U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2017, 12:00 AM

298 posts, read 188,149 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post

I think these numbers support my thesis, namely that America is a much more attractive destination for South Koreans than South Korea is for Americans.
Of course. That's what it boils down to. South Korea is a small country in East Asia. Not that many people learn Korean or about Korean culture. People the world over learn English and about America. It's like asking why are there so many more Polish in America than vice versa.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2017, 01:08 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,253,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Anyone who moves to the United States can become AMERICAN and all of the rights.
Dear lord, what world are you living in.

Many of my Chinese friends, and myself, gave up staying in the US (after MS/PhD) because it is so damn hard and frustrating to get a green card (so that you can work for anyone you want).

Many had the patience and did it, after 6-10 years of waiting, during which time they can't lose their job and can't even change jobs. I just did't think it is worth it.

Old 08-29-2017, 11:22 PM

6,773 posts, read 5,116,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSrights View Post
South Korea or most countries nearby are not really tough places to live for many white people from developed countries. Most of them have different jobs, income, usual languages, lifestyles and social cricles from the local asian people. The way to avoid the negative side of living in a new country is not to assimilate. For example, English speaking foreigners or overseas asians will easily lose their English fluency if they assimilate too mich into the local cultures.
They are probably not hell per se, but certainly not appealing enough for Americans and other foreigners to go in droves.

Quote:
Japan and Taiwan are as 'hell' as South Korea, and obviously not many Japanese want to move abroad.
Japan is the only exception because they developed much earlier. Taiwan is arguably more hell than Korea is. At least on the same level of hell.

Quote:
Most EU citizens don't prefer the US. EU has the healthcare and there are SOME EU countries without long working hours and the tradition to study hard for exams.
I meant European countries are immigrant magnets like America is. At least the well-off ones like Germany. Probably not so much for the likes of Italy.

Quote:
Also, there are Korean Americans moving back to South Korea. It is now two directions migration.
Not even close to the amount of Koreans trying to move to America. There are 2 million Korean-Americans in the US, and barely 150k Americans in Korea.

Old 09-05-2017, 04:34 PM

6,473 posts, read 13,943,434 times
Same reason everyone else came here I'd guess. There are a ton of Koreans in my city as well. Lots of people come to the USA because the universities are prestigious. Many come to make $$. Based on my knowledge of SK (Seoul) and some other places (cairo, mex city), the air pollution is AWFUL...so I'm assuming some of them come here for an improved quality of life.

There are also the big houses and cars you can get in America:
[instiz] AVERAGE AMERICAN WORKING CLASS PEOPLE'S HOUSES ~ pann
The irony is that many immigrants still come to expensive places like Miami, Los Angeles and New York City.

Lots of them get stuck there, but many people overseas don't really buy that (thanks to Hollywood?). In Korea, there is some sort of caste system, and it is really hard to "get ahead" for regular people. Here anyone can have a chance.

Some immigrants end up wasting their health working like dogs and then make sure their kids get an education with a high-paying job. Back home, only rich people can send their kids to US universities and have them in prestigious professions. So even if you have had an awful life in the US, you can at least throw your fabulous kids achievement's back in the face of your ex compatriots. Many immigrants do this.

One other benefit for Korean immigrants is the totalization agreement the USA has with SK: https://www.ssa.gov/international/Ag...ets/korea.html I'm not sure how this may exactly benefit people, but it may make it easier to decide to move to the USA.

Old 09-06-2017, 10:14 PM

298 posts, read 188,149 times
you could replace south korea with pretty much any country in this question and you would get the same answers.

why are there so many more italians in america than americans in italy?

why are there so many more guyanese in america than americans in guyana?

why are there so many more brazilians in america than americans in brazil?

why are there so many more chinese in america than americans in china?

why are there so many more canadians in america than americans in canada?

why are there so many more polish in america than americans in poland?

why are there so many more guatemalans in american than americans in guatemala?

is there any other country in the world that has as big of an imbalance between immigrants and emigrants as the USA? which makes me wonder what the point of this question is.

Old 09-07-2017, 05:11 AM

102 posts, read 48,375 times
Not sure about the rest, but for these two, the answer is simple. China and Canada's visa policies don't allow most ordinary foreigners to move into the country easily. The ease or difficulty to get a visa to live in a new country is the main hurdle for many people dreaming to move to a new country. Immigration policies of governments are more important than cultures, people's acceptance of immigrants, economy, safety and climates.

The US green card is actually easier to get than the visas to move to many other countries.

Many other countries are strict on illegal immigrants, unlike the US, most overstayers are detained and expelled quickly when found.

The US , with a rather long and open immigrant tradition and policy, and is the largest developed country in economy, population and area, this explains it has the most immigrants and the most illegal immigrants in the world.

China does not attract as much people as the US as a developing country. South Korea has to face North Korea since Korean War and the economy did not become really developed before this century. The US seemed to be better place to live and work in comparison before this century.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesRamon View Post
you could replace south korea with pretty much any country in this question and you would get the same answers.
why are there so many more chinese in america than americans in china?

why are there so many more canadians in america than americans in canada?

is there any other country in the world that has as big of an imbalance between immigrants and emigrants as the USA? which makes me wonder what the point of this question is.

Last edited by HSrights; 09-07-2017 at 05:20 AM..

Old 09-13-2017, 01:57 AM

1 posts, read 407 times
Default Why are there so many more South Koreans in America than Americans in South Korea?

While reunification may be the stated goal of the DPRK, I'm not entirely it is Kim Jong-un's main one. At least not in the short term, or perhaps even during his lifetime.

For all his ruthlessness, he seems to be at least considering some economic reforms to strengthen the country; turning away from the absolutely failed policies of his father.

I think the nuclear program may be his way of trying to force some concessions to aid that reform. He wants to remain in control, but he's gonna need the outside world in order to improve his country at all.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 09-13-2017 at 02:22 AM.. Reason: New posters are not allowed to post links

Old 09-13-2017, 12:15 PM

6,724 posts, read 6,599,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSrights View Post
China does not attract as much people as the US as a developing country. South Korea has to face North Korea since Korean War and the economy did not become really developed before this century. The US seemed to be better place to live and work in comparison before this century.
In fact many foreigners stay and/or work in China illegally. Years ago, an African in Guangzhou jumped out of the window and died when the police broke in to check his visa, which triggered a big protest from the African community in Guangzhou.

Even many westerners, especially Americans work in China illegally. They often enter China with a tourist or student visa, but end up teaching English to make money, which is illegal. Usually the Chinese authority does not bother to check them.

China also has a large number of illegal immigrants from North Korea and Vietnam. Some refugees from the Middle East and Southeast Asia also stay in China.

Of course, it is nothing comparable to the US. However China actually takes in more illegal immigrants and refugees than many smaller western countries.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:24 PM

653 posts, read 581,409 times
There's a big crackdown on illegal foreigners in China now these days, and there should be. Anyone entering or staying in any country illegally should be held accountable for his/her actions. That includes China, the U.S. and any country. Every country has laws, and if you break those laws, you should be dealt with based on the law, but also in a humane way. Lots of foreigners, including North Americans and Western Euro's get a short jail sentence and then deported in China. That being said, many foreigners still teach English or work here illegally and its rather challenging for the authorities to control the problem. Its a new problem for China, and I believe they need time to understand the matter better.

As for Koreans in the U.S., man there are so many. A couple of towns over from where I grew up in New Jersey, Palisades Park, its like a small city in Korea. Lots of store and business signs in Korean and so on. I welcome it, but yes esp on the east and west coasts, you have a tremendous amount of Koreans, many very well off.

Old 09-15-2017, 06:21 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,517,237 times
Growth of their corporations such as Hyundai, LG, Samsung has also increased Korean diaspora in the US and many countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or