U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 12:34 PM

47 posts, read 26,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Jiangsu has no counties of poverty. In fact it is the first province to get rid of them. get your fact straight before arguing with me. Jiangsu is the only province where all cities ranks top 100 nationalwide.
so why cant u just Baidu the 16 poor counties?it will not cost u much time?

江苏省级贫困县16个
淮安市:盱眙、淮阴区(not a county)、涟水
徐州:丰县、睢宁
盐城:滨海、阜宁、响水
宿迁:沭阳、宿豫、泗洪、泗阳
连云港:灌南、灌云、东海、赣榆
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 07:30 PM

655 posts, read 582,522 times
Yes, I think Western influence is one of the main reasons, hence Hong Kong influencing Guangdong and its people.

Old 09-06-2017, 11:42 AM

1,011 posts, read 628,280 times
How can people be such ill informed?
are you truly believing that the prosperity of Jiangsu, which as 80 million people,
depends on overpriced tea leaves?
Throughout ancient history, Jiangsu is most prosperous part of China. In Qing Dynasty,
it accounts for about 30 percent of total national revenue

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
Yeah, Guangdong province is very rich in culture just like other parts of China, although I like Jiangsu culturally much more than the others, but that is my preference.

My tourist guide told me that people in Jiangsu become wealth mainly to very high demand for their highly prized very finest tea leave crops grown there each year. It can't be cultivated and replaced by other provinces in China due to climate and temperature issues. The market force pushes their tea leave prices to couple hundred US dollar for couple ounces. Most people there live in big mansions.

Shanghai is not really belong to Jiangsu because it is a major national financial hub. Majority of people are not really from Jiangsu area, but from other provinces. I know a lot of Cantonese people working there.

On industrial scale, they can't compete against Guangdong province. There are hundred millions of people flock to Guangdong to work in factories and tech hubs in Shenzhen and other places each year.

The Pearl River Delta in Guangdong is fast becoming the largest mega-city in the world. It is much larger and denser than the Tokyo metropolitan area. The region has around 50 millions people now. They are building high speed train interconnected each others in a loop. Travel time in a loop is no more than one hour or two. Probably, it will become very highly developed like Tokyo metropolitan area in the near future.

Old 09-06-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
are you truly believing that the prosperity of Jiangsu, which as 80 million people,
Throughout ancient history, Jiangsu is most prosperous part of China. In Qing Dynasty,
in Qing dynasty, Jiangnan Province contribute 1/3 total gdp of the natio. while Jiangnan Province consists of Anhui Province, Jiangsu Province and Shanghai municipality.
at that time, Shanghai and southern Jiangsu cities play important roles. meanwhile. northern jiangsu cities r extremely poor. the beggars and robbers from Gangbu(northern part of Jiangsu) flooded into cities around Taihu Lake(Suxichang Hu Hangjiahu). our ancestors here despised them and called them Gangbuning. adults forbidded children to get along with them even ten years before.

at that time. the north part of Zhejiang is very as rich as southern Jiangsu.
all in all. Although Jiangnan Province achieve . lot in Qing Dynasty, the northern Jiangsu was still very poor.

Old 09-06-2017, 01:39 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,258,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Woo View Post
so why cant u just Baidu the 16 poor counties?it will not cost u much time?

江苏省级贫困县16个
淮安市:盱眙、淮阴区(not a county)、涟水
徐州:丰县、睢宁
盐城:滨海、阜宁、响水
宿迁:沭阳、宿豫、泗洪、泗阳
连云港:灌南、灌云、东海、赣榆
Oh God you don't seem to understand those stats. What you quoted are province level poor counties, namely those considered poor by Jiamgsu Province.

This is national level
https://zh.m.wikipedia.org/zh-hans/%...9B%B0%E5%8E%BF

Old 09-06-2017, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Woo View Post
in Qing dynasty, Jiangnan Province contribute 1/3 total gdp of the natio. while Jiangnan Province consists of Anhui Province, Jiangsu Province and Shanghai municipality.
at that time, Shanghai and southern Jiangsu cities play important roles. meanwhile. northern jiangsu cities r extremely poor. the beggars and robbers from Gangbu(northern part of Jiangsu) flooded into cities around Taihu Lake(Suxichang Hu Hangjiahu). our ancestors here despised them and called them Gangbuning. adults forbidded children to get along with them even ten years before.

at that time. the north part of Zhejiang is very as rich as southern Jiangsu.
all in all. Although Jiangnan Province achieve . lot in Qing Dynasty, the northern Jiangsu was still very poor.
You still didn't define "very poor".
North jiangsu is poor by Shanghai /south jiangsu standards. But not by national or Guamgdong standard. Very few areas in China nowadays can call north Jiangsu "very poor".

Old 09-06-2017, 07:44 PM

117 posts, read 64,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gen2010 View Post
That was what my tourist guide had told me. He was from Hangzhou. He was a licensed tourist guide in China. He said he passed couple exams about China history as required by the government in order to get his license. I believed they were comprehensive and very hard exam. His native dialect was Hangzhouese, but he said he understood Suzhou dialect, which he couldn't speak. I remembered when we drove passing through Suzhou to Shanghai. He pointed to big mansions village after village. He said the MAIN reason why Jiangsu became wealth is MAINLY due to very expensive tea leaves crop. He said Jiangsu area is the most fertile land in China. Most conflicts happened in China because people from other places constantly fight to control this land. The Jiangsu people have never worried about starving. Their lands can feed them forever if it is not mismanaged.

Of course this was not the only one, but this is the MAJOR one. There are other reasons too such as having to do the acumen business skills and intellectuals of Jiangsu people. A lot of billionaires (e.g.Jack Ma)in China were coming from this area. I think tea leaves cash crop have a trickle down effect on Jiangsu people from top to bottom. It enables people there to have capital to invest in their futures and business e.g. going to schools, open their own shops. That is why they become so wealthy. Whereas some other provinces are not as lucky, they barely have enough to eat let alone having money invest in their future.

Culturally, I think Jiangsu is great and very influential. When I was in Japan this summer, I visited a Buddhist temple that was the oldest one in Japan. The monk who built it was from Suzhou, Jiangsu. It was built a thousand years ago I believe if I am not mistaken. He was deeply revered as an earliest Zen master by all Japanese people and still is now. It is one of the most popular attractions in Japan.

Last edited by davidmun; 09-06-2017 at 08:24 PM..

Old 09-07-2017, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
That was what my tourist guide had told me. He was from Hangzhou. He was a licensed tourist guide in China. He said he passed couple exams about China history as required by the government in order to get his license. I believed they were comprehensive and very hard exam. His native dialect was Hangzhouese, but he said he understood Suzhou dialect, which he couldn't speak. I remembered when we drove passing through Suzhou to Shanghai. He pointed to big mansions village after village. He said the MAIN reason why Jiangsu became wealth is MAINLY due to very expensive tea leaves crop. He said Jiangsu area is the most fertile land in China. Most conflicts happened in China because people from other places constantly fight to control this land. The Jiangsu people have never worried about starving. Their lands can feed them forever if it is not mismanaged.

Of course this was not the only one, but this is the MAJOR one. There are other reasons too such as having to do the acumen business skills and intellectuals of Jiangsu people. A lot of billionaires (e.g.Jack Ma)in China were coming from this area. I think tea leaves cash crop have a trickle down effect on Jiangsu people from top to bottom. It enables people there to have capital to invest in their futures and business e.g. going to schools, open their own shops. That is why they become so wealthy. Whereas some other provinces are not as lucky, they barely have enough to eat let alone having money invest in their future.

Culturally, I think Jiangsu is great and very influential. When I was in Japan this summer, I visited a Buddhist temple that was the oldest one in Japan. The monk who built it was from Suzhou, Jiangsu. It was built a thousand years ago I believe if I am not mistaken. He was deeply revered as an earliest Zen master by all Japanese people and still is now. It is one of the most popular attractions in Japan.
you must mean Wu (southern Jiangsu, Northern Zhejiang and Shanghai). people here speak Wu chinese and practice Wu Culture. while people in the northern Jiangsu are Huainess. we are different people! Wu is great but that not means Jiangsu is. bc the northern Jiangsu is another world.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:11 PM

110 posts, read 113,605 times
Tibet, the most advanced in spiritual sphere.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qazz12 View Post
Tibet, the most advanced in spiritual sphere.
Have you actually being there and experienced the spiritual sphere yourself, or you are just using your imagination?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or