland would be in late Nov and Dec? I've always wondered about Hainan. Have you been to the Philippines? Indonesia is an option and heard great things about Bali, but very touristy too (even though I would probably head inland to Ubud which is less touristy).

So looks like very good chance it will be Cambodia & VN. I may stop in Singapore on Taiwan or the way to see friends.

Old 11-13-2015, 03:17 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Would be wary of visiting Cambodia. Some of the local and national authorities were members of the Khmer Rouge.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge

Old 11-13-2015, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Would be wary of visiting Cambodia. Some of the local and national authorities were members of the Khmer Rouge.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Khmer_Rouge
The Khmer Rouge reign ended in 1978. I don't think it affects tourists.

Old 11-13-2015, 06:09 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Quote:
The Khmer Rouge reign ended in 1978. I don't think it affects tourists.
I wouldn't want to deal with government officials who had fun mowing down humans in the fields.

Old 11-13-2015, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I wouldn't want to deal with government officials who had fun mowing down humans in the fields.
I seriously doubt any Gov officials during the Khmer Rouge era are currently Gov't officials now . Many have in fact been charged with war crimes and sentenced to life in prison. Cambodia has not been ruled by the Khmer Rouge for 37 years. Tons of tourists go there.

Old 11-13-2015, 11:23 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,667,395 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt any Gov officials during the Khmer Rouge era are currently Gov't officials now . Many have in fact been charged with war crimes and sentenced to life in prison. Cambodia has not been ruled by the Khmer Rouge for 37 years. Tons of tourists go there.
Might have to be a lil cautious where you go but thats pretty much like any other place you visit anywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia