U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 04:12 PM

12,540 posts, read 18,641,773 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by payutenyodagimas View Post
thats ridiculous and I have never seen a situation like that. maybe the mom will come coz she is needed to baby sit which is really beneficial to both of you but the whole family coming in? she can petition her parents but her siblings? thats 20 years waiting time.
What's ridiculous in my post? No it's true...SE Asian ladies can be extraordinarily beautiful.

Seriously, it's hard to quantify, but from the threads I've read here and elsewhere, and from my experience in engaging with them during my Asian trips, SE Asians seem to be particularly strong family-based societies. That's not a bad thing, one just has to be aware that you don't only marry the woman, you marry her family.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 05:55 PM

5,075 posts, read 3,492,603 times
It's difficult to generalize about strong family bonds in Asia. In Japan for instance family bonds have been loosening over the years to the extent that the government has had to spend considerable resources tending to the care of the elderly who are sometimes alone and have little or no contact with their children.

In Singapore the bond is still strong possibly due to the imprint of Confucianism on the Chinese majority that teaches respect and care for elders. Similarly you'll see the same thing among the minority Indian and Malay populations.

In places like Cambodia for instance where families still face Third World economic problems and dysfunction from years of war and genocide you see situations where families sell children into the notorious network of brothels that attract sex tourists from around the world.

I've also been impressed by the family bonds in the Philippines. There are thousands of Filipinos who are forced for economic reasons to work overseas in low wage jobs to support families at home. They do this for years with trips back home maybe twice a year or so to see their loved ones and be assured they have a reasonable standard of living.

Last edited by msgsing; 08-29-2017 at 06:12 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 11:13 AM

3,368 posts, read 2,132,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
What's ridiculous in my post? No it's true...SE Asian ladies can be extraordinarily beautiful.

Seriously, it's hard to quantify, but from the threads I've read here and elsewhere, and from my experience in engaging with them during my Asian trips, SE Asians seem to be particularly strong family-based societies. That's not a bad thing, one just has to be aware that you don't only marry the woman, you marry her family.
your assertion that all her family will come live with you is just ridiculous. the waiting time for petitioning siblings is something like 20 years so its not even possible.

supporting her extended family? only if you have the means. if you are the one earning, its you who controls the purse. if she also works, she earned it so its up to her how she spends it.

Last edited by payutenyodagimas; 08-30-2017 at 11:58 AM..

Old 08-30-2017, 11:42 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,681,855 times
I was told to marry one with a small family because sometimes they ask for financial support and can be a little aggressive about it. Not the woman but her family and the amount of pressure they put on her. Never heard of them trying to bring an entire family tot the U.S. as stated that's pretty much impossible for an American citizen to do. One of my friends in RL is half-Filipino his parents have been married like 40 years.

The Philippines is a bit of a unique situation in Asia...predominately a Christian country with a lot of English speakers, and somewhat westernized, but not over the top and still retains some traditional charm and values at the same time.

Whereas the U.S. is increasingly becoming very far left in many areas and a lot of people are crossing off relationships and family values off of their list completely. What's starting to happen in Japan started happening in the U.S. a long time ago... so all of that combined with having a high rate of very beautiful women it's no wonder people go after it.

Last edited by wanderlust76; 08-30-2017 at 12:23 PM..

Old 08-30-2017, 11:52 PM

12,540 posts, read 18,641,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I was told to marry one with a small family because sometimes they ask for financial support and can be a little aggressive about it. Not the woman but her family and the amount of pressure they put on her. Never heard of them trying to bring an entire family tot the U.S. as stated that's pretty much impossible for an American citizen to do. One of my friends in RL is half-Filipino his parents have been married like 40 years..
The point was in regards to first sentence, the family support aspect, using hyperbole to bring the point out in terms of moving entire family. I figured it was obvious but I guess not. For the other silly poster: I guess i need also to clarify that when I said Americans are Gods in an earlier post I am not really saying that Americans are omniprecent supreme beings.

Anyways it seems you confirm what I have heard as well to some degree.

Old 09-01-2017, 05:32 PM

5,075 posts, read 3,492,603 times
If you're going to the Philippines to marry or to just have a relationship do your due diligence in these matters. There is no divorce in that country and to engage in a relationship with a married person opens you up to criminal prosecution and or blackmail from a spouse who has set you up for a money making opportunity.

If your intent is marriage make sure you prospective wife is single. You should go to the Philippine National Statistics Office (NSO) online and request, fill out and return a CENOMAR form. You will be advised if your lady is single or married. If you started a relationship online don't provide any money until you make personal contact. Better safe than sorry.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:06 AM

1,820 posts, read 841,224 times
Singapore is practically the affluent version of North Korea.

I'd rather move to Hong Kong.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by attisbons View Post
How about moving to other cities in the U.S. that have many Asian girls, such as LA or New York? I'd tend to agree with you many Asian/Asian-American women prefer to date outside of their race (usually a White-American) but not all women think that way. I personally know many, many Asia girls who only date/marriage with other Asians. So you might be surprised. And I'm speaking as an Asian-American female, btw.
Being Asian is definitely a disadvantage, but not every Asian male is single.

I mean, race is probably not the only reason he can't get a girlfriend. Moving to Asia may or may not make his life better.

Competition is everywhere, there are also plenty of White guys who have difficulty getting laid.

Old 09-04-2017, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post
Well, I was first thinking of moving to another area of Puget Sound, moreso nearby downtown Seattle vicninity. I currently live in an area down south of Seattle that's predominantly a white area. Just living here for my work/job at this time.

But yes, I am definitely keeping the Bay Area as a possible place to relocate to in the future.

I have attended a college summer session couple years ago in the Bay Area and I LOVED it out there (minus the gay community).

Forget about Hawaii. I was born and raised there, and I have had no luck with the girls in Hawaii. I have done online dating here in the Seattle area, and although nothing gelled into a solid romantic relationship, at least I have had more luck meeting girls here compared to Hawaii (for some odd reason).

I don't like L.A. girls. People there tend to be fake and materialistic. The girls there only look at your job, your income, and the car that you drive.

Yes, I'm mixed Korean and Japanese. I'm more into my Korean roots as my mom is from Korea and my dad was born here in the US. I speak some Korean, I'd say I'm 70% fluent. No one knows I'm part Japanese until they learn about my lastname. Otherwise, I can blend in easily in Korea. =) I was also contemplating changing my lastname to my mom's lastname.

I definitely feel more vibrant and happy when visiting Korea. But the grass looks greener on the other side of the fence when you are only visiting a place, and I have to keep telling myself that when I have the urge to leave the US and to relocate to S. Korea. It's a totally different story if I work there - Different work culture, more work hours, more stressful living, etc.

Hence, the reason why I was looking at a different Asian country to relocate to in order to find a potential future wife, and Singapore popped up on my radar when doing the research. =)

Yes, a place where I would consider moving to. But I first want to check out the northern part of my city by moving up there near Seattle. Otherwise, yes, I will definitely consider relocating to Nor cal.
Singapore is also very materialistic.

Unless you are already very wealth or you have a good job lined up in Singapore, you are not likely to be very popular there either.

Work/life balance is awful in Asian countries.

In fact, people don't really hate each other in East Asia on an individual level. Politics and personal relationships are not tightly coupled. Your Japanese last name doesn't hurt you.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:39 AM

102 posts, read 50,437 times
Hong Kong and Singapore are materialistic cities simply famous for making money.

The success behind the spectacular economic growth of China is the money driven society.

Same reason for the success of HK and Singapore economy, with the coastal locations and free economic policies and business laws of both governments also important.

The two cities have the most unaffordable property prices in the world and many women are not interested in marrying men who can't afford to own a private property. Healthcare is heavily subsidized by governments. Diet is less fat than western diets. Two reasons make these two cities having very high life expectancies. Also, most people don't drive as public transport is cheap and excellent compared with the west, and traffic congestion and lack of car parks are serious issues.

Expatriates are not mostly English teachers, there are more educated, richer and variety of expatriates in HK and Singapore compared with many other cities in Asia. There are more expatriates in HK, Singapore and Dubai working in large multinational coporations compared with Tokyo, Seoul, Taipei, Mumbai, New Delhi, Beijing, Shanghai, Guangzhou, Shenzhen etc. There are more use of English in Singapore, Dubai and HK.

Nowadays, there is an influx of western educated or rich Mainland Chinese to Singapore and HK. Many HK and Singaporean Chinese marry with educated or less educated Mainland Chinese women.

Last edited by HSrights; 09-04-2017 at 02:49 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or