U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2017, 11:25 PM

597 posts, read 354,023 times

Advertisements

You went ten years ago. If you were to return you would see many changes, as we did. We had some beautiful weather and were surprised to see so many cherry blossoms in Beijing and other places.
Yes of course many people still cannot afford western standards of dental work and haircare, though increasing numbers can. It is still after all, a developing country but certainly not stagnant.
Our thirty year old guide was telling us how her grandparents used to have to eat tree roots during the famines not all that long ago. There have been incredible advances there and that will continue.
We have travelled a lot and we have no ties to China whatsoever. But we thoroughly enjoyed our month there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2017, 01:11 PM

721 posts, read 301,661 times
One of the greatest? Sure. China belongs in that discussion. The greatest? No.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:10 PM

9,653 posts, read 2,672,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zambon View Post
One of the greatest? Sure. China belongs in that discussion. The greatest? No.
What is the greatest then.

Old 11-04-2017, 04:22 PM

256 posts, read 101,264 times
Quote:
You went ten years ago. If you were to return you would see many changes, as we did.
lol ... like these glass washrooms?
Chinese ecological park opens public toilets made of GLASS on top of trees | Daily Mail Online

Quote:
I'll never go back but boy am I glad I went once!

P.S. Oh yeah, there are a helluva lot more than 1.3 billion here.. and many 'unsanctioned' citizens will arrange for fake 'work IDs' as evidenced by all the 'fixers' who advertize in graffitti everywhere.
I do not quite understand what you are trying to say here. Anyone falling prey to a fake work ID is definitely bad and must be protected.

According to this article:-
Quote:
"An estimated 200,000 Filipino domestic workers worked illegally on the mainland last year due to China’s strict work visa policy, Bello said."

“In many of Beijing’s high-end residential communities, Filipino maids are frequently seen working illegally. The employment of these workers has become a fact on the mainland,” Miao Lu, secretary general of the Beijing-based Centre for China and Globalisation think tank, said.
But things are definitely changing now.
Quote:
"In Shanghai, a Filipino domestic helper usually earns 7,000 to 8,000 yuan a month – almost double the HK$4,210 minimum salary for a helper in Hong Kong."
Confusion lingers over proposals for Filipino domestic helpers entering China | South China Morning Post

Old 11-04-2017, 06:51 PM

5,721 posts, read 4,632,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannabeCPA View Post
There will be vastly different opinions on whether China is one of the greatest countries ever. First off you need to define "greatest". Secondly, how far back in time are we going back, since the current country was only founded in 1949. I've been to China several times, as that's where my wife is from. From what I see, they are still developing, not on par with the most advanced countries but developing rapidly. I enjoy visiting the historical sites since I like history in general. The people there in general are rude, obnoxious, selfish and treat each other like dirt. However, if you're a foreigner, specifically a white foreigner, they will treat you much better. I'm a foreigner myself, but since I'm also Asian I'm generally treated with either dislike or indifference with people in general refusing to help me with the language barrier. So basically I think there are a lot of historical sites and beautiful scenery to see, but the people make me have an overall negative impression of China as a country.
I was watching some video blogs from Americans that are living in China they say violence and racism towards whites is increasing in China. One of them said they were attacked by a group of Chinese people and they told him to go home and called him names.

Old 11-04-2017, 09:23 PM

9,783 posts, read 13,372,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderlust76 View Post
I was watching some video blogs from Americans that are living in China they say violence and racism towards whites is increasing in China. One of them said they were attacked by a group of Chinese people and they told him to go home and called him names.
I've never been attacked, but I've definitely been called names and told to go home more than once. I just laugh, and either tell them that I am home, or to make me go back. My wife has gotten it too when we've been out, though this is rare. I can't say whether this is on the rise or not, but it's definitely an issue you will deal with as a foreigner, eventually. The people who do stuff like this are basically the same as people who do it back in the States: ignorant, dumb, low-ambition and with little way to navigate an increasingly complex, globalized world. It's very rare you'll hear of someone who's intelligent, sophisticated, and has a life go at someone for being a foreigner.

A year and a half or so ago, a Chinese woman in Beijing was stabbed from behind with a sword and killed by a crazy dude who thought her husband was an American (he was French). A few weeks ago in GZ, a Canadian guy was attacked at random by a taxi driver with a tire iron near the US Consulate. I know a Swedish guy who was bottled and KO'ed at a bar in Shanghai with no provocation and woke up in jail because the attacker claimed the Swedish dude attacked him and was ordered to pay him compensation; he was in jail for days before he got a lawyer who convinced the police to look at the tapes and saw what really happened, but then refused to let him counter-file charges against his assailant and claimed they "didn't have his info."

Stuff like this happens, and you have to be on the lookout for it like anywhere else in the world, and there are looming concerns due to the gender gap and things like that which combined with human trafficking issues make a lot of people nervous (especially if you have a daughter). Life here is still generally quite good for us though, no matter what anyone says, otherwise we'd all just leave. My biggest daily frustrations revolve around the indifference and obliviousness of the average person here when it comes to politeness and common sense.

Old 11-04-2017, 11:26 PM

6,777 posts, read 5,134,541 times
^That’s sad.

Old 11-05-2017, 06:29 AM

18,635 posts, read 9,625,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterfall8324 View Post
First off I'm not anti-China as some may think;

Secondly I was meaning to ask this because despite never being to China I'm studying it in college right now (side course for fun) and it seems like an amazing country both now and in ancient history. It is like a microorganism of the whole world with different cultures and regions all being insanely diverse, cultural influence that affected all of Asia, Historical (and soon to be) number 1 economy in the world, and by far the best most extensive folklore in the world.

They stretch from Tibet and the Himalayas to some of the most magnificent architecture in the world and so much more.

Even with my knowledge that it is a developing country is it a fun and as beautiful place I have read and heard about, or is it a let down to vacation to?
Not for me. It's interesting and the people are generally friendly. What was a bit disappointing for us was the food wasn't that great. I lived and worked in China and took a few vacations around the country. Overall, I would highly recommend a vacation there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or