U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 08:50 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times

Advertisements

Warrior Wolf 2 is showing in some cities in America now. I wanted to see it today but it was sold out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 11:45 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,637,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
How come I can't find it on IMDB?
Here's the IMDb link for Great Wall.

The Great Wall (2016) - IMDb

Old 08-05-2017, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Warrior Wolf 2 is showing in some cities in America now. I wanted to see it today but it was sold out.
Hadn't heard of it, but it looks like most AMC theatres are playing it.

That made me wonder since AMC got bought out by a Chinese company, maybe the Wanda Group, that they will start playing more Chinese movies. Maybe a couple releases a year or something.

Old 08-06-2017, 03:49 AM

1,804 posts, read 805,408 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hengdian_World_Studios

There's no Chinese equivalent of LA. But Hengdian has the largest flim studio. Few people would call it the entertainment capital, though.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:09 AM

5,586 posts, read 2,894,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Here's the IMDb link for Great Wall.

The Great Wall (2016) - IMDb
I had found that one but thought you must be referring to something else. It's not really a Chinese movie if the leading actor is an American. Also, it grossed very little in the U.S. even with Matt Damon as the headliner.

Old 08-06-2017, 05:31 AM

Quote:
I had found that one but thought you must be referring to something else. It's not really a Chinese movie if the leading actor is an American. Also, it grossed very little in the U.S. even with Matt Damon as the headliner.
It is a Chinese movie. Just the same way many Hollywood movies have non Americans in leading roles and only Damon is American, the other lead is Brazilian (I think), and everyone else is Chinese. It was filmed in China, directed and produced by Chinese, funded by a Chinese studio. It did $45~ million in the US alone, not too bad. Warrior Wolf 2 also has an American in a lead position.

I personally believe most Chinese international hits will likely be in English, or at least partially in English.

Here's another really good Chinese movie staring Christian Bale from 2011. Flowers of War
Jin ling shi san chai (2011) - IMDb

It was not a blockbuster as it only grossed $9,000 in the US, but it's a really great movie.

Old 08-06-2017, 10:00 AM

5,586 posts, read 2,894,069 times
Okay, you are not getting what was being discussed here. The debate was whether Chinese movies, with leading Chinese actors, were able to make the cross over into the box office in the West, particularly the U.S. Using a movie in which they have to have a major American actor in order to sell to a western audience is not a great example. On top of that, it was a box office flop in the U.S., even with a big name like Damon.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:28 AM

1,804 posts, read 805,408 times
Quote:
Okay, you are not getting what was being discussed here. The debate was whether Chinese movies, with leading Chinese actors, were able to make the cross over into the box office in the West, particularly the U.S. Using a movie in which they have to have a major American actor in order to sell to a western audience is not a great example. On top of that, it was a box office flop in the U.S., even with a big name like Damon.
No.

Hollywood still dominates the U.S market. European movies and Asian movies(Japanese, Korean) can't make it, why would anyone expect China to change the landscape.

When was the last time you saw a French movie in a U.S cinema?

Old 08-06-2017, 07:12 PM

653 posts, read 581,841 times
Yeah I liked Flowers of War. Good Chinese movie with Bale. Saw it in the theaters in Guangzhou.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:57 AM

1,011 posts, read 628,037 times
Wolf warrior 2 is the top film in China's history and probably will be the highest grossing film globally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
Hadn't heard of it, but it looks like most AMC theatres are playing it.

That made me wonder since AMC got bought out by a Chinese company, maybe the Wanda Group, that they will start playing more Chinese movies. Maybe a couple releases a year or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or