U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 07:31 PM

277 posts, read 205,078 times

Advertisements

When you really think about it, has South Korea eclipsed Japan when you take into consideration population size and overall size? South Korea is merely 51 mil & 100,000 km 2 give or take yet they are able to punch well above their weight on the global scale? Japan is 377,000 km 2 and 127mil, double the size in all aspects.

At their peak the Japanese strategy was to create many smaller companies and share the tech around / have cross interest in companies whereas Koreans seem to have two/three massive chaebals to dominate a certain field.

Today, South Koreans lead in electronics, especially in the field of display tech and battery technology.

Dig a little deeper and you'll see Japanese companies dominate more advanced manufacturing such as miniaturised capacitors and machinery (e.g. Cannon Senki is only one of two Japanese companies globally that can produce OLED)

My take is that South Korea really do punch well beyond their weight to match an economy and technological advanced nation such as Japan. They are impressive but aren't the best on the global stage when you consider the likes of Sweden with 10mil and brands like Volvo and a decent aero industry!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2017, 10:44 PM

4,520 posts, read 3,104,293 times
no

Old 09-12-2017, 06:21 AM

9,629 posts, read 2,660,291 times
I think South Korea is headed for the same fate as Japan in the 80s and Taiwan in the 90s.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:32 AM

5,677 posts, read 3,653,594 times
Not sure what you're saying here. It's clear that South Korea is an economic success story and some of its companies are major players in the international market. Whether Samsung is "better" than Sony, however, is more subjective and can be interpreted in a number of different ways (e.g. units sold, revenue, profit, market capitalization, market share, customer satisfaction, etc.)

Using hard numbers, the Gross Domestic Product of South Korea in 2016 was 1,411.25 billion USD. The GDP of Japan in that year was 4,939.38 billion USD, which represents a sharp drop from the 2012 figure of 6,203.20 billion USD.

But of course, as you correctly point out, Japan has a larger population. Thus, to normalize this effect, one would look at GDP per capita. In 2016, this was 25,458.90 USD for South Korea and 47,607.70 USD for Japan.

Thus, in purely economic terms, South Korea is nowhere near eclipsing Japan. This, of course, is not to minimize the amazing progress that South Korea has achieved in the past few decades. But they still have a ways to go to surpass Japan, economically speaking.

Source for these figures:
https://tradingeconomics.com/south-korea/gdp
https://tradingeconomics.com/japan/gdp

Old 09-13-2017, 12:12 PM

10,847 posts, read 11,270,768 times
No way. In terms of either economic power or standard of living.

Old 09-13-2017, 01:51 PM

451 posts, read 1,080,417 times
As for the Swedish example and Volvo, ironically, right now Volvo is owned by Geely Holding Group, a Chinese company. And just prior to that, Volvo was owned by Ford Motor Company, an American company.

Old 09-13-2017, 06:57 PM

2,781 posts, read 1,016,942 times
Both countries will still need to overcome the issue of having a negative birth rate in order to ensure long term survival.

Old 09-13-2017, 07:46 PM

277 posts, read 205,078 times
It's hard to explain what I'm trying to say but here's how best to put it, considering size, population and everything, South Korea seems to have achieved more than Japan? Like punching well above it's weight.

Japan may be more advanced in a lot of fields of science and tech but it has way more engineers/resources and is what I'd label "old money". South Korea came from a barren wasteland to what it is today having at been one point as rich as Sudan. To get from zero to hero, in fact taking on and winning against your teacher/master (Japan) in some aspects in my opinion is amazing.

Old 09-13-2017, 08:34 PM

4,665 posts, read 2,643,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post
It's hard to explain what I'm trying to say but here's how best to put it, considering size, population and everything, South Korea seems to have achieved more than Japan? Like punching well above it's weight.

Japan may be more advanced in a lot of fields of science and tech but it has way more engineers/resources and is what I'd label "old money". South Korea came from a barren wasteland to what it is today having at been one point as rich as Sudan. To get from zero to hero, in fact taking on and winning against your teacher/master (Japan) in some aspects in my opinion is amazing.
I'd say no. There are still some very poor areas in S Korea. The Korean port cities have been wealthy for quite some time, under Imperial Japan they were well developed. So, no S Korea was never like Sudan imo.

You can find old pictures of Korea and it was a decently nice place 100 years ago.

S Korea is a nice country and it may surpass Japan someday relatively per capita, but not for now. S Korea and Japan have a similar problem of not many natural resources. They've done great with what they have, but just like other developed countries, manufacturing will mostly leave eventually once the cost gets too high.

Old 09-14-2017, 11:59 AM

5,677 posts, read 3,653,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willister View Post

Not at all to diminish South Korea's achievements . . . but have you seen pictures of Japan at the end of World War II? "Barren wasteland" sums it up quite nicely.

The fact is, both Japan and South Korea have done amazingly well for themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia