Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 02:23 PM

5,722 posts, read 5,798,075 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
The average Japanese rarely eats Sushi either.

Americans hardly know anything about Japan yet so many claim they adore Japan and its culture.
How do you know what we know?

Quote:
haha, where in the world do you expect adults to frequently watch anime? Trust me, it doesn't represent culture. I hope Americans stop thinking of this when they talk about Japanese culture.
Quote:
Samurai culture, hahaha. You are like soooo American. Oh sorry, Australian.

Pagodas originate from China (even the word Pagoda is Chinese). It is not a Japanese thing. Zen gardens are basically copied from Chinese Gardens of the Song dynasty. They are not Japanese "icons".

Ryokans are just hotels/B&Bs. What exactly can you learn from them? Maybe I can learn some American culture from the Marriott too. Just because it has a cool Japanese name doesn't make it more "cultural".

sumo wrestling, ok, you keep it. I have no interest in touching it
I don't get why you get so butthurt about this subject it's like Americans complaining about people in Asia liking Disney or something. Americans love when people in other countries like our things. Or is it some sort of a China vs Japan thing?

In general, and on average, Americans will always like Japan somewhat more than China that's just the reality of it. There's a moderately sized list of reasons for why that is.

China is still viewed as a very backwards, controlling, bullying, and unethical country with a culture that's extremely different than the U.S.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2017, 11:34 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I don't get why you get so butthurt about this subject it's like Americans complaining about people in Asia liking Disney or something. Americans love when people in other countries like our things. Or is it some sort of a China vs Japan thing?
That's a recurring theme in his post history.

Actually, I retract that. That's the only theme in his post history.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:51 AM

10,839 posts, read 14,718,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
How do you know what we know?

In general, and on average, Americans will always like Japan somewhat more than China that's just the reality of it. There's a moderately sized list of reasons for why that is.

China is still viewed as a very backwards, controlling, bullying, and unethical country with a culture that's extremely different than the U.S.
you talks as if everyone country desires or cares if the Americans like them or not... get over yourself. Controlling and bully, unethical? Haha, look at yourself in the mirror... backwards? Don't forget half of the US still adores Jesus. They are both backwards in different ways.

By the way, I like Japan too, want to visit again. just not based on stuff like manga/Samurai which plays zero role in Japanese life.

Old 09-15-2017, 04:44 AM

15,507 posts, read 6,427,922 times
Quote:
you talks as if everyone country desires or cares if the Americans like them or not... get over yourself. Controlling and bully, unethical? Haha, look at yourself in the mirror... backwards? Don't forget half of the US still adores Jesus. They are both backwards in different ways.

By the way, I like Japan too, want to visit again. just not based on stuff like manga/Samurai which plays zero role in Japanese life.
ehh???

Old 09-15-2017, 05:57 AM

5,428 posts, read 3,493,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
ehh???
That part is a bunch of nonsense. I get that Botticelli doesn't like anime or samurai's but to dismiss them as being entirely nonexistent aspects of Japanese culture is a load of bs, unless what he's trying to say is that most Japanese do not run into samurais in their daily life which is true.

I've already told him that most anime caters to the domestic market, so to claim that it targets Americans shows a lack of understanding about anime. The fact that Japan exports anime is no different to the US exporting Hollywood movies (both of which are part of their respective culture).

Old 09-15-2017, 08:11 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
That part is a bunch of nonsense. I get that Botticelli doesn't like anime or samurai's but to dismiss them as being entirely nonexistent aspects of Japanese culture is a load of bs, unless what he's trying to say is that most Japanese do not run into samurais in their daily life which is true.

I've already told him that most anime caters to the domestic market, so to claim that it targets Americans shows a lack of understanding about anime. The fact that Japan exports anime is no different to the US exporting Hollywood movies (both of which are part of their respective culture).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
ehh???
Ok I've been trying to avoid saying it, but honestly guys, you two are white, Botticelli is Asian. Therefore, pretty sure he knows a bit more about Japan than you give him credit for.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ok I've been trying to avoid saying it, but honestly guys, you two are white, Botticelli is Asian. Therefore, pretty sure he knows a bit more about Japan than you give him credit for.
Sorry but that's absurd. It's incredibly discriminating and ignorant to assume that a person has more knowledge towards a certain country based on skin colour. It's typical Asian xenophobic mentality.

Besides, Botticelli is an anti-Japan Chinese nationalist (despite his laughably unconvincing claims such as "I actually like Japan" or "nationalism is stupid"). It's like saying I would automatically be more knowledgeable about Vietnam just because I'm Asian or some random white hillbilly from Tennessee would automatically know more about France. It's pure nonsense. Please stop.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:42 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,924,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Sorry but that's absurd. It's incredibly discriminating and ignorant to assume that a person has more knowledge towards a certain country based on skin colour. It's typical Asian xenophobic mentality.

Besides, Botticelli is an anti-Japan Chinese nationalist (despite his laughably unconvincing claims such as "I actually like Japan" or "nationalism is stupid"). It's like saying I would automatically be more knowledgeable about Vietnam just because I'm Asian or some random white hillbilly from Tennessee would automatically know more about France. It's pure nonsense. Please stop.
Botticelli is FROM Asia, Is what I'm saying. He's not an ABC or whatever.

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 09-15-2017 at 08:52 AM..

Old 09-15-2017, 10:01 AM

16,553 posts, read 10,614,216 times
Quote:
I'm not Asian, nor do I play one on TV, but even I know that merely being "from Asia" is not a guarantee of being knowledgeable about all the diverse Asian cultures. That's like saying that someone from France must be knowledgeable about Albanian and Romanian cultures, because after all, they're all in Europe, right?

I don't know where Botticelli is from, so I do not know what his basis of knowledge is.

Old 09-15-2017, 12:43 PM

Quote:
And? That doesn't mean anything. I'm from Asia too. I'll never claim that I know Japan more than a white guy just because he's white and I'm Asian. That's such nonsense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia