U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 08:27 AM

189 posts, read 255,849 times

Advertisements

Would you say Mandarin or English is more widely spoken/understood in Seoul? I'm asking because of the huge influx of Maindland tourists.

Also, do you think Mandarin will replace English as the mandatory second language in Korean middle/high schools?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 09:51 AM

5,694 posts, read 3,657,754 times
I can't answer your question directly. But when I was in Seoul, what impressed me was how much English there was. The road signs are bilingual in English and Korean, as are the subway announcements. Many shop signs had English lettering, including quite a few that were in English only, without any Korean. Most people I interacted with were able to converse in English, at least well enough that I could make myself understood. (Which was great for me, because my Korean is very limited!)

By contrast, I saw very little Chinese or Japanese signage there. Where it existed at all, it was mainly in areas that would be frequented by a lot of tourists, such as Incheon Airport or train stations.

I asked someone about this, and they said that English is preferred because it is the world's most common second language. While it's true that there are many millions of Mandarin speakers, there aren't all that many who speak it as a second language, comparatively. But lots and lots of people can speak at least some English, in addition to their native tongue.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:14 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,645,130 times
I don't think Mandarin will replace English in schools or as a second language. Mandarin will become more influential, but English is pretty well entrenched as the second language. Like the above poster said, it's on a lot of signage and used in many public announcements alongside Korean.

The same is true in Japan and China. English is the second language. Go to Shanghai or Tokyo and English is the second language.

Chinese, Japanese, and Koreans are all learning English as a second language, and that's why I don't see English being replaced in a national level.

Some places will have more Mandarin signs and speakers, like Jeju island. Or NE China will have more Korean language then English. Go to Harbin and there is more Russian then English. But overall, English won't be replaced in any of those countries as a second language, at least in our lifetime. The number of people learning English as a second language continues to increase every year.

Old 08-01-2017, 01:20 PM

902 posts, read 632,351 times
If you're trying to shop, chances are you have Chinese people or Chinese with Korean origins working there and speaking Mandarin. Otherwise, you have to assume English will be de facto the foreign language Koreans will be able to use with you.

Old 08-01-2017, 02:04 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,614,442 times
Engish is by far the most common second language in South Korea. Probably there are more Japanese speakers than Chinese speakers.

However, I also noticed many Korean students in China speak much better Chinese than English, eve though they have not lived in China long. Therefore, they always speak Chinese to other foreign students, which is different from students from most countries (they use English).

Old 08-01-2017, 04:00 PM

6,319 posts, read 6,981,922 times
When I was in Seoul I occasionally heard a bit of Mandarin from shopkeepers trying to sell me stuff (I'm Chinese). But I heard way more English. Just my anecdote, hardly scientific.

Old 08-01-2017, 07:10 PM

189 posts, read 255,849 times
Also, do mainland Chinese tourists communicate with local people in English, or in Mandarin even if the others don't know chinese

Old 08-01-2017, 11:36 PM

102 posts, read 48,679 times
South Koreans don't use "Mainland tourists", this is only used in HK and Macau, maybe Taiwan.
They use "Chinese tourists".

English is still more widely understood in South Korea. All South Koreans students learn English, can be very fluent or not fluent. Mandarin is not learnt by all, but increasing learnt by South Koreans.

Mandarin is more widely spoken in South Korea. In the airports and in Seoul, Mandarin is much more heard than English, Japanese and Cantonese. Many businesses in tourist areas have Mandarin speaking Chinese or Korean staff. If you tell these staff you are from Hong Kong in English, they will usually reply back and starting talking a lot in Mandarin to you. These staff usually speak Mandarin fluently and less fluent in English and other languages.

South Koreans are more hard working and interested in learning foreign languages than the Japanese and Mainland Chinese.

Most South Koreans cant speak fluent Mandarin. But people from China is the largest group of foreigners living in and visiting South Korea. Many Chinese living in South Korea are ethnic Koreans and lived in China for a few generations and holding Chinese passports. They speak fluent Mandarin and Korean.

I am from Hong Kong and when in South Korea, most Hong Kong tourists speak English and speak Mandarin only if someone speak fluent Mandarin to them. Most HK people, especially the older generations, cannot speak fluent English and Mandarin.

Last edited by HSrights; 08-01-2017 at 11:46 PM..

Old 08-04-2017, 01:01 AM

2,897 posts, read 5,283,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
Would you say Mandarin or English is more widely spoken/understood in Seoul? I'm asking because of the huge influx of Maindland tourists.

Also, do you think Mandarin will replace English as the mandatory second language in Korean middle/high schools?
English >> Mandarin

No.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:19 AM

102 posts, read 48,679 times
South Korea has the third highest usage of English+Mandarin together after Singapore and Hong Kong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or