U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 09-08-2017, 10:46 AM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,562 posts, read 2,644,001 times
Reputation: 2541

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Very true but China has isolated India which will now work with Japan so we'll see in the long run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-08-2017, 10:50 AM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,562 posts, read 2,644,001 times
Reputation: 2541
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Also https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blo...nvestment-slow
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 10:55 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
well, I didn't boast about China's rise, did I?

Plus, China has twice the economy of Japan and far faster growth. Simple math would do.

Japan will be wealthy for a very long time, but it is not "rising" anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 10:57 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Very true but China has isolated India which will now work with Japan so we'll see in the long run.
Maybe you are indian, which is why you think relationship with India is a big deal.

India is like 40 years behind China now but it pretends to be a real competitor. Compete when there are no humans hanging on the outside of the train.

You know why India won't be compete with China any time soon? Because it is a f*cking "democracy" before it is ready for that sh*t.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 12:46 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,562 posts, read 2,644,001 times
Reputation: 2541
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Maybe you are indian, which is why you think relationship with India is a big deal.

India is like 40 years behind China now but it pretends to be a real competitor. Compete when there are no humans hanging on the outside of the train.

You know why India won't be compete with China any time soon? Because it is a f*cking "democracy" before it is ready for that sh*t.
What I meant was a lot of potential investments into India's severely underdeveloped infrastructure will go to Japan rather than china which is the basis of economic influence.

As for your democracy statement I'll point out that countries have different forms of Governance based off of their history. China has always been a unitary country with an emperor and tightly controlled borders. India was made up more of city-states which divided cultures within its country by regions and created a population less inclined to follow their central government.

If India were to have the same system of governance as China it would not come with the same results because the merchant class and the different tribal groups within India wouldn't cooperate as easily as the Chinese did (and do) under communist rule.

A similar case can be made with my country (the US) which has a political culture of big buisness interest in our government. They were the ones in the 1800s who developed our railroads and general infrastructure (post FDR there was some influence of big government but the general mind set of America has remained the former).

Speaking of democracies they are not all the same, some are more authoritarian and have power centralized heavily within the government and give the people little control over the major decisions and some (like Iceland) are incredibly open to the input of its people.

I know you didn't accuse me of it but I will say even as an American I don't criticize China's form of politics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 01:10 PM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
What I meant was a lot of potential investments into India's severely underdeveloped infrastructure will go to Japan rather than china which is the basis of economic influence.

As for your democracy statement I'll point out that countries have different forms of Governance based off of their history. China has always been a unitary country with an emperor and tightly controlled borders. India was made up more of city-states which divided cultures within its country by regions and created a population less inclined to follow their central government.

If India were to have the same system of governance as China it would not come with the same results because the merchant class and the different tribal groups within India wouldn't cooperate as easily as the Chinese did (and do) under communist rule.

A similar case can be made with my country (the US) which has a political culture of big buisness interest in our government. They were the ones in the 1800s who developed our railroads and general infrastructure (post FDR there was some influence of big government but the general mind set of America has remained the former).

Speaking of democracies they are not all the same, some are more authoritarian and have power centralized heavily within the government and give the people little control over the major decisions and some (like Iceland) are incredibly open to the input of its people.

I know you didn't accuse me of it but I will say even as an American I don't criticize China's form of politics.
Great, I apologize for being snarky.

However, Japan is a very mature society and a very reserved culture. I think Japan has peaked a long time ago and will not go back to its previous glory. Yeah, Japan maybe investing in India, but China is investing (or "exploiting" according to many westerners) massively in central Asia, Africa and S America. I don't see any advantage enjoyed by Japan in that respect. Japan will remain very wealthy of course, something China on an average level may find very hard to match, but in terms of "economic influence", one would be naive to think Japan has the edge (just because western countries like it more? No, it is profit that talks eventually).

As to India, they can't even erase tariff among different regions, something China successfully did a few months after establishment of the country. And the fragmentation, religion conflict. They should wish they had an authoritarian government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 07:42 PM
 
Location: Canada
4,811 posts, read 4,433,356 times
Reputation: 3253
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Maybe you are indian, which is why you think relationship with India is a big deal.

India is like 40 years behind China now but it pretends to be a real competitor. Compete when there are no humans hanging on the outside of the train.

You know why India won't be compete with China any time soon? Because it is a f*cking "democracy" before it is ready for that sh*t.
Ouch!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-08-2017, 10:06 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,509 posts, read 3,092,720 times
Reputation: 3355
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Because it is a f*cking "democracy" before it is ready for that sh*t.
as he ironically lives in democratic canada instead of communist china....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2017, 04:21 AM
 
2,776 posts, read 1,011,797 times
Reputation: 1770
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
as he ironically lives in democratic canada instead of communist china....
I think he lives in France atm, but your point still stands.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-09-2017, 09:21 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Reputation: 7578
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
I think he lives in France atm, but your point still stands.
does it?

France of course has a higher quality of life than China today, but its wealth was not accumulated during the time it was "democratic", was it? You need to be careful about the underlying logic here. If China had democracy, it would be a lot poorer and less advanced today and that is my point (although on paper it would be part of the "free world") Whether I choose to live has nothing to do with under what government a country can grow faster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top