U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 08:05 PM

6,731 posts, read 6,630,353 times

Advertisements

Chongqing is pretty interesting too. Their light rail trains run across the mountains, sometimes even have stations IN residential buildings.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 07:23 PM

3,792 posts, read 3,026,391 times
I've heard a number being mentioned, but only Hong Kong seems to be getting universally listed by everyone. I suppose part of that is it being more well known, but I think it also makes sense given it's immediate setting (mountains and harbor) is so stunning. I wonder how surrounding areas near it are though. I've heard there's a path wrapping around the area of the island that has stunning nature and views throughout, too.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:36 PM

2,559 posts, read 1,656,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
I've heard a number being mentioned, but only Hong Kong seems to be getting universally listed by everyone. I suppose part of that is it being more well known, but I think it also makes sense given it's immediate setting (mountains and harbor) is so stunning. I wonder how surrounding areas near it are though. I've heard there's a path wrapping around the area of the island that has stunning nature and views throughout, too.
Views from Victoria peak are out of this world, day or night.

Old 08-13-2017, 11:37 PM

15,956 posts, read 36,241,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavsfan137 View Post
Since Asia's population is so big, I think the minimum for an urban area for this could be at least 3M people. What are some places that come to mind? Is there one that is an absolute runaway compared to the others?

The most obvious one I think of right away is Kathmandu, Nepal. As the bird travels, it's almost within 100 km. of Everest. I think that would have my vote overall, unless there's a place I'm not considering. However, I think that there are a number that would rank pretty well. Tokyo, surprisingly, with it's access to Mount Fuji, stunning foliage, and coastline within that distance is a definite contender. Is there a city that just sort of has a "complete package" when it comes to nature around it, or just has something so superlative that it easily outranks the others? Curious to hear your thoughts! Things to consider: Green spaces/urban parks, water beauty/coastline, geology and waterfalls, forests, varied landscapes, mountains, etc.
I've been to Kathmandu, it's not a beautiful city at all. It takes a long time to get to Everest, and Everest isn't exactly like enjoying Sequoia National Park for the day.

Tokyo is cool for the man-made stuff, but Mount Fuji and the Coastline are far away. Public transportation is expensive, which means a person living in Tokyo, probably wouldn't be going to the coastline or Mount Fuji all that often - maybe once a year to the mountain if lucky, and a handful of coastline trips during the summer, but that's about the extent of it. Depending on where one lives in Tokyo, it would be around 1-2 hours to get to the coastline. About 5-7 hours or something for Mt Fuji - not sure exactly - but it's not something that you'd just go do on a whim.

Hong Kong fits the bill the best. Tons of hiking in the mountains, tons of islands to explore, and tons of beaches. Plus, it is all within the city itself. You can be hiking in a mountain one minute, or swimming on the beach one minute, and easily within an hour, be comfortably seated in a crowded restaurant in the heart of the city.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:02 AM

2,559 posts, read 1,656,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I've been to Kathmandu, it's not a beautiful city at all. It takes a long time to get to Everest, and Everest isn't exactly like enjoying Sequoia National Park for the day.

Tokyo is cool for the man-made stuff, but Mount Fuji and the Coastline are far away. Public transportation is expensive, which means a person living in Tokyo, probably wouldn't be going to the coastline or Mount Fuji all that often - maybe once a year to the mountain if lucky, and a handful of coastline trips during the summer, but that's about the extent of it. Depending on where one lives in Tokyo, it would be around 1-2 hours to get to the coastline. About 5-7 hours or something for Mt Fuji - not sure exactly - but it's not something that you'd just go do on a whim.

Hong Kong fits the bill the best. Tons of hiking in the mountains, tons of islands to explore, and tons of beaches. Plus, it is all within the city itself. You can be hiking in a mountain one minute, or swimming on the beach one minute, and easily within an hour, be comfortably seated in a crowded restaurant in the heart of the city.
Pokhara, Nepal has lake and surrounded by snow capped Himalaya. I can't see any snow capped mountain from Kathmandu.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or