Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2017, 08:12 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

Many websites on it...and one poster owns land in Japan.

Just wanted to create a thread about it..pitfalls, problems, issues, visas, costs, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:09 AM

15 posts, read 36,112 times
It's easy for a foreigner to buy land/houses in Japan. There's lots for sale and there are few restrictions on foreign ownership. Can't buy agricultural land for example so if you want acreage the thing to look for is land zoned as forest land. Just need all cash because you can't get a loan. The hard part is finding the right piece of land but I hired a Japanese travel agent to take me around and translate for me. I tried a realtor but he was no use in finding that really nice piece of land off the radar. Once I found the right land though I used an English speaking realtor to handle all the transactions for me.

Japan allows me visa free stays up to 90 days which is more than enough as the longest I can be away from my business is 2-3 months. I thought about starting a business in Japan, partly in order to get residence, but I don't really need nor want residence as Japan levies income tax on global income of permanent residents. It also hits you with inheritance taxes on global assets and the tax situation is only going to get worse as Japan's fiscal situation inevitably deteriorates.

On the other hand, property taxes out in the hinterlands are low. I'm also able to drive in Japan using my Taiwan driver's license and own a car there so transportation is no issue. We live in snow country and skiing is great there, lift tickets are cheap, powder is good and we never have traffic or lift line issues as in North America or Europe.

Pitfalls? Almost no one speaks English where I live so I hire a translator on a case-by-case basis. My wife reads Kanji though so that helps. I had my translator translate recurring tasks into Japanese and now just show the laminated A4 sheet with translations on it when I need something -- refilling my kerosene tank, for example, or changing winter/summer tires. Also, Google translate has come along so well I can almost carry on an involved conversation with someone now just using it -- though some of the translations are hilariously off still. Another issue is bank accounts for paying utilities, property and auto taxes etc. Non-residents can't open a bank account but your realtor should be able to set you up with a local accountant who will, for a small monthly fee, pay your bills from a fund you set up with him.

Bottom line is we're very happy with our life in Japan as tourist visa property owners and have been able to work thru all the issues with no big problems.

Old 10-10-2017, 02:04 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Patrick, would you say there is any benefit to buying a place in Japan not out in the hinterlands? I would be interested in an area that is walkable and somewhat vibrant. Is the cost just not worth it at that point? And what passports do you carry?

Thanks for the info!

Old 10-10-2017, 06:12 PM

15 posts, read 36,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Patrick, would you say there is any benefit to buying a place in Japan not out in the hinterlands? I would be interested in an area that is walkable and somewhat vibrant. Is the cost just not worth it at that point? And what passports do you carry?

Thanks for the info!
I like Sapporo and think it would be a nice city to live in. It's an affordable city with plenty of culture and nightlife. I'm not so inclined to live in the more impersonal cities on Honshu though. I get all the city living I need in Taiwan though so it's a relief for us to live way out in the countryside where our only neighbors are farmers. I'm a U.S. citizen and permanent resident of Taiwan. Hope to soon have my Taiwan passport though once they change the law to allow dual passports -- as native Taiwanese are allowed to do.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:51 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_in_Taipei View Post
It's easy for a foreigner to buy land/houses in Japan. There's lots for sale and there are few restrictions on foreign ownership. Can't buy agricultural land for example so if you want acreage the thing to look for is land zoned as forest land.
That sounds beautiful. Forested land. I recall visiting north of Niigata, and seeing just unbelievably beautiful forested land in the mountains, that looked like something out of a story book.

I think Kyushu would be another interesting area, although I'm not sure how much is forested on that island.

Old 10-16-2017, 12:23 PM

7,778 posts, read 10,162,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick_in_Taipei View Post
I like Sapporo and think it would be a nice city to live in. It's an affordable city with plenty of culture and nightlife. I'm not so inclined to live in the more impersonal cities on Honshu though. I get all the city living I need in Taiwan though so it's a relief for us to live way out in the countryside where our only neighbors are farmers. I'm a U.S. citizen and permanent resident of Taiwan. Hope to soon have my Taiwan passport though once they change the law to allow dual passports -- as native Taiwanese are allowed to do.
Thanks for the info Patrick!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia