U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 04:02 AM

361 posts, read 235,598 times

Advertisements

I have heard great things about the lifestyle and living in Singapore.

I am Asian-American male and thinking of moving abroad for a little bit, but later on down the road.
I was thinking of S. Korea, but my Korean is not completely fluent, and I have a Japanese lastname, so I may face discrimination there.

The lifestyle of living in the US sucks (but I thank the Lord that I was not born in Africa, N. Korea, or some dung pit in the middle east). The dating scene here sucks badly.

The social scene is not that great here, unless you're white, or black or even latino.

I have been to meet up groups, only to meet people once, and you never see them again. I work in the health care profession, and was wondering if any expats made the move to living in Singapore?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 05:01 AM

102 posts, read 50,331 times
Hawaii in the US should be a paradise for Asians and Pacific Islanders. Bad things are the distance to other places, high prices and boring. A lot less materialistic than cities like NYC, London, Singapore and Hong Kong

You don't meet a variety of people in the health care profession.

In Hong Kong, nurses in hospitals are stressed. Many nurses complain they cannot date. Long working hours means they can't date or don't know many people of other industries and countries. Doctors in Hong Kong are also very busy and stressed. Night shift workers cannot meet other people.

You will face discrimination in South Korea if you have Japanese ancestry. Those Korean people with Japanese ancestry move to Japan and other countries to avoid discrimination. People in Singapore, Taiwan and HK... don't care much.

It is pretty sure you have heard both women and men in Japan are becoming less interested in dating. Many Japanese are not interested in the opposite sex and prefer to hang out with friends of the same sex.

China is still quite conservative and young people in their 20s are pressured and encouraged by their parents to marry before 25 or 30 years old. Many Chinese, both old and young, still think dating should lead to marriage and many girls avoid casual guys with no intent to marry and have children. The guy should also have some money. It is normal customs in China guys or guys' parents give wife's parents a large amount of cash as gift right before marriage. Those guys unable to afford this are refused. HK people don't care a lot about this Chinese custom. Many HK girls highly prefer a guy owning properties, because renting or buying a private home in HK is very very expensive. Anywhere with a Chinese speaking community, the dating scene should be more materialistic than the West. Being handsome, fit or funny is not important as in the West. There are some girls liking whites guys only and this is disliked by the locals guys. There are also some liking both whites and Asian guys from western countries. They don't belong to the majority of girls in East Asia and Singapore.

Canada and Northern Europe are quite bad about making friends or dating. Racism is not the main reason. Maybe the colder climate means coldness in human relations. People in the US are more friendly than the average Singaporeans or East Asians. Many will talk to strangers if they have the common English language. So don't complain too much. The scenes in most parts of Asia are not better. If you don't speak the local language or you look foreign, you have less chance to make friends in most of Asia compared with the locals. In Hong Kong, English work well in Central and a few other places. Young women and men in most of HK are not quite interested if you speak to them in English. Singapore is different. People in Singapore may think you are one of them until you speak American English.

There are quite many rich people in Singapore and rich people from Malaysia and China in Singapore. Many singaporeans have Southeast Asian female maids in their home. It is a society with classes, and there are many foreigners from both rich and poorer countries. Singapore is the only developed country in Southeast Asia and is considered richer on average than the Japanese, South Koreans and Taiwanese. Hong Kong is similar. Both are cities famous for focusing too much on money. You have money, you have friends.

Just to let you know what to expect in some Asian countries.

Last edited by HSrights; 08-12-2017 at 05:23 AM..

Old 08-12-2017, 05:31 AM

1,547 posts, read 1,293,004 times
I have mentioned abt the cost of living in the other thread

In Singapore you have to be sensitive to issues involving race and religion . When dining or inviting Muslims to a meal, make sure the food is halal .. And racial discrimination is not tolerated at all here

And freedom of speech, Singapore is well known for its lack of freedom of speech, if it is something you cannot tolerate, forget about Singapore.

Our education standard is pretty high I suppose. No issues.

Old 08-12-2017, 05:38 AM

102 posts, read 50,331 times
It is pretty sure racism still exist in Singapore like other cities and countries in Asia, Many Asian societies don't express racism openly and directly. Many educated people in Asia are still racist but they do not express openly and directly.

In Singapore, they use a western language called English as the main language, this helps reduce discrimination by language. In other countries, discriminating people unable to understand the main local language is very common.

Old 08-12-2017, 08:11 AM

10,212 posts, read 6,763,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSrights View Post
In Singapore, they use a western language called English as the main language, this helps reduce discrimination by language. In other countries, discriminating people unable to understand the main local language is very common.
You will have to get used to the local patois, or Singlish there...with the accent, inflections, and slang.

Understand, can or not?

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Singapo...every-sentence

Old 08-12-2017, 09:51 AM

2,818 posts, read 1,061,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
You will have to get used to the local patois, or Singlish there...with the accent, inflections, and slang.

Understand, can or not?

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Singapo...every-sentence
Why you do this lah?

People use that in Malaysia as well.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:07 AM

5,059 posts, read 3,484,210 times
I am a US citizen living there part time. My wife is a Singapore citizen. We are retired. Their are a lot of expats living and working in Singapore. I would assume you would have to apply for a work visa and already have a job lined up before moving.

Singapore is expensive for ex pats. In my case my wife gets benefits and subsidies for housing and medical care as a senior citizen that help with our expenses. Cars are very expensive. In addition to a vehicle purchase you have to get a certificate of entitlement to operate a car which costs as much as the car itself. We use public transit.

I like the multi racial vibe of Singapore. There's an acceptance and tolerance level that you don't necessarily see in some places in the US. You won't see the kind of open criticism of the government in the media that you see here. As a foreigner I keep my mouth shut and mind my own business as far as politics.

Unless you're living in a high density area of the US you're going to have to get used to a very crowded environment especially on weekends. Having said that there are beach areas and parks to get away from it all. Good luck on your search for employment and living in sunny Singapore.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:46 AM

15,965 posts, read 36,442,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunAndRain808 View Post

I am Asian-American male and thinking of moving abroad for a little bit, but later on down the road.
I was thinking of S. Korea, but my Korean is not completely fluent, and I have a Japanese lastname, so I may face discrimination there.

The lifestyle of living in the US sucks (but I thank the Lord that I was not born in Africa, N. Korea, or some dung pit in the middle east). The dating scene here sucks badly.

The social scene is not that great here, unless you're white, or black or even latino.

I have been to meet up groups, only to meet people once, and you never see them again. I work in the health care profession, and was wondering if any expats made the move to living in Singapore?
The only question in here is the "I was wondering if any expats made the move to living in Singapore?" The answer is yes.

All the rest is relative. Hard to say if your social scene would be great or not if you lived in SG. Hard to say if you'd get a job either. Too many factors involved to answer those concerns.

You also have a ton of stereotypes and assumptions. I'm sure there are white black or latino people in the u.s. who might think everyone but them is having a great social life. I have a feeling that if you lived in SG, you'd probably say the same exact thing again - i.e. everyone but your own ethnicity/race is having a great time.

As far as I know, Asians in Seattle and Honolulu (like yourself) are in some of the best 'asian dating scenes' in the u.s., and if you are struggling there, its doubtful Singapore is going to do a full 180 for you. But, who knows, maybe it might... anyways, too many various factors at play...

But, in general, if you want to work and live abroad, it's best if you have an interest in the city and place. It seems like you have more of a 'social life need' fix. There are easier fixes than making a big move with the hopes of that changing. But if you are honestly interested in Singapore itself, it's a great place.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:56 AM

12,525 posts, read 18,625,227 times
Quote:

The facts that are relevant to you I think is that Singapore is extremely expensive. You don't move there, heck you don't make a decision to move anywhere, to improve your dating and social scene. That's just stupid. So first and foremost give yourself a reality check. I suspect the problems you have here will be the problems you have everywhere.

Plenty of expats live in Singapore, but they are set with well paid jobs, which you need to live at a level you are used to in the US. They are also adept at bringing in many transient workers for low paying jobs from neighboring southeast Asian countries. Unless you have serious skills you will be competing with them. Singapore is diverse, but that doesn't mean there still isn't a pecking order in the social scene.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:45 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,311,878 times
Quote:

Lived there a number of years. I would say that it is a very nice place to live IF you can afford it. A lifestyle equivalent to the US is very expensive and my biggest complaint was that it was not easy for me to save money there.

Having said that - the social scene was great. I could have gone out with friends - from all over the world - 4 nights-a-week. I think if you make a decent wage there and/or receive subsidized housing it is a great place to spend a couple of years.

Let me know if you want more specifics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or