U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 03:47 PM

9,588 posts, read 2,647,644 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Few nations can occupy such a huge ariable land in the temperate zone. Actually only two nations did.
Brazil?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2017, 04:15 PM

252 posts, read 100,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
This article is from 2015 but it seems pretty balanced bringing up all the old buildings that are still being destroyed at a rapid pace.
Rebuilding and Repurposing: Chinaís Selective Use of Temples Ė Odyssey Edge

What I am wondering is the net difference between temples/old buildings that are being rebuilt to the ones being destroyed.

Either way it is sad all the beautiful traditional villages are being ruined.
That statue inside the temple looks scary ... might as well pull down the whole place.

You might find the photos in this article interesting.
Beyond the Great Wall: China

"net difference" .. hmm
Chinese Pharmaceutical Factory Copies Versailles Interior

Old 10-29-2017, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orbiter View Post
That statue inside the temple looks scary ... might as well pull down the whole place.

You might find the photos in this article interesting.
Beyond the Great Wall: China

"net difference" .. hmm
Chinese Pharmaceutical Factory Copies Versailles Interior
thanks for the link, beautiful places.

Old 10-29-2017, 07:30 PM

6,725 posts, read 6,601,290 times
Quote:
Brazil?
Tropical...

Old 10-30-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
True but almost everywhere in America is connected one way or another where as I'm not sure if I wanted to go to Dunhuang or even further west to a place like Tibet if it would be that easy due to a less developed rail network out there.

The second part is I don't know (emphasis on the I don't know) if some of the amazing mountains and natural parks like Mount Qingcheng or Wulingyuan are as easy to reach (partly due to the size of the country) as say Yosemite in the US which has a city and airport built around it with multiple bus tours, ticket sales and easy entrance into the park or Mount Koya in Japan that has a train from Osaka to the base of a mountain then an electronic lift to the top of said mountain.

I know China has the major cities well connected by I'm speaking of places like the aforementioned.
You can get to Dunhuang by highspeed rail now! It is not door-to-door though. See the map below - Dunhuang is somewhere between Hami and Jiayuguang. One may have to switch to local / intercity train.
http://www.chinadiscovery.com/assets...ailway-map.jpg

Old 10-31-2017, 05:48 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,255,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
There will be vastly different opinions on whether China is one of the greatest countries ever. First off you need to define "greatest". Secondly, how far back in time are we going back, since the current country was only founded in 1949. I've been to China several times, as that's where my wife is from. From what I see, they are still developing, not on par with the most advanced countries but developing rapidly. I enjoy visiting the historical sites since I like history in general. The people there in general are rude, obnoxious, selfish and treat each other like dirt. However, if you're a foreigner, specifically a white foreigner, they will treat you much better. I'm a foreigner myself, but since I'm also Asian I'm generally treated with either dislike or indifference with people in general refusing to help me with the language barrier. So basically I think there are a lot of historical sites and beautiful scenery to see, but the people make me have an overall negative impression of China as a country.
yeah, this is one aspect of the Chinese people that disgusts me. If you want to treat people badly, at least apply that indiscriminately.

The Chinese people in general treat people they know very well, offering all sorts of help when they can. But when it comes to strangers, they can be total jerks without the slightest civility. Often the sheer existence of other people seems an annoyance to them.

Old 10-31-2017, 03:51 PM

@OP, what is so special about "Wulingyuan" and "Qingcheng" mountains. If you like natural parks, I strongly recommend you to visit Canada, especially this time of the year.

However, you have rekindled my interest for the old Silk route.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWuUfS9CYPE

Old 11-02-2017, 07:30 PM

149 posts, read 137,073 times
Quote:
that's upsetting. I am still wondering (or holding out hope at least) that the Chinese are still building new structures modeled after classical dynastic china architecture or even rebuilding previously destroyed temples, buildings, etc. Their age doesn't matter to me that much, I care more for the feel and style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Then you go to Taiwan.
The best parts of China for only a couple of weeks vacation ...

or spend a month & ride the trains then hire drivers - never tours ...

Road to Eveest

Last edited by greenehaven; 11-02-2017 at 07:37 PM.. Reason: add quotes & Photo

Old 11-02-2017, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenehaven View Post
The best parts of China for only a couple of weeks vacation ...

or spend a month & ride the trains then hire drivers - never tours ...

Road to Eveest
China is too big to pass up on visiting. It has thousands of cities with ancient architecture, incredible mountains, and an intellectual leader who is on par with some of chinaís Best emperors.
(No troll, going to China and seeing/feeling itís foreign political system that Iím not used to is exotic and helps me feel like Iím in a modern version of ancient china with a brilliant beuracracy and all powerful central leader who people love and respect and donít vote for.)

Old 11-03-2017, 11:14 PM

1,199 posts, read 435,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaBuenaVida View Post
This past April we went to Beijing, Xi'an, Chengdu, and Shanghai. I fully expected to love China but I didn't. There were a few highlights but overall I found it so dreary - something I'd describe as colorless, no music, not "happy". I wasn't a fan of Hong Kong and Singapore was a one and done for me (although I had a great vacation there). I'm glad I went but there are too many places to see in the world so it's extremely unlikely I'd go back.
This, in spades.
Went ten years ago for a month, flew to (occupied) Tibet as well, which was the highlight, even tho Chinese soldiers with automatics were posted on rooftops everywhere and I saw them monitoring the population below. But at least the air was clean and breathable. Those Tibetans have it hard.

Anyhoo, I saw the sun ONCE in China (Xian) that whole time, no natural greenery to get excited about, dreary grey skies, and a strange disturbing lack of birds and ambient animal life... like it was picked clean!
Even on the Yangtze everything was so dull I now call China the taupe country.

But the people were sweet and curious, and needed lots of dental work, and better haircuts.
Plus they charge different prices for haircuts depending on the status/level of your operator!
And they will squeeze into any gaps in a line so you have to stand close else you'll never get to the front.
And the wine is pure swill and the spirits are poison (no joke) so you'll need to find a western hotel if you want anything other than beer, for imported stuff. AA is utterly pointless here.

And the view of Chongking from the hillside was like something out of a future polluted dystopia.
And the public bathrooms make the Pit of Misery look like.... oh, you get it now, don't you?

I'll never go back but boy am I glad I went once!

P.S. Oh yeah, there are a helluva lot more than 1.3 billion here.. and many 'unsanctioned' citizens will arrange for fake 'work IDs' as evidenced by all the 'fixers' who advertize in graffitti everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or