U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2017, 05:21 AM
 
Location: Macao
15,943 posts, read 36,144,182 times
Reputation: 9478

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qworldorder View Post
I've never been, but Manila proper is the most densely populated city in the world. Metro Manila is also incredibly dense. For those who've been, how does the density affect daily living/visiting? Is it every future dystopian stereotype you've seen in movies come to life, or is it not as bad as the statistics suggest? I read this article from Wired and the thought of a 2 hour Uber drive to go 3 miles gave me chills...

https://www.wired.com/2015/12/in-a-c...ies-to-fit-in/
I think the highest density goes to Dhaka, Bangladesh, I believe. Actually, here in Macau, it is also way up there for density.

I've spent a lot of time in Manila, and it's just as dense as any other large city. I don't find it to be any MORE dense. Structurally, unfortunately, for whatever it registers on the density scales, it isn't all that walkable. It's too car-dependent in many ways, and lacks the human scale that other dense cities have - i.e. Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, etc.

One of the unique things about Manila is that it seems to be chock-filled with shopping malls absolutely everywhere. I think its the car-culture of that particular city, it is easier to just get to a mall and walk around there, than to walk around whatever neighborhood you happen to live in, in that city. Unlike say Seoul or Manhattan, where you'd have tons of interesting neighborhoods that you can walk everywhere to, and you wouldn't think about building or spending time in generic shopping malls.

The heat doesn't help much either. It isn't that pleasant to walk around Manila, combined with the fact that there aren't that many enjoyable comfortable neighborhoods to walk in either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2017, 09:16 AM
 
Location: Elysium
6,573 posts, read 3,629,274 times
Reputation: 4558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think the highest density goes to Dhaka, Bangladesh, I believe. Actually, here in Macau, it is also way up there for density.

I've spent a lot of time in Manila, and it's just as dense as any other large city. I don't find it to be any MORE dense. Structurally, unfortunately, for whatever it registers on the density scales, it isn't all that walkable. It's too car-dependent in many ways, and lacks the human scale that other dense cities have - i.e. Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, etc.

One of the unique things about Manila is that it seems to be chock-filled with shopping malls absolutely everywhere. I think its the car-culture of that particular city, it is easier to just get to a mall and walk around there, than to walk around whatever neighborhood you happen to live in, in that city. Unlike say Seoul or Manhattan, where you'd have tons of interesting neighborhoods that you can walk everywhere to, and you wouldn't think about building or spending time in generic shopping malls.

The heat doesn't help much either. It isn't that pleasant to walk around Manila, combined with the fact that there aren't that many enjoyable comfortable neighborhoods to walk in either.
On my last trip there I was seeing new outdoors malls opening. My thoughts were what are they thinking. Being from a more middle and not the upper class area the mall offered free air conditioning in a place where electricity is relatively expensive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-15-2017, 09:43 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 2,073,907 times
Reputation: 2367
problem with Manila are the single family residences. some areas are just "too dense" they packed more people in 2 story or single story apartments. if these structures get replaced with 5-story tenements, then the extra space could become parks or open space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 08:03 AM
 
621 posts, read 381,659 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
problem with Manila are the single family residences. some areas are just "too dense" they packed more people in 2 story or single story apartments. if these structures get replaced with 5-story tenements, then the extra space could become parks or open space.
I quite agree with that payutenyodagimas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think the highest density goes to Dhaka, Bangladesh, I believe. Actually, here in Macau, it is also way up there for density.

I've spent a lot of time in Manila, and it's just as dense as any other large city. I don't find it to be any MORE dense. Structurally, unfortunately, for whatever it registers on the density scales, it isn't all that walkable. It's too car-dependent in many ways, and lacks the human scale that other dense cities have - i.e. Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, etc.

One of the unique things about Manila is that it seems to be chock-filled with shopping malls absolutely everywhere. I think its the car-culture of that particular city, it is easier to just get to a mall and walk around there, than to walk around whatever neighborhood you happen to live in, in that city. Unlike say Seoul or Manhattan, where you'd have tons of interesting neighborhoods that you can walk everywhere to, and you wouldn't think about building or spending time in generic shopping malls.

The heat doesn't help much either. It isn't that pleasant to walk around Manila, combined with the fact that there aren't that many enjoyable comfortable neighborhoods to walk in either.
The city of Manila is the most densely populated city in the world. But it's a different story if we include the other cities that forms Metro Manila. The OP seems to understand already that and appears to refer to the city itself when she/he asked it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 12:10 PM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
712 posts, read 677,921 times
Reputation: 904
The density of a city with a massive metro area depends on how the political boundaries are cut, whether it is larger or smaller (hence including only the very core of the metro area or different areas), whether parks of different size are within the limits or not, etc.

In case of Manila, I see that the 'proper city' only occupies 43 km˛, so the defined area is more likely to be denser.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-21-2017, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Phoenix
1,019 posts, read 895,028 times
Reputation: 736
Manila has problems with its roads. It is normal to see street vendors on the street that took away portion of the street. In places like Balintawak and Divisoria, you can find real cheap goods here but there's just too many people that the entire roads are not passable anymore. Avoid those areas. Go instead in the malls, it is more expensive but safer and more convenient. But unlike US malls, Manila malls can also be packed esp during weekend see the picture of Mall of Asia below. People don't go to the mall to shop but simply to escape from humid heat outside. Most household in Manila do not have AC ang going to mall is a relief.

Divisoria (internet find):


Mall of Asia (internet find):
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-22-2017, 03:46 AM
 
621 posts, read 381,659 times
Reputation: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhc1985 View Post
The density of a city with a massive metro area depends on how the political boundaries are cut, whether it is larger or smaller (hence including only the very core of the metro area or different areas), whether parks of different size are within the limits or not, etc.

In case of Manila, I see that the 'proper city' only occupies 43 km˛, so the defined area is more likely to be denser.
You are right. Cities differ from metro areas much more to an urban sprawl or urban agglomeration. If we talk only about the Manila city "proper", it is considered the most densely populated city in the world (despite the large parks it has since there are districts that are so packed). But if we talk about metro areas, it can be one of those densely populated in the world but not the most. Though traffic is bad all over the metro, I think it is worst in the Manila city "proper". It is not only car traffic but people traffic.

Manila City



2017 © Paulo Alcazaren. Copyright Reserved


julocope

Metro Manila


Manila City in green highlight as compared to the whole metro.

by itsmemoonray
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2017, 09:53 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 2,073,907 times
Reputation: 2367
now you see those seemingly vacant lots? they are single story houses or 2 story apartments or shanties. you could demolish half of it and convert into 5-story tenements and make parks out of those vacated areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-26-2017, 11:57 AM
 
Location: Phoenix
1,019 posts, read 895,028 times
Reputation: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
now you see those seemingly vacant lots? they are single story houses or 2 story apartments or shanties. you could demolish half of it and convert into 5-story tenements and make parks out of those vacated areas
Exactly my thought. you can put more access roads to ease traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-28-2017, 10:11 AM
 
3,339 posts, read 2,073,907 times
Reputation: 2367
its land usage that is the problem. factories up to the 1990s were already converted into high rises/malls/office parks. its these single family residences that needs to be reclassed into high or medium density areas.


Filipinos should change their mentality that financial security equals house and lot if they are living in cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top