U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-15-2017, 08:01 PM
 
2,781 posts, read 1,033,246 times
Reputation: 1778

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Ok I've been trying to avoid saying it, but honestly guys, you two are white, Botticelli is Asian. Therefore, pretty sure he knows a bit more about Japan than you give him credit for.
Botticelli is Chinese. Considering how vast Asia is, it's absurd to claim that a person being from one country gives them absolute knowledge over the whole continent. India is also part of Asia so I guess the next time I've got a question about it I should ask Botticelli. I guess Canadians are bound to know more about Argentina then anyone not from the Western Hemisphere.

The only reason I even got into a debate with him was because he was disputing the role of anime within Japanese culture. Like I said before, I don't object his dislike of anime, samurais or sumo wrestling but to dismiss them as nonexistent aspects of Japanese culture is absurd. In fact, I'm not even sure what he considers Japanese culture since he dismissed everything I wrote about it and hasn't gotten back to me yet. I gave some very pedestrian examples just to show immediately indentifiable aspects. I never once suggested that anime represented the extent of Japanese culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-15-2017, 11:30 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,554 posts, read 3,132,741 times
Reputation: 3381
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
That's a recurring theme in his post history.

Actually, I retract that. That's the only theme in his post history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Botticelli is FROM Asia, Is what I'm saying. He's not an ABC or whatever.
Botticelli is red han nationalist in Canada which technically makes him a FOB. This may be the cause of his Boxer Rebellion-like inferiority complex that cause the butthurt theme.

Even when you praise Chinese culture, he gets butthurt.

As for the Japanese, they also have a xenophobic center-kingdom mentality at least the older generation. Its was probably imported from Chinese Confucius culture. Confucius says obey!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 03:55 PM
F18
 
552 posts, read 391,350 times
Reputation: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
Botticelli is red han nationalist in Canada which technically makes him a FOB. This may be the cause of his Boxer Rebellion-like inferiority complex that cause the butthurt theme.

Even when you praise Chinese culture, he gets butthurt.

As for the Japanese, they also have a xenophobic center-kingdom mentality at least the older generation. Its was probably imported from Chinese Confucius culture. Confucius says obey!
Sounds like East Asia and the US have a lot in common then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-17-2017, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,808 posts, read 2,716,834 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Sounds like East Asia and the US have a lot in common then.
Americans aren't xenophobic, you are either an American who has never been to East Asia or Africa, or Europe for that matter and have no understanding of what real xenophobia is or you are someone who has never been to the US and just have vague knowledge based off of what the media tells you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 01:32 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,318,185 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Botticelli is Chinese. Considering how vast Asia is, it's absurd to claim that a person being from one country gives them absolute knowledge over the whole continent. India is also part of Asia so I guess the next time I've got a question about it I should ask Botticelli. I guess Canadians are bound to know more about Argentina then anyone not from the Western Hemisphere.

The only reason I even got into a debate with him was because he was disputing the role of anime within Japanese culture. Like I said before, I don't object his dislike of anime, samurais or sumo wrestling but to dismiss them as nonexistent aspects of Japanese culture is absurd. In fact, I'm not even sure what he considers Japanese culture since he dismissed everything I wrote about it and hasn't gotten back to me yet. I gave some very pedestrian examples just to show immediately indentifiable aspects. I never once suggested that anime represented the extent of Japanese culture.
I never said anime is "non-existent". It is like Hollywood/celebrity culture in the US, it is there, but it hardly is a crucial part that defines American culture because it really has nothing to do with 99.9% of American people's lives. And that's my point.

Foreigner tend to cling to a few stereotype "culture" they are familiar with, and act as if such a few tangible and superficial things represent a country. It is like many think France is all about fashion, foie gras, cheese and romance. How easy it is to understand France!

Ask any random Japanese if they give a damn about anime or samurai....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 01:56 AM
 
2,781 posts, read 1,033,246 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
I never said anime is "non-existent". It is like Hollywood/celebrity culture in the US, it is there, but it hardly is a crucial part that defines American culture because it really has nothing to do with 99.9% of American people's lives. And that's my point.
But Hollywood is a very tangible aspect of American culture. What do you mean by "has nothing to do with 99% of American people's lives"? If you're suggesting that most people are not affiliated with Hollywood then you're right. However, would you not agree that Hollywood is an important element of American soft power, just like anime is of Japanese? Both are also highly visible in their respective countries and cater to their domestic markets. The US accounts for about 30-40% of a movie's revenue and most anime does not even make it outside of Japan.

Quote:
Foreigner tend to cling to a few stereotype "culture" they are familiar with, and act as if such a few tangible and superficial things represent a country. It is like many think France is all about fashion, foie gras, cheese and romance. How easy it is to understand France!
That much I agree with. People tend to pigeonhole cultures into stereotypes that fit within their boundaries.

Quote:
Ask any random Japanese if they give a damn about anime or samurai....
I don't know how big the proportion is, but even if it's as low as 10-20%, it remains non-negligible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 05:55 AM
F18
 
552 posts, read 391,350 times
Reputation: 419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
Americans aren't xenophobic, you are either an American who has never been to East Asia or Africa, or Europe for that matter and have no understanding of what real xenophobia is or you are someone who has never been to the US and just have vague knowledge based off of what the media tells you.
Lol. You're so blind. No where in East Asia or in Europe anyone gets killed for your race or your origin. Besides there is nowhere where tensions and hate are so high within people of the same nationality. Unlike in the land of the brave and the free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 06:08 AM
 
Location: Manchester NH
9,808 posts, read 2,716,834 times
Reputation: 2610
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Lol. You're so blind. No where in East Asia or in Europe anyone gets killed for your race or your origin. Besides there is nowhere where tensions and hate are so high within people of the same nationality. Unlike in the land of the brave and the free.
The truth has escaped you friend, most small events are made huge by our media in a desperate attempt for ratings.

The reality is that the vast majority of blacks, whites, Latinos, etc. work together, make friends with each other, complain about taxes, watch sport games, and much more. Nowhere else in the world do you see such culture cohesion between groups as in the land of the free.

Asia doesn't have diversity and Europe is filled with racist who protest with swastikas and have the other races live in complete isolation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 06:22 AM
F18
 
552 posts, read 391,350 times
Reputation: 419
You just can't accept that the US is not as good as you think. There are thousands of places where races live togther side by side in peace. But of course you never left America so how would you know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-18-2017, 06:41 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,318,185 times
Reputation: 7587
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
Lol. You're so blind. No where in East Asia or in Europe anyone gets killed for your race or your origin. Besides there is nowhere where tensions and hate are so high within people of the same nationality. Unlike in the land of the brave and the free.
You are wrong.

If you are talking about black people being killed, for every black American killed by a white guy, 100 is killed by another black American. So essentially you are essentially staying black Americans hate each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top