U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 03:19 PM

2,422 posts, read 1,615,404 times

Advertisements

I mean the whole K-pop thing and their dramas, the whole "Korean wave".

Japan seems good competitor but China having >20 times the population doesn't produce so much popular movies and songs? Yeah...Jackie Chan and some movies with big budget but overall Korea puts them all in its pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:50 PM

298 posts, read 188,919 times
maybe because of south korea's relationship with america. also, they seem to tailor to some degree to foreign audiences - e.g., blockbuster type movies, romantic themes, k-pop groups touring internationally, advertising. china has opened up economically to the west but still seems pretty closed off culturally and politically. some chinese directors, such as wong kar wai, have a cult type following outside china. but other than that and martial arts epics, they haven't been very succesful in terms of soft power and I think that has a lot to do with geopolitics. china is also very daunting to tackle culturally because of how big it is, its different dialects, ethnic groups, and writing system.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:54 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,614,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
I mean the whole K-pop thing and their dramas, the whole "Korean wave".

Japan seems good competitor but China having >20 times the population doesn't produce so much popular movies and songs? Yeah...Jackie Chan and some movies with big budget but overall Korea puts them all in its pocket.
China has tons of pop stars and actors. They just don't care about international market. Many of the Chinese singers never sing English songs, for example.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
maybe because of south korea's relationship with america. also, they seem to tailor to some degree to foreign audiences - e.g., blockbuster type movies, romantic themes, k-pop groups touring internationally, advertising. china has opened up economically to the west but still seems pretty closed off culturally and politically. some chinese directors, such as wong kar wai, have a cult type following outside china. but other than that and martial arts epics, they haven't been very succesful in terms of soft power and I think that has a lot to do with geopolitics. china is also very daunting to tackle culturally because of how big it is, its different dialects, ethnic groups, and writing system.
But when Hollywood shot "the memoirs of geisha", they had to use two Chinese actresses to play Japanese geishas, because Japan (or Korea) did not really have influential actresses in the world

If you pay close attention, many Hollywood movies now insert Chinese actors/actresses, or have scenes in China. Chinese investors make that happen. Even AMC is owned by a Chinese company.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:30 PM

298 posts, read 188,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
But when Hollywood shot "the memoirs of geisha", they had to use two Chinese actresses to play Japanese geishas, because Japan (or Korea) did not really have influential actresses in the world

If you pay close attention, many Hollywood movies now insert Chinese actors/actresses, or have scenes in China. Chinese investors make that happen. Even AMC is owned by a Chinese company.
that seems to have a lot to do with people wanting the chinese market to view these movies. and the chinese actors/actresses are being put in hollywood movies probably at the bidding of the chinese investors and owners you mentioned. but chinese culture is still not that popular outside of china, it's the actors or actresses who are recognized.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
that seems to have a lot to do with people wanting the chinese market to view these movies. and the chinese actors/actresses are being put in hollywood movies probably at the bidding of the chinese investors and owners you mentioned. but chinese culture is still not that popular outside of china, it's the actors or actresses who are recognized.
In the west, true. In Southeast Asia, Chinese pop culture is quite popular.
Vietnam literally dubbed all Chinese TV series.

Old 07-31-2017, 06:25 AM

2,422 posts, read 1,615,404 times
^ To be fair almost all of the most expensive non-english movies recently are Chinese:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...language_films

I counted 16 out of the top 20 recently with only 3 from India and one from Iran.

The "Great wall" movie with Matt Damon seems like a trend-setter in the sense that we may see more and more Chinese movies with just 1 or 2 "Western" actors in near future in an attempt to appeal to western audience.

But my point wasn't about big budgets, China obviously has lots of money to spare atm. I'm talking about cult following and loyal fanbase/impact.

Japan for instance has created generation of Otakus/anime addicts, j-rock fans, j-horror fans, gamers...Korea has the same with kpop and kmovies. China is just "hey they have movie with 100 million budget, lets watch it and then forget about china again".

I'm talking again from "Western" perpective, I'm not surprised if they're popular in Vietnam or Taiwan.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro123 View Post
^ To be fair almost all of the most expensive non-english movies recently are Chinese:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...language_films

I counted 16 out of the top 20 recently with only 3 from India and one from Iran.

The "Great wall" movie with Matt Damon seems like a trend-setter in the sense that we may see more and more Chinese movies with just 1 or 2 "Western" actors in near future in an attempt to appeal to western audience.

But my point wasn't about big budgets, China obviously has lots of money to spare atm. I'm talking about cult following and loyal fanbase/impact.

Japan for instance has created generation of Otakus/anime addicts, j-rock fans, j-horror fans, gamers...Korea has the same with kpop and kmovies. China is just "hey they have movie with 100 million budget, lets watch it and then forget about china again".

I'm talking again from "Western" perpective, I'm not surprised if they're popular in Vietnam or Taiwan.
Yes. On the one hand Chinese artists do not care about international market as much, and on the other hand China government has a lot of restrictions on their works.
For example, ghosts or spirits are not allowed in works of modern era. Husband or wife who has an affair must be punished one way or another in the story... Japan and Korea certainly do not have those rules.

In addition to that, other countries have restrictions on Chinese cultural products too. For example, praising Communism is illegal in South Korea, so many Chinese TV shows are automatically banned (even though the "praising" is mostly insincere, but only a convention in modern China).

Old 08-01-2017, 10:38 AM

2,518 posts, read 2,278,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Yes. On the one hand Chinese artists do not care about international market as much, and on the other hand China government has a lot of restrictions on their works.
For example, ghosts or spirits are not allowed in works of modern era. Husband or wife who has an affair must be punished one way or another in the story... Japan and Korea certainly do not have those rules.

In addition to that, other countries have restrictions on Chinese cultural products too. For example, praising Communism is illegal in South Korea, so many Chinese TV shows are automatically banned (even though the "praising" is mostly insincere, but only a convention in modern China).

Didn't China have to block Korean content because it was overtaking the local entertainment? I remember reading there was a cap placed on the amount of KDramas that could be aired because it was taking away from Chinese shows because they were more popular.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebck120 View Post
Didn't China have to block Korean content because it was overtaking the local entertainment? I remember reading there was a cap placed on the amount of KDramas that could be aired because it was taking away from Chinese shows because they were more popular.
Yes there is a cap. But South Korea has a cap too, even more strict than what China has.

Also the cap has nothing to do with South Korea per se. It is always there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or