U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Bangalore vs Calcutta vs Delhi
Bangalore 4 40.00%
Calcutta 3 30.00%
Delhi 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 06:30 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,196,266 times

Advertisements

Which one seems the more interesting place to visit, and if you have visited, what did you like about it?

I'm going to be making the trip over in December, and will visit all three. I'm a bit curious to my impressions afterwards. I will say that I visited Mumbai before, and found it to be extremely interesting and fascinating, and I'd go back in a mini-heartbeat. I hadn't expected to be intrigued by India, but it definitely is a very intriguing place.

So, which was/is more interesting to you, and WHY?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2017, 07:04 PM

4,521 posts, read 3,108,861 times
kolkata has better food and the people are nicer.

Delhi only has bukhara in the asoka hotel. People are shady in delhi.

Never been to bangalore.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
kolkata has better food and the people are nicer.

Delhi only has bukhara in the asoka hotel. People are shady in delhi.

Never been to bangalore.
Thanks for the info! I'm looking forward to seeing that....I'm going to say near Clark Street in Kolkata...looks interesting. Nice buildings in that area.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:00 AM

3,668 posts, read 3,527,125 times
Bangalore can be skipped - not a very touristy place. Both Calcutta and Delhi have their colonial charm and history. Names have changed but there are many interesting places. Howrah Bridge, St Johns Church, Victoria Memorial, Writers building (under renovation), Raj Bhawan, Indian Museum, St Pauls Cathedral, Zoo, Botanical Garden with Great Banyan Tree, College street for books, Marble Palace, DaKshineswar Kali temple, Maidan for football grounds - magnificent colonial architecture and relics.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:11 AM

3,626 posts, read 1,565,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Which one seems the more interesting place to visit, and if you have visited, what did you like about it?

I'm going to be making the trip over in December, and will visit all three. I'm a bit curious to my impressions afterwards. I will say that I visited Mumbai before, and found it to be extremely interesting and fascinating, and I'd go back in a mini-heartbeat. I hadn't expected to be intrigued by India, but it definitely is a very intriguing place.

So, which was/is more interesting to you, and WHY?
Every experience will be different. Each city has its own language and its own culture . Delhi and Kolkata are kind of homogeneous but Bangalore is diverse you find people from all parts of India there. Its an education and technology hub so you ll find a lot of educated people, bars , malls, expensive restaurants and hotels. I would also advise you to visit neighboring city/town of Mysore - much quieter, authentic and beautiful and well connected by rail/road.

But sad thing is every one flocks in to that beautiful city but dont care a bit about it. They inflate prices and want to make it dirty and backward like most of North India.

Old 09-15-2017, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Bangalore can be skipped - not a very touristy place. Both Calcutta and Delhi have their colonial charm and history. Names have changed but there are many interesting places. Howrah Bridge, St Johns Church, Victoria Memorial, Writers building (under renovation), Raj Bhawan, Indian Museum, St Pauls Cathedral, Zoo, Botanical Garden with Great Banyan Tree, College street for books, Marble Palace, DaKshineswar Kali temple, Maidan for football grounds - magnificent colonial architecture and relics.
Already booked a few days in Bangladore! I like soaking up a place, even if it doesn't have a ton of stated touristic sites.

That being said, as I have been researching these three cities, it does indeed seem that Delhi and Kolkata are going to really keep me busy - so much to each one.

As an aside...I'm going to stay in...

Bangladore - MG Road
Delhi - Haus Kraus
Calcutta/Kolkata - Park Street

It'll be interesting, as those are also a few of the 'happening' places at night time, in India. I'm a bit curious that side of the city, as well as the multitudes of things to do during the day as well.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Already booked a few days in Bangladore! I like soaking up a place, even if it doesn't have a ton of stated touristic sites.

That being said, as I have been researching these three cities, it does indeed seem that Delhi and Kolkata are going to really keep me busy - so much to each one.

As an aside...I'm going to stay in...

Bangladore - MG Road
Delhi - Haus Kraus
Calcutta/Kolkata - Park Street

It'll be interesting, as those are also a few of the 'happening' places at night time, in India. I'm a bit curious that side of the city, as well as the multitudes of things to do during the day as well.
Delhi place is Hauj Khas. Whether interest is in History, Monuments, Architecture, Food or just hustle bustle of bazaars, let me know and I can post from my knowledge of Delhi and Calcutta. All the best. A better way to travel in these cities is Metro trains now- a respite from overcharging auto/rickshaw/tuktuk. Although I am amazed that you left Bombay -thats a fascinating place also.

Old 09-16-2017, 09:04 AM

Also look at this website of zomato. It has menu cards of lot of restaurants, bars even small eateries with prices. So one can know the menu with prices before entering.
https://www.zomato.com/india

Old 09-16-2017, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
Delhi place is Hauj Khas. Whether interest is in History, Monuments, Architecture, Food or just hustle bustle of bazaars, let me know and I can post from my knowledge of Delhi and Calcutta. All the best. A better way to travel in these cities is Metro trains now- a respite from overcharging auto/rickshaw/tuktuk. Although I am amazed that you left Bombay -thats a fascinating place also.
I visited Mumbai/Bombay about 3 years ago, and really liked it a lot - I was even on set for a Bollywood movie, as they were looking for extras among the foreign tourists.

Great to know about the Metro trains. I did take those in Mumbai.

Actually I know so little about Delhi and Calcutta, I don't even know what to ask! I think once I step into the cities, I'll have a much better feel for them though.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:51 PM

2,129 posts, read 2,914,011 times
When you're in Kolkata, make sure you eat Indian- Chinese food, pretty unique. Also try 'Arsalan' for great Biryani and Mughlai (Indian muslim) dishes. I agree that people in Kolkata were generally nicer than Delhi and Mumbai. I got lost once in Kolkata and a guy actually went out of his way to put me on the right track. In Delhi, not so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or