U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:30 AM

15,954 posts, read 36,224,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Its just a topic that I find interesting as you read so many articles on retiring overseas, esp to places in Europe or South America, but not much on Asia as a whole. Yes, Thailand and the Phillippines, but none of the other larger countries. Plus, I just wanted to get ideas and thoughts from some on this site that I know are long time Asia expats, who originally were from North America or a Western country.
I tend to think of Southeast Asia and Mexico as some of the top destinations. I don't notice Europe so much, unless someone is in the higher income brackets. Yeah, South America and Central America is always up there - particularly Costa Rica, Panama and Ecuador.

ASIA, and maybe you are thinking of CHINA in particular? For years, it was just a random 1-6 months single entry for Americans, at US$150. You just never knew what you'd get, and the costs involved. Now that's it changed to a multiple 10-year visa, it could change things. We might start seeing websites of people devoting attention to China soon. Particularly with the possibility of teaching English part-time with privates, a nice little lucrative benefit for retirees. I did meet a British guy recently visiting Macau, he was retired and doing exactly that, living not too far from the HK/Macau border for his visa runs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 12:30 PM

6,324 posts, read 6,994,449 times
Quote:
ProjectMaximus, I think your right, and its very difficult to foresee where you will be in your final years. Its just a topic that I find interesting as you read so many articles on retiring overseas, esp to places in Europe or South America, but not much on Asia as a whole. Yes, Thailand and the Phillippines, but none of the other larger countries. Plus, I just wanted to get ideas and thoughts from some on this site that I know are long time Asia expats, who originally were from North America or a Western country.
I have seen Kuala Lumpur and Penang pop up often. It might be self-selective as often my relatives in Malaysia send me those lol. But the articles claim it is already quite popular so there may be truth to it.

Quote:
I guess I would now focus on "pre-retirement" and possibly working part time, or taking up hobbies or things I want to do. I've also thought of the idea of 6 months in Asia and 6 months in another country, which I find ideal, but I have a daughter and her school gets in the way of that.
I hear you. In 10 years I hope to be in a 6/6 type of situation but I fear children may get in the way. We plan to do online schooling for a few years to get by, but if they are at an age when they really want to settle into a routine and network then I'll want to allow for that.

Quote:
I've been thinking of where to move to and settle down over the last 8 years thinking I'll leave China soon, but it never happens...haha.
Then you'll have to change your name on CD!!

Old 10-09-2017, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I did meet a British guy recently visiting Macau, he was retired and doing exactly that, living not too far from the HK/Macau border for his visa runs.
How are things in Macao these days? Is the light rail ever going to be finished? lol
I finally spent a week there last fall...it was actually more exciting and livable than I had imagined. I mean I'm sure after months it would get a little old and stale, but in smaller doses I could see myself enjoying it.

Old 10-09-2017, 01:24 PM

15,954 posts, read 36,224,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
How are things in Macao these days? Is the light rail ever going to be finished? lol
I finally spent a week there last fall...it was actually more exciting and livable than I had imagined. I mean I'm sure after months it would get a little old and stale, but in smaller doses I could see myself enjoying it.
When living here, it's fine.

I think of it as 600,000 person neighborhood in a 20+ million metro. When I lived in cities like Seoul or NYC, I seldom left a small handful of neighborhoods - live, play, and work.

Macau is kind of the same thing. There is more than enough just with Taipa and Macau. Plus if I want to meet friends in Hong Kong, for example, my ferry is 1 hour, and their same trip within HK, might also be an hour.

But for Macau, the plazas and for walking around, and having a relatively more relaxed place to HK, it really can't be beat. Also, Zhuhai is all bunched up right on the Macau border, so a stroll over there, and it opens up your 'places to go' phenomenally. Not only that, but there are also 1-hour trains to Guangzhou...not that I ever go, as so much already here between Macau/HK/Zhuhai.

There are definitely a significantly enormous number of significantly worse places to be, than living in a cool little city like Macau that acts as a pretty amazingly little cool neighborhood in a large metro region.

Old 10-09-2017, 03:02 PM

1,369 posts, read 553,462 times
Most posts emphasize on COL, but for retirees, crime (and health care) is more important especially if you are not fluent in the local language. Some recommendations suggested may not be good choice:
Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Malaysia (15)
Mexico (32)
Ecuador (36)
Thailand (41)
US (44) -- for reference
Philippines (62)

Most retirement destinations suggested have worse crime than U.S. in general.

Countries that have least crime:

(1) Singapore
(2) Qatar
(3) Taiwan
(4) Austria
(5) UAE
(6) Japan
(7) Hong Kong
(8) Georgia
(9) Denmark
(10) Switzerland

Last edited by Yac; 10-10-2017 at 07:11 AM..

Old 10-09-2017, 03:30 PM

Yeah I totally got that feeling when I was there. Prior to that trip I had been to Macau maybe 4 times but every instance was for just 24 hours kinda stopping by on my way to HK or China. This was my first extended stay as we were seriously considering relocating to Macau (wife is PR) and I was struggling to imagine how I would be able to do 183 days/year for 7 years to get my PR.

Although I think I would survive and enjoy it, it would feel a bit limiting. I hung out in HK with an American expat who had lived in Macau for 2 years and he felt the exact same way. HK has been much better for him.

In any case my wife has chosen a different life path which, at least for the next three years, is not going to involve Asia. So the can has been kicked down the proverbial road.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:01 PM

4,911 posts, read 3,405,536 times
I don't believe Singapore offers retirement visas to foreigners. It's possible to get Permanent Residence if you have unique work skills that benefit the country or very large amounts of cash to invest into the local economy. It is also offered to foreigners married to Singapore citizens.

The Permanent Residence program has been structured to favor Mainland Chinese immigration because of historically low Singapore birth rates and also to keep a Chinese majority in place to counter a growing population of Malay citizens in the country.

I'm aware of several Americans of retirement age or below in Singapore who started off as Permanent Residents because they are married to Singaporeans and later became citizens. One person I know from Michigan married a Singaporean, received citizenship and operates an eating establishment in a food court.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:03 PM

1,006 posts, read 726,669 times
Yes, Taiwan is ridiculously low crime. Not just underreported, but it's simply very safe. It's depressing to come back to the USA and have the nightly news dispassionately report local homicides every day, after living in Taiwan where the national news is reporting on scooter wrecks or getting all breathless and upset about drivers failing to yield to ambulances on the freeway.

Definitely makes me think twice about raising my kids in the USA. It feels like the wild west here, in comparison. Lots of money to be made and lots of literal and figurative bullets to be dodged. I'd like to pre-tire to Taiwan until the kids finish High school, then move back and send them on a gap year while we establish residency in the state where we want them to go to University.

Too bad that's somewhat infeasible in my line of work.

Old 10-09-2017, 04:53 PM

15 posts, read 31,262 times
I'm a permanent resident of Taiwan and own property in rural Japan. Taiwan has a good business climate and quality, low cost healthcare. Whenever I need to get away I pop up to my farm in Japan. Takes about four hours by air. Both places are friendly and low crime. Doesn't get any better in my experience.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:33 PM

662 posts, read 588,650 times
Macau is a pretty cool place, and I visit about 5 or so times per year, but its super quiet and not much going on. I'm not a huge partier at all, but it just doesn't seem like there is much there esp when you compare it to Hong Kong. Macau has some cools architecture and interesting small streets and alleys, but that might get old after a while. Only so much exploring you can do. Back in the day, maybe say 10 years ago, you could buy an apartment for like 1 million HKD and they also gave you residence which comes with healthcare and other benefits. Not sure if that's still available if you buy a place there, but of course like anything with real estate in China and its neighbors, prices have sky rocketed.

Taipei and Japan sounds amazing. Patrick, is your wife from Taiwan? Is that why you live there? I don't know any expats who live in Taiwan unless their wives are from there. Still, splitting your time between Taiwan and Japan sounds great. Which city are you in in Taiwan? I assume Taipei.

@TigerBeer, Good point about the ability to teach English for older expats or retirees in China. There are a bunch of American and Canadians who I would say are between 50 and 60 years old and teach at international schools. They make and save big bucks, esp when you compare to what they would save if they could still even teach in the U.S./Canada. Some live in my apt building, but I always think how bored or lonely they must be. They are all single, mostly women, and live alone. I see them going to work, then coming home at night but never see them out and about. Maybe they have their own social network, but I don't think they have much going on socially. With their families, kids, grandkids back home, just seems a little sad. Perhaps they don't want to be back home and have issues with their families? Not sure....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia