U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 01:29 PM

3,512 posts, read 2,971,553 times

Advertisements

I've never been, but Manila proper is the most densely populated city in the world. Metro Manila is also incredibly dense. For those who've been, how does the density affect daily living/visiting? Is it every future dystopian stereotype you've seen in movies come to life, or is it not as bad as the statistics suggest? I read this article from Wired and the thought of a 2 hour Uber drive to go 3 miles gave me chills...

https://www.wired.com/2015/12/in-a-c...ies-to-fit-in/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 02:48 PM

6,580 posts, read 3,634,743 times
Well there is not guerrilla combat between boys depending upon which street that they live on or rape gangs ready to strike if you are not in sight of a cop or barangay patrol. Traffic is bad but not total gridlock

Old 07-31-2017, 06:49 PM

480 posts, read 190,234 times
Jakarta is also very traffic compared to manila, but our government has got some solutions to overcome the daily congestion that happened,You are a foreigner when you are in jakarta also you feel the same as manila.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...ta-alternative

Old 07-31-2017, 07:49 PM

371 posts, read 284,293 times
Manila is very densely populated. Also very polluted. Traffic is an absolute nightmare, the light rail and jeepneys are filled way past capacity. If you are traveling two miles or less, your best option is walking. The Philippines has so many better places to explore, a few days in Manila was plenty for me.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:40 AM

351 posts, read 550,509 times
No, it is not a dystopian nightmare. There are things to like and things to hate about Manila. I enjoy it. If you're used to traffic in some place like L.A. or the Bay Area, then traffic in Manila won't freak you out, as far as volume is concerned... as far as the way people drive might be another matter. OP judging by your username, I suspect that you wouldn't have much trouble finding things to like about Manila. However, Manila the city is considered as rundown by people in some of the other parts of the Metro. Still lots of tourists go to the parts of the city that are noted for that, like Malate. Lots of beggars on the street, but I enjoy hanging out in Malate.

Apparently the city of Manila is beginning to make a comeback. An article I read last week, forget where it was, was about a real estate boom there and new developments being built on Manila Bay. But despite real estate prices going up, it will still be more affordable than Makate or Ortigas, two CBDs.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:58 AM

4,855 posts, read 3,380,853 times
I have a friend who lives in Angeles City and tells me stories about the area. Taking a bus across Manila that takes four hours in crazy traffic. The poverty level is something not seen here in the US. Has a girlfriend who works for a Canadian call center in Makati.

The girlfriend lives in a boarding house with about a hundred other people. No air con. Sleeps on a mat on the floor. Clothes washed in a bucket and hung out to dry in Manila's notoriously polluted air. Shared bathroom. She works a night shift and is constantly sleep deprived as people are up and about at all hours.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:20 PM

621 posts, read 382,346 times
Manila City the capital is indeed the most densely populated city in the world. Nicknamed the "city of man" is a true embodiment of what a densely populated city is- pollution, grit, traffic and also culture-rich areas, state of the art contemporary buildings, and is home to countries many unversities and government offices on the other hand, teeming with people and activity and so much energy that can be intimidating, interactive and to a point annoying at times. Though that is what makes it unique. Despite being a densely populated city, it still can be considered a true representation of what an average developing city the world has to offer.

Metro Manila on the other hand, is what we aptly call "Manila" and is what we usually refer to when we say "Manila" both locals and foreigners, which is a concurbation of 16 cities and 1 municipality including the city of Manila itself. Metro Manila is an admixture of the modern and the classic, the wealthy & the poor, the vibrant & the gritty ones, and the extremes & complicated to the simple & desirable. Whatever walks of life, then I think it has a place you can always relate to and can even call home if you are an urban guy. You can either hate it or love it!

If you prefer the gritty but with rich and colorful history and to see how urbanity has done to humanity then you can go to the capital city of Manila itself. If you prefer the rich and modern, you can check out places like Makati, BGC or Eastwood. If you prefer the more laid back, Alabang and other southern districts are fitting. And so on and so forth.

Though I hope it would improve more, I love the place the way it is. If it was a person, I woud describe it as energetic, fun , true and unprententious.

Old 08-03-2017, 02:18 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,076,763 times
some better planning and mass transport would make it better. if they raze all those single family homes and erect mulfi-family condos and disallow those jeepneys and tricycles, build more sidwalks..even with its small area would be very much liveable.

outside Metro Manila, there are a lot of vacant lots past the houses that line the roads, streets or highways.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:35 PM

621 posts, read 382,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
some better planning and mass transport would make it better. if they raze all those single family homes and erect mulfi-family condos and disallow those jeepneys and tricycles, build more sidwalks..even with its small area would be very much liveable.

outside Metro Manila, there are a lot of vacant lots past the houses that line the roads, streets or highways.
Right, I think those ultra-luxurious subdivisions should be replaced with mid to highrises and skyscrapers to sustain the city population capacity. The lowrises and mansions are always welcome on the suburbs somewhere farther such as places in Calabarzon or up to the Central Luzon plains.

Old 09-13-2017, 09:52 PM

2 posts, read 972 times
From what I heard, Cebu is better. Not as busy as Manila and still developed. It also has an international airport.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or