U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 06:14 AM

15,951 posts, read 36,191,166 times

Advertisements

Cities in Indonesia that interest you...?

I've been to Jakarta, Bogor, Bandung, Yogjakarta, Malang, Kuta, and Ubud. They all had something to offer, and if anyone is interested, I can give you some impressions I have had of them.

I would like to venture into more of Indonesia...cities you've been to, impressions, and other cities you would be interested to get to, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2017, 12:05 AM

1,866 posts, read 3,426,991 times
Tiger, i am interested in hearing about some of your travels/impressions of these places. I don't have a trip in the books , but im interested in Indonesia along with Thailand and Singapore.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:29 AM

3,187 posts, read 1,447,142 times
Definitely Ubud and all of Bali and Bandung.

Old 09-19-2017, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Tiger, i am interested in hearing about some of your travels/impressions of these places. I don't have a trip in the books , but im interested in Indonesia along with Thailand and Singapore.
It's been awhile since I went....

Jakarta - This was a very chaotic city, difficult to walk around, with tons of chaos and overpasses and smells and missing sidewalks and all the rest. On the other hand, the nightlife really was amazing, and the wealth in its parts were quite amazing as well. For example, shopping malls that were on the ground floors, but residential skyscrapers above them. So I am just imagining a person living in those residences, pushing the elevator button, and comes down into a large shopping mall. I'm even wondering now if that was even real, but I remember stuff like that that I didn't expect. An amazing energy to the city though.

Bogor - This was a smaller city next to Jakarta, that is higher elevation. When I visited, it felt the same heat intensity though. It also seemed to be swallowed by the Jakarta Metro.

Bandung - An even more famous city known for its higher elevation. I felt that a little bit at night, in an area just outside of the city that had a higher elevation. But overall, the city felt just as hot as everywhere else. What sticks out in my memory, is the large number of musicians and people carrying guitars with them, seemingly all over the city. I also recall some other alternative scenes...a few dreadlock hippy indonesians, a few bars where ladyboys frequent and hit on straight men (never saw that in bars as being acceptable anywhere else that I can recall), and a large scene of retired expats with ladies who knew them well...

Jogyakarta - Bobodur is there, and tons of cultural stuff. It's basically the city to experience the traditional cultural stuff of Java. The city itself is alright too, better than most cities in Java by far. Just a lot of culture and tourist stuff to keep a person busy.

Malang - I went here for Bromo Volcano viewing. Malang was just okay. The city was designed poorly, so not that easy to comfortably walk around everywhere you might want to go...

I also went to Bali....but I went to more smaller towns...Ubud (traditional Balinese town, with a ton of hippy-friendly stores - i.e. organic, on and on, everywhere...lots of the new age stuff as well). Kuta (the party beach area). Seminyak (the upscale party beach area that has more botiques for a slightly more classier tourist), and that's about all I saw of Bali.

Anyways, I am hoping to explore more of Bali, and I wouldn't mind getting back to Jakarta again, as crazy as it was.

Old 09-19-2017, 12:11 PM

2,129 posts, read 2,913,501 times
I love Jakarta. To me, it's a quintessential city in a developing country: chaotic, frantic, packed with people, with fantastic street food options at every corner of the city (especially at night). I also like Bali, but if you want to appreciate the beauty of Indonesia, you need to get out of the usual islands (namely Java and Bali) and be a bit more adventurous.

My sister and I just got back from Flores in the Nusa Tenggara region of eastern Indonesia. We went to Labuan Bajo, from which we proceeded to the Komodo National Park to see the Komodo dragons and pink beach there. We also hiked to see a waterfall on Rinca Island. Visited Kalong Island, known for its flying fox bats that come out at dusk every day. Cool stuff.

We've visited Northern Sumatra (capital city: Medan) last year and visited Lake Toba. Very cool scenery.

We're planning on going to the western side of Sumatra Island (capital city: Padang) next year and look forward to its culinary delight, the many beaches on its coast, and probably will visit one of the Mentawai Islands while we're there.

Old 09-20-2017, 12:07 AM

1,866 posts, read 3,426,991 times
Thanks for the info Tiger Beer and graceC, Java and Bali sounds like a very exciting place to visit. And so does the Nusa Tenggara region, especially to see the Komodo Dragons!

Tiger, how much time did you spend in Jakarta?

I bet the coffee is really good in Sumatra, and looks like it would be easy to hop on over to Singapore from there.

Old 09-20-2017, 01:39 AM

2,129 posts, read 2,913,501 times
Coffee is great most everywhere in Indonesia, but outside of posh restaurants and western style cafes, it's prepared very simply in a tall glass (like beer glass). They just put ground coffee and sugar in a glass and pour hot water in it, mix it in, and done. You wait for a couple of minutes for the coffee ground to settle to the bottom of the glass before you start sipping away. They also use condensed milk instead of fresh milk.

Old 09-20-2017, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silkdashocker View Post
Tiger, how much time did you spend in Jakarta?
If I remember right, I only had about 4 days...but I liked it, and I wished that I had more time to get to know it more. I still don't feel I know Jakarta much at all....

Old 09-21-2017, 08:15 PM

483 posts, read 193,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It's been awhile since I went....

Jakarta - This was a very chaotic city, difficult to walk around, with tons of chaos and overpasses and smells and missing sidewalks and all the rest. On the other hand, the nightlife really was amazing, and the wealth in its parts were quite amazing as well. For example, shopping malls that were on the ground floors, but residential skyscrapers above them. So I am just imagining a person living in those residences, pushing the elevator button, and comes down into a large shopping mall. I'm even wondering now if that was even real, but I remember stuff like that that I didn't expect. An amazing energy to the city though.

Bogor - This was a smaller city next to Jakarta, that is higher elevation. When I visited, it felt the same heat intensity though. It also seemed to be swallowed by the Jakarta Metro.

Bandung - An even more famous city known for its higher elevation. I felt that a little bit at night, in an area just outside of the city that had a higher elevation. But overall, the city felt just as hot as everywhere else. What sticks out in my memory, is the large number of musicians and people carrying guitars with them, seemingly all over the city. I also recall some other alternative scenes...a few dreadlock hippy indonesians, a few bars where ladyboys frequent and hit on straight men (never saw that in bars as being acceptable anywhere else that I can recall), and a large scene of retired expats with ladies who knew them well...

Jogyakarta - Bobodur is there, and tons of cultural stuff. It's basically the city to experience the traditional cultural stuff of Java. The city itself is alright too, better than most cities in Java by far. Just a lot of culture and tourist stuff to keep a person busy.

Malang - I went here for Bromo Volcano viewing. Malang was just okay. The city was designed poorly, so not that easy to comfortably walk around everywhere you might want to go...

I also went to Bali....but I went to more smaller towns...Ubud (traditional Balinese town, with a ton of hippy-friendly stores - i.e. organic, on and on, everywhere...lots of the new age stuff as well). Kuta (the party beach area). Seminyak (the upscale party beach area that has more botiques for a slightly more classier tourist), and that's about all I saw of Bali.

Anyways, I am hoping to explore more of Bali, and I wouldn't mind getting back to Jakarta again, as crazy as it was.
don't equate this city with your visit that come before, now many changes, and you say bandung and bogor hot ?? that's because you are foreigners from western countries where the temperature is probably cooler than those 2 cities, but I as a jakarta people say bandung and bogor is a very cold city, when visiting the city I have to prepare many sweaters,* thick jacket, and water very cold as ice.not surprising, city like bandung, bogor, jakarta is a city which is very liked by dutch and jewels for colonizer compared with city or other area in indonesia.jakarta of course very hot and can not be compared with coolness in bandung and bogor and even malang in east java wheather very cold.that's why bandung and bogor has always been a tourist destination & travel adventure

Old 09-21-2017, 10:01 PM

483 posts, read 193,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Cities in Indonesia that interest you...?

I've been to Jakarta, Bogor, Bandung, Yogjakarta, Malang, Kuta, and Ubud. They all had something to offer, and if anyone is interested, I can give you some impressions I have had of them.

I would like to venture into more of Indonesia...cities you've been to, impressions, and other cities you would be interested to get to, etc.
Jakarta: a modern and expensive city that is different from all city in Indonesia, if you a visit jakarta ,you have to prepare a lot of money this maybe jakarta as a capital city with a strategic place, this is different from the city in southeast asia, when i visit to ho chi minh and bangkok are all cheap ,ranging from hotels, food, shopping etc. i bring a little money from jakarta but when returning home in JKT i will bring home a lot of goods which I bought

Bandung: a cool city with a very beautiful nature, shopping, culture and good food and lots of beautiful women there, In bandung especially in villages such as lembang, ciwidey and so on this is a suitable place for a vacation

Bogor: I see bogor is a really amazing place especially the peak areas, plants and different nature. many tea gardens are there. many house houses with nice buildings on hill, it takes 2 hours of Jakarta with KRL to arrive in Bogor

Malang: cool city and beautiful nature, but people speak more Javanese language than Indonesian , even I do not quite understand. i like the food and nature

Yokyakarta: is a student city of many provinces, I am like malioboro street a busy night

Bali: The best possible tourist spots in the world, many offer beautiful beach , and very many tourists or traveller there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or