U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 03:25 PM

1,368 posts, read 550,748 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
How is it owning land in Japan? I would be interested interested in something like that myself. What are the visa issues with that? It seems to me that public transportation alone is so expensive in Japan, how much does it cost you just to get to that land?

Any anything else you want to say about owning land in Japan, please share!
There are some articles about foreigners not even buying land, but forests too, in Japan:
Chinese Developers Tap Into Japanese Insecurity - The New York Times

A lot of foreigners invest in the apartments in Tokyo and Osaka. Apartments are cheap in major cities as compared with any major metropolis in East Asia. But hotel charge is relatively expensive in Japan. So it is not a bad idea for frequent traveler to buy an apartment unit in Japan.

I think most likely foreigner cannot obtain mortgage loan from banks and he has to pay cash.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 10:22 AM
F18

552 posts, read 389,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I'm not so sure about visas either...

BUT, the foreigners can buy land. That is very unique and unusual in Asia. Probably the most immigrant-friendly thing anywhere in Asia.

None of Asia is immigrant friendly, really....
In other countries foreign nationals cannot buy land? So immigrants just rent?

Old 10-11-2017, 01:55 PM

6,595 posts, read 3,648,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by F18 View Post
In other countries foreign nationals cannot buy land? So immigrants just rent?
Or buy condos. In China their own citizens can only lease the land so that there is a lower opportunity for leaving legacies. The foreign restrictions are a response to the European colonial past

Old 10-16-2017, 10:00 AM

5,721 posts, read 4,630,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Yeah, I really think Asia is a young man's game. Great when your young, to advance a career or make some bucks, but when you talk settling down I'd rather be in the U.S. The best years of my life was when I was working in Shanghai in my 20's and 30's but I'm older and my situation has changed. Plus I want to try and make up for lost time with my family on the East Coast in the States. Do the traditional family gatherings and holidays.
By the time I retire anywhere desirable in the U.S. is going to be super expensive. The U.S. has a huge housing and rental issue in the cities on the coasts such as cities in California.

I have already started studying retiring in the Philippines and talk to ex-pats there now. I like the people and the cost of living. However I have to have multiple plans because that's quite a number of years from now and I don't know what the cost of living is going to be like by then.

I don't know anyone in the U.S. that wants to retire in Canada or Europe. More people would consider countries like the Philippines but they can't even find the country on a map and know very little about Asia in general.

More people in the U.S. are starting to looking into countries in Latin America and the Caribbean though. They are closer and much easier to get to from most parts of the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia