U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2018, 12:42 AM

31 posts, read 13,976 times

Advertisements

Yes, Thailand is one of the Hottest Destination's in Asia. The Must visit places in Thailand are:
1. Bangkok. (City Tour)
2. Pattaya. (Coral-Island is Must Visit).
3. Phuket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2018, 09:51 PM

4,817 posts, read 4,456,857 times
Are there still remote parts of thailand that doesn't recieve much tourism?

Old 07-20-2018, 08:33 AM

4,342 posts, read 2,275,885 times
Great place but IMHO - absolutely not. Probably every nearby country is more exotic these days. Esp Burma/Myanmar.

Old 07-20-2018, 01:29 PM

4,912 posts, read 3,405,536 times
In a world where almost every country around the globe is so thoroughly westernized and homogenized I suppose there might be some areas that might still be considered exotic. Iím not sure where they are located.

Old 07-24-2018, 07:17 PM

6,105 posts, read 1,844,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Is Thailand the most exotic and "hottest" destination in Asia right now?
Yes. Thailand is very hard to beat in any aspect. You have multiple tourist and ex-pay destination cities all in one country. Bangkok, Phuket, Pattaya, Chang Mai, and countless islands

Old 07-25-2018, 12:29 PM

5,098 posts, read 8,081,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLuis View Post
Are there still remote parts of thailand that doesn't recieve much tourism?
It depends on what you mean by "remote parts". You won't find throngs of foreign tourists in most of the rural areas (villages) throughout Thailand. These are primarily residential communities of Thai people with little in the way of features and interest for the average tourist. You won't find much English spoken there either.

Some of the most remote people in Thailand are the Mlabri also known as Pee tong luang (Spirits of the Yellow Leaves), located in the North. Their homes are shelters made of banana leaves. When the leaves turned yellow, it was time to move. They are primarily small tribes nomadic hunter-gatherers located in the forests of Nan and Phrae provinces in Thailand and parts of Laos, although their culture is rapidly dwindling due to the increase of tourists. They tended to live naked, but now often wear clothes such as tee-shirts, etc. Unfortunately, most of their young people tend to move into villages and cities where they can earn money and buy more common products and goods. There are only a few hundred of these people left. Not too long ago, they were so remote and seldom came into contact with other villages that they were considered to be a legend.
https://www.travelfish.org/beginners_detail/thailand/82
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mlabri_people

In the southern part of Thailand and the northern border of Malaysia is a tribe called the Orang Asli or Semang who are also primarily forest dwellers, but they too have mostly lost their culture due to contact with people from villages as well as occasional tourists.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orang_Asli
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semang
https://asianinspirations.com.au/asi...le-of-malaysia

Old 07-25-2018, 05:06 PM

3,632 posts, read 1,641,866 times
Bangkok is fun. It's easy to get around and if you speak English you're fine. I got a kick at being bowed to going to restaurants and stuff. There's live fights that involve skill. Live music was good, but that could be a one-off. The thousand hand dance thing is pretty cool. Traffic wasn't bad, especially since the taxis are on meters. The entire theater stood up for pictures of their King right before the picture. I'd never seen solidarity in a leader like that before. The Palace is cool, the malls are great and the service everywhere is off the charts. Except in pricing. Getting the farang price so blatantly got old. I mean, even in the airport, standing with a listed price for a drink and I had no more money left and the lady wouldn't sell it to me for the listed price. Another expat gave me the money I was short. I think the river smells bad, so I was amazed by how many restaurants were next to it, but frankly, it was so dang hot and humid every visit, I probably smelled bad 15 minutes after a shower.

Still, some of the cleanest books I audited were there...so that's kindof exotic compared to other countries. Sadly I never got a chance to leave BKK for the rest of the country, but hope to return someday for fun.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:21 AM

31 posts, read 13,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
It depends on what you mean by "remote parts". You won't find throngs of foreign tourists in most of the rural areas (villages) throughout Thailand. These are primarily residential communities of Thai people with little in the way of features and interest for the average tourist. You won't find much English spoken there either.

Some of the most remote people in Thailand are the Mlabri also known as Pee tong luang (Spirits of the Yellow Leaves), located in the North. Their homes are shelters made of banana leaves. When the leaves turned yellow, it was time to move. They are primarily small tribes nomadic hunter-gatherers located in the forests of Nan and Phrae provinces in Thailand and parts of Laos, although their culture is rapidly dwindling due to the increase of tourists. They tended to live naked, but now often wear clothes such as tee-shirts, etc. Unfortunately, most of their young people tend to move into villages and cities where they can earn money and buy more common products and goods. There are only a few hundred of these people left. Not too long ago, they were so remote and seldom came into contact with other villages that they were considered to be a legend.
https://www.travelfish.org/beginners_detail/thailand/82
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mlabri_people

In the southern part of Thailand and the northern border of Malaysia is a tribe called the Orang Asli or Semang who are also primarily forest dwellers, but they too have mostly lost their culture due to contact with people from villages as well as occasional tourists.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orang_Asli
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Semang
https://asianinspirations.com.au/asi...le-of-malaysia
I think you provide the information extensively. Thanks for the research

Old 08-29-2018, 04:38 AM

15,954 posts, read 36,230,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by himajateki View Post
Yes, Thailand is one of the Hottest Destination's in Asia. The Must visit places in Thailand are:
1. Bangkok. (City Tour)
2. Pattaya. (Coral-Island is Must Visit).
3. Phuket.
This was the same list 25 years ago.

I went to the Thailand 25 years ago, and those and about ten others were on the list. Even 25 years ago, it was terrible how many foreigners/tourists were on every single bus as you went back and forth to different places. I seldom saw a Thai Person. (Now when I go to Thailand, I just avoid those lists, and try to find corners of BKK instead).

I think they were hot as far back as the 1970s, definitely in the 1980s, and way saturated in the 1990s. 2018 it's like the same person's grandkids are going to see the same things, and get the same tie-die t-shirts in the same stands in the same ko sahn road.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:28 PM

5,098 posts, read 8,081,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
This was the same list 25 years ago.

I went to the Thailand 25 years ago, and those and about ten others were on the list. Even 25 years ago, it was terrible how many foreigners/tourists were on every single bus as you went back and forth to different places. I seldom saw a Thai Person. (Now when I go to Thailand, I just avoid those lists, and try to find corners of BKK instead).
Thanks for your post. I got a smile from it. With respect to Bangkok, I was there 25 years ago. I had a number of Thai friends and knew a few expats, and was invited to speak to a class of students at Chulalongkorn University. The latter was in connection with the English Language Institute of Oregon State University.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I think they were hot as far back as the 1970s, definitely in the 1980s, and way saturated in the 1990s. 2018 it's like the same person's grandkids are going to see the same things, and get the same tie-die t-shirts in the same stands in the same ko sahn road.
In the early 1970s, there wasn't that much in the way of tourism, although tourism was getting a start. Tourists at that time were dominated mostly by North Americans, but the Japanese overtook that with the largest number of tourists in Thailand.

In the early 1990s, the Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) was heavily promoting the country for tourism. I took advantage of that at the time. The TAT had an arrangement with Thai Airways International with low r/t airfare prices. I flew r/t from LA to BKK on Thai Airways International for $500. I'm sure you recall that the airport at Don Muang was the only international airport in Bangkok well before the Suvarnabhumi airport (Camp Swampy) opened which was in 2006.
Trends - Diversified Tourism in Thailand
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Mu...tional_Airport
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suvarnabhumi_Airport

While the various locations, as mentioned, were considered major destinations (and still are) for tourists to Thailand back in the '90s, Bangkok was relatively different then than it is now. There's much that "grandkids" will never know about from their own personal experience, not that that's a bad thing. For one thing, the number of high rises in Bangkok were much fewer than there are today. Also, there were no skytrains in Bangkok back in the early 1990s. You could actually see the sky. While there were plenty of tourists in Bangkok, it wasn't anything like it is now. Prices were much lower back then as well, although that was relative due to different economies. A visit to the Grand Palace was about 50 baht. Today, it's around 500 baht. Overall, Thailand was still an amazing bargain. After the big economic crunch in 1997, the currency exchange rate was amazing. The country required a bailout from the International Monetary Fund. Since then, it has perked up pretty well, the exchange rates improved and prices have risen. IMO, it's still a pretty good bargain for your money though. And the country's tourism has diversified quite a bit.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1997_A...risis#Thailand

Although I'm quite familiar with the Khao San Road area, I've never spent any time there. It had been long known as a backpackers hangout with budget-priced accommodations some of which were pretty shabby. Most of my stays in Bangkok were in the Sukhumvit Road business district. That was some time ago. I tend to head for Saraburi, Ayutthaya Sukhothai, and Chiang Mai.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia