U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2017, 09:50 PM

661 posts, read 585,733 times

Advertisements

LOL Yeah I agree. Many people will always defend their hometowns, and also some people have spend more time in a specific area. I just don't understand some Chinese (usually from Jiangsu/Zhejiang/Shanghai...ie like my wife) ****ting always on Guangdong. Guangdong (ie Canton or Cantonese people) actually has a very strong culture and one that is very different from other parts of China. Guangdong does however have lots of extremes, like Guangzhou, Foshan, Zhanjiang and other cities that have a very strong history and culture. That being said, Guangdong can be rather undeveloped and dangerous, so I think lots of non-Guangdong Chinese focus more on the negatives. Plus, many Mainland Chinese cannot understand the social aspect whereas Guangdong people (do to history and being near Hong Kong) have much more Western mannerisms and understanding of other people and culture. A much better understanding then people in Jiangsu, and especially in Zhejiang where its lots of uneducated people who's family were peasants but became wealthy today.

Botticelli, yeah, there is no culture in Shenzhen....lol. That I agree.,.

Anyway,China, its a beautiful and fascinating country, and although challenging to live in, is still a great place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2017, 02:12 PM

22,158 posts, read 23,691,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
LOL Yeah I agree. Many people will always defend their hometowns, and also some people have spend more time in a specific area. I just don't understand some Chinese (usually from Jiangsu/Zhejiang/Shanghai...ie like my wife) ****ting always on Guangdong. Guangdong (ie Canton or Cantonese people) actually has a very strong culture and one that is very different from other parts of China. Guangdong does however have lots of extremes, like Guangzhou, Foshan, Zhanjiang and other cities that have a very strong history and culture. That being said, Guangdong can be rather undeveloped and dangerous, so I think lots of non-Guangdong Chinese focus more on the negatives. Plus, many Mainland Chinese cannot understand the social aspect whereas Guangdong people (do to history and being near Hong Kong) have much more Western mannerisms and understanding of other people and culture. A much better understanding then people in Jiangsu, and especially in Zhejiang where its lots of uneducated people who's family were peasants but became wealthy today.

Anyway,China, its a beautiful and fascinating country, and although challenging to live in, is still a great place.
Yea, people in the Wu areas can really get their hate on whether it's towards Guangdong or elsewhere in China. It's pretty funny though, especially to hear some real old school Shanghainese going all out about gang-bu-nings.

Old 09-03-2017, 06:42 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,273,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Woo View Post
but how to explain there are 16 Province- level poor counties in Northern Jiangsu?
if u think Jiangsu is advanced than Canton as Canton has more poor counties. but why u deliberately ignore the truth that Zhejiang has no poor countie? Zhejiang has higher capita disposable income than Jiangsu and Canton, even Tianjin. why double standard?

when the advanced part of Canton(Zhujiang delta) compare Jiangsu (southern part), absolutely Canton wins. because Canton has two first tier cities(Guangzhou and Shenzhen). if Shanghai was still a part of Jiangsu. Jiangsu wins.
Jiangsu has no counties of poverty. In fact it is the first province to get rid of them. get your fact straight before arguing with me. Jiangsu is the only province where all cities ranks top 100 nationalwide.

Old 09-03-2017, 08:58 AM

117 posts, read 64,335 times
Quote:
... Guangdong (ie Canton or Cantonese people) actually has a very strong culture and one that is very different from other parts of China. Guangdong does however have lots of extremes, like Guangzhou, Foshan, Zhanjiang and other cities that have a very strong history and culture. That being said, Guangdong can be rather undeveloped and dangerous, so I think lots of non-Guangdong Chine....
Yeah, Guangdong province is very rich in culture just like other parts of China, although I like Jiangsu culturally much more than the others, but that is my preference.

My tourist guide told me that people in Jiangsu become wealth mainly to very high demand for their highly prized very finest tea leave crops grown there each year. It can't be cultivated and replaced by other provinces in China due to climate and temperature issues. The market force pushes their tea leave prices to couple hundred US dollar for couple ounces. Most people there live in big mansions.

Shanghai is not really belong to Jiangsu because it is a major national financial hub. Majority of people are not really from Jiangsu area, but from other provinces. I know a lot of Cantonese people working there.

On industrial scale, they can't compete against Guangdong province. There are hundred millions of people flock to Guangdong to work in factories and tech hubs in Shenzhen and other places each year.

The Pearl River Delta in Guangdong is fast becoming the largest mega-city in the world. It is much larger and denser than the Tokyo metropolitan area. The region has around 50 millions people now. They are building high speed train interconnected each others in a loop. Travel time in a loop is no more than one hour or two. Probably, it will become very highly developed like Tokyo metropolitan area in the near future.

Old 09-03-2017, 10:42 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,644,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
Yeah, Guangdong province is very rich in culture just like other parts of China, although I like Jiangsu culturally much more than the others, but that is my preference.

My tourist guide told me that people in Jiangsu become wealth mainly to very high demand for their highly prized very finest tea leave crops grown there each year. It can't be cultivated and replaced by other provinces in China due to climate and temperature issues. The market force pushes their tea leave prices to couple hundred US dollar for couple ounces. Most people there live in big mansions.

Shanghai is not really belong to Jiangsu because it is a major national financial hub. Majority of people are not really from Jiangsu area, but from other provinces. I know a lot of Cantonese people working there.

On industrial scale, they can't compete against Guangdong province. There are hundred millions of people flock to Guangdong to work in factories and tech hubs in Shenzhen and other places each year.

The Pearl River Delta in Guangdong is fast becoming the largest mega-city in the world. It is much larger and denser than the Tokyo metropolitan area. The region has around 50 millions people now. They are building high speed train interconnected each others in a loop. Travel time in a loop is no more than one hour or two. Probably, it will become very highly developed like Tokyo metropolitan area in the near future.
One of my businesses in the US is selling Chinese tea, and most of it comes from Jiangsu, we also get tea from a few other places, mostly Hainan.

Shenzhen is already considered the Silicon Valley of China and I see that expanding. I do think the Shenzhen metro area will become the wealthiest part of China eventually, or one of the 3 richest after Shanghai and Beijing, and has the best chance of becoming similar to Tokyo in that regard. That said, I don't think it will modernize that quickly, probably not in our lifetime. Once they hit a certain point, the manufacturers will no longer be able to afford to stay in Shenzhen, and it will transform into a tech/design hub. When that starts to happen, economic growth is going to slow considerably. Just like what happened to Hong Kong. Hong Kong was different because it was never a tech hub, it was a manufacturing and financial center. Nowadays it is mostly focused on finance and trade. Shenzhen will be second to Hong Kong in finance for the foreseeable future, but tech is their game. Shenzhen will mirror the Bay Area in the US a lot Imo. It's going to have a significantly different culture then the rest of China.

Old 09-03-2017, 07:21 PM

Great conversations all around. Interesting comments made by all.

@OyCrumbler.....lol Yeah the Shanghainese think they are the bomb in China. Nobody is ever on the same level as the Shanghainese, yet many of them still walk around the streets in their pajamas in the morning.....haha.

I don't know about Jiangsu farming and tea cultivation and who/how people earned their money, but I do know many Zhejiang people became wealthy do to the government and other businesses buying up their valuable land.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:43 PM

1,806 posts, read 809,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Until it formally declares independence and no longer considered a province of both PRC and ROC, the most advanced is Taiwan.
Yes, Taiwan is more advanced than any other province.

Old 09-03-2017, 11:55 PM

1,806 posts, read 809,379 times
Quote:

Cantonese culture is as strong as Puerto Rico culture.

The problem is, Cantonese culture is quite distant from mainstream Chinese culture. But do they have a bad reputation? No, at least everybody loves Cantonese cuisine. I haven't met many people who hate Guangdong, but culture wise it's not the mainstream.

What's the "western mannerism" BS you are talking about? It's totally beyond me, lol.

From what I've observed, Guangdong is a very patriotic province, Cantonese people are keen on preserving Cantonese culture as well as mainstream Chinese traditions. On the other end of the spectrum, Beijing residents are the most cynical people when it comes to national identity, traditional culture and politics.

People from Henan have the worst reputation.

Old 09-04-2017, 02:45 AM

Have you lived and worked/studied in Guangdong and then another province? Do you speak with locals and/or observe the people and the huge differences between people in Guangdong and people in say Zhejiang, Jiangsu or even Beijing and Shanghai?

Its the little things, like people in Guangdong don't yell and scream in the streets, in restaurants/hotels when they don't get their way( like in Shanghai). People in the south wait on lines, they wait for the elevator doors to open before entering. Ever been to a local Chinese restaurants in Guangdong versus other parts of China? The service is miles better in Guangdong then in other parts. In Shanghai (Most of the waiters are not locals, but people from Anhui or the surrounding provinces) the restaurant or hotel people don't even want to wait on you. Ever ask directions on the street from someone in Hangzhou or Shanghai? Not all, but many people couldn't care to even point you in the right direction. At least the people in Guangdong will reply verbally back to you and somewhat help or somewhat care.

Its not much, but its the little things. 16 years of living in two of the largest parts of China, fluent in Mandarin, has taught me that their certainly are different cultures within China and how different they really are. Living in Shanghai and Zhejiang, I would have never thought their was a difference in Guangdong and its people and culture, but after living down here for 6 years, I easily can tell, as does my wife.

Old 09-04-2017, 08:55 AM

22,158 posts, read 23,691,169 times
Quote:
Have you lived and worked/studied in Guangdong and then another province? Do you speak with locals and/or observe the people and the huge differences between people in Guangdong and people in say Zhejiang, Jiangsu or even Beijing and Shanghai?

Its the little things, like people in Guangdong don't yell and scream in the streets, in restaurants/hotels when they don't get their way( like in Shanghai). People in the south wait on lines, they wait for the elevator doors to open before entering. Ever been to a local Chinese restaurants in Guangdong versus other parts of China? The service is miles better in Guangdong then in other parts. In Shanghai (Most of the waiters are not locals, but people from Anhui or the surrounding provinces) the restaurant or hotel people don't even want to wait on you. Ever ask directions on the street from someone in Hangzhou or Shanghai? Not all, but many people couldn't care to even point you in the right direction. At least the people in Guangdong will reply verbally back to you and somewhat help or somewhat care.

Its not much, but its the little things. 16 years of living in two of the largest parts of China, fluent in Mandarin, has taught me that their certainly are different cultures within China and how different they really are. Living in Shanghai and Zhejiang, I would have never thought their was a difference in Guangdong and its people and culture, but after living down here for 6 years, I easily can tell, as does my wife.
I completely agree that there's a large difference among different parts of China including when it comes to etiquette and manners. The only part I think is inconclusive is the idea that being nicer and more hospitable is that much of a Western influence thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or