U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2017, 11:43 AM

9,603 posts, read 2,652,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
East Asia has always been secular.
To assume every traditional society must have some faith to God/gods is invalid to begin with. It just happened that Abrahamic religions became influential in the Old World.
But Eastern religions offered a way of life that promoted charity, good will, and humbleness in society that also gave people a meaning beyond just getting rich.

China has none of that today leaving only the pursuit for more wealth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2017, 12:23 PM

6,726 posts, read 6,604,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
But Eastern religions offered a way of life that promoted charity, good will, and humbleness in society that also gave people a meaning beyond just getting rich.

China has none of that today leaving only the pursuit for more wealth.
"Eastern religions" are not really religions. They are just some legends and doctrines which nobody 100% believe in.
An emperor of Tang Dynasty literally renamed a Buddha because the name sounds similar to his own name, and he considered it offensive to himself.

If people can control themselves and motivate themselves in good ways, religion is redundant.

Old 12-12-2017, 12:57 PM

Quote:
"Eastern religions" are not really religions. They are just some legends and doctrines which nobody 100% believe in.
An emperor of Tang Dynasty literally renamed a Buddha because the name sounds similar to his own name, and he considered it offensive to himself.

If people can control themselves and motivate themselves in good ways, religion is redundant.
But being part of a larger group with a moral code and a purpose (enlighten others, give back to the community, etc.) gives individuals a grounded goal post and a place to retreat to in dark times.

People can do moral good by themselves but without a larger mythology around their actions they do not feel a larger purpose which demotivates them in the long term. You are seeing this in China today.

Old 12-12-2017, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
But being part of a larger group with a moral code and a purpose (enlighten others, give back to the community, etc.) gives individuals a grounded goal post and a place to retreat to in dark times.

People can do moral good by themselves but without a larger mythology around their actions they do not feel a larger purpose which demotivates them in the long term. You are seeing this in China today.
As I said China has always been secular, except during Mao's era when most people worshiped Marxism/Maoism without questioning.
Truly religious people will not do things forbidden by the doctrines, but they are also narrow-minded and sometimes become extremists. Religion has been a barrier for marriage, friendship, and so on.

Old 12-12-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
As I said China has always been secular, except during Mao's era when most people worshiped Marxism/Maoism without questioning.
Truly religious people will not do things forbidden by the doctrines, but they are also narrow-minded and sometimes become extremists. Religion has been a barrier for marriage, friendship, and so on.
Not when itís implemented to the proper amount. A society that is too religious will have those problems, a balance is required.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:37 PM

110 posts, read 113,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Have you actually being there and experienced the spiritual sphere yourself, or you are just using your imagination?
I'm a reincarnation of Mri Dan Gam.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:57 PM

9,779 posts, read 13,355,348 times
Quote:
East Asia has always been secular.
To assume every traditional society must have some faith to God/gods is invalid to begin with. It just happened that Abrahamic religions became influential in the Old World.
Not entirely true... As we've talked about in the past, even if people in China don't share a dogmatic faith, people here still subscribe to metaphysical/spiritual superstitions that they don't think of as such.

For example, my wife identifies as an atheist and yet, she told me that a spate of exhaustion and illness I had a few months back wasn't because of overwork but because last spring festival, I took some pictures of hillsides with graves on them. The spirits if their owners were unhappy and giving me bad luck. If I just deleted the photos I'd be better overnight. We couldn't let my daughter see her reflection at night for the first 30 days of her life because her soul could be stolen. To her and hundreds of millions of others, these things arent mystical, they are provable and well-known to any Chinese person as part of the culture. So ingrained that they don't even question how... Staggeringly stupid they are.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Not entirely true... As we've talked about in the past, even if people in China don't share a dogmatic faith, people here still subscribe to metaphysical/spiritual superstitions that they don't think of as such.

For example, my wife identifies as an atheist and yet, she told me that a spate of exhaustion and illness I had a few months back wasn't because of overwork but because last spring festival, I took some pictures of hillsides with graves on them. The spirits if their owners were unhappy and giving me bad luck. If I just deleted the photos I'd be better overnight. We couldn't let my daughter see her reflection at night for the first 30 days of her life because her soul could be stolen. To her and hundreds of millions of others, these things arent mystical, they are provable and well-known to any Chinese person as part of the culture. So ingrained that they don't even question how... Staggeringly stupid they are.
Yes, Chinese call these things 迷信, which have always been common in Chinese society.
The point is, these things are not organized, and every place has their own interpretations. Very few people completely believe in those things either, no matter how serous they appear to be.

Even in ancient time, the laws and the political systems did not reflect such 迷信 either. Intellectuals tended to criticize them.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:33 AM

4,665 posts, read 2,639,162 times
Chinese culture can be quite spiritual in a superstitious way like 415 says, but I also believe Bettafish is correct in that it had little influence on government and law, especially relative to the rest of the world.

Old 07-19-2018, 12:17 AM

6,066 posts, read 10,844,519 times
Talk Science. Yunnan in particular is ecologically pristine. Getting escape already from any pollution, or land use issues. Cities over there in Yunnan aren’t even problematic. Clean without errors when comparing exact conjunction of just few national micro corners in the far northeastern reaches of Beijing hundreds of miles from there. Yunnan is at even parallel to Taiwan, or Vietnam in official recognition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or