U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2017, 09:10 PM

15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times

Advertisements

Both cities have a ton of similarities...both are a bit car-dependent with tons of malls, high density, crazy nightlife, very english-friendly, tons of people, extremely spread out for miles and miles as metros, etc.

However, Manila is STRESSFUL....high number of dishonest cab drivers, dishonesty directly at the airport with scams, have to have your guard up all of the time when walking the streets....excessive attention when walking the streets of Ermita/Malate making you feel like a walking atm machine.

How about Jakarta?
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 07:21 PM

1,986 posts, read 713,191 times
Both cities have very basic public transportation options given their huge size.

The scams and dishonest cab drivers are very common across SEA. The only country that avoids those issues is Singapore.

Old 09-25-2017, 07:17 PM

204 posts, read 80,257 times
I think Jakarta is also a stresses city but not as severe as Manila, the factors that create stress in Jakarta are the congestion and the increasing population density.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:00 PM

1,044 posts, read 1,543,812 times
Is Jakarta English-friendly at all?

Old 09-28-2017, 05:18 AM

15,687 posts, read 34,675,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
Both cities have very basic public transportation options given their huge size.

The scams and dishonest cab drivers are very common across SEA. The only country that avoids those issues is Singapore.
Well, yeah, but my experiences with Manila, its on another level. They almost ALWAYS drive on empty, and need to get gas, and ONLY put in US$1-2 again...just time killers, consistently, and they do it with everyone. Than you get the regular warnings of kidnappings in a taxi, and all the other things.

I agree that overcharging is par for the course for any SEA country, but in Manila, everything is amped up to a higher level than any other SE country though.

Last edited by Tiger Beer; 09-28-2017 at 05:57 AM..

Old 09-28-2017, 03:14 PM

2,923 posts, read 1,707,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Well, yeah, but my experiences with Manila, its on another level. They almost ALWAYS drive on empty, and need to get gas, and ONLY put in US$1-2 again...just time killers, consistently, and they do it with everyone. Than you get the regular warnings of kidnappings in a taxi, and all the other things.

I agree that overcharging is par for the course for any SEA country, but in Manila, everything is amped up to a higher level than any other SE country though.
that's why its good news they have Uber/Lyft now but the govt is squeezing them

Old 10-01-2017, 07:06 PM

311 posts, read 260,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post

Well Manila has already 3 existing metro and light rail lines MRT systems running all throughout the metro LRT1, MRT2 and MRT3 besides the basic railway PNR. MRT2 is now expanding as well as LRT1. While a new MRT7 is already underconstruction and a subway system is already in its survey and study phase. Jakarta has very good BRT system comparable if not better than the world standards but is just building their 1st MRT system u/c.

Yes Manilas transportation is very basic but there is but... if we compare it to Tokyo or Seoul but not with the rest of the world nah!!

Old 10-01-2017, 09:02 PM

204 posts, read 80,257 times
Jakarta in terms of transportation lags behind Singapore, KL, Manila & Bangkok. But under Jokowi's leadership he's is more focused on managing transportation, that is why MRT was built in 2013, and will be completed by Phase-1 MRT early 2019, MRT past business district of jakarta the underground path. MRT phase-2 to start development in 2018, I see the MRT JKT builders so neatly, probably will offer good transportation for the community.

(Construction of MRT Subway in Bundaran HI )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0n_ahiT3hLY

Old 10-02-2017, 01:08 AM

23 posts, read 14,828 times
Jakarta metro transportation is bigger than any other city in south east asia. seems like you guys forget that their MRT/Commuter line is the first its kind of electrification in south east asia, and its even the biggest commuter line in south east asia. they operated it more than 40 years even tho it looks old, but i admire and give credit to indonesia/jakarta railway company the way their maintenance its pretty impressive, clean and neat. its comparable to japan, well since their import alot of rolling stock from japan and sometimes it make feels like im in japan except the hijab girls . their commuter have 6 line meanwhile manila only have 3 line. and their BRT System make me envy so many route, cashless, modern and difable-friendly.

MRT/Commuter Lin metro jakarta

what i like is the carriage's soooo wide, i remember during rush hour they offers me to sit next to them. they just generous even tho im okey standing on the train.

jakarta also will have that her first soekarno hatta international airport raillink to connect from the airport to the centre of jakarta which i believe i dont see that in manila, and dont forget that they also build 43Km Metro LRT and MRT Subway. for me its much more easy in jakarta, less-stress. give them 7 years from now, lets see after their build their 84Km MRT/Subway finish in 2024 which that will be the largest MRT/Subway in the world. i just love jakarta even its traffic make me stress sometime. lol

Last edited by thejojo; 10-02-2017 at 01:18 AM..

Old 10-03-2017, 01:50 AM

311 posts, read 260,319 times
You are talking about the railway which Manila also has namely the Philippine National Railway (PNR) though not as extensive as yours. We are talking about Mass Rapid or Metro Rail Transit. You are still building one with a monorail which makes it two. While Manila has existing 3 MRTs/LRTs, one monorail, one undercostruction plus extensions to the current lines which will make it 5. You should know how to identify which is which and to tell the differences among them.

And besides the very first metro line in Southeast Asia is our very own LRT1 in 1984. If we talk about the PNR its been there operating since 1892 which means its already more than a century. Keep your facts straight!

Last edited by neMarL; 10-03-2017 at 02:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or