Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:27 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,084 times

Advertisements

Also with Japan, what would you do about a visa to live there? If your not working in the country, and they don't offer a retirement visa, how can you legally live in Japan permanently? I think that might be another difficult in addition to the costs. Japan isn't the most immigrant friendly country around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2017, 05:01 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTiger View Post
Certainly aware of Japan's size, but Osaka is likewise so expensive and a huge percentage of Japanese do not live in single-family homes. And most single-family homes I have seen from the train or the bus are not large; not coffin-sized, decent-sized but most are still considered small by US standards. My Japanese friend in Kobe lives in a single-family house, but he has not invited me to his home yet, so I haven't seen what his house looks like yet and no idea how much it is worth. He is more than 10 years older than me, and is less than 10 years to retirement. Since he has no children, his retirement plan is to pay a fixed sum to a retirement nursing home and they will take care of you for the rest of your life. I forgot the exact amount he said, but I remember it costs more than $1M per person. He is saving more than $2M for him and his wife. I love Kobe, but I lost all interest in ever retiring in Japan after I learned about the costs needed.
Culturally, the Japanese will never invite anyone to their homes.

This is a typical Japanese home though....just sharing for the thread...looks like you already know what they look like. But yeah, the shoebox apartment is common in Tokyo. In Kobe/Osaka/Kyoto, and most everywhere else you get like this:

If you go rural, you'll find something most likely surrounded by rice fields....

Old 09-29-2017, 05:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
Also with Japan, what would you do about a visa to live there? If your not working in the country, and they don't offer a retirement visa, how can you legally live in Japan permanently? I think that might be another difficult in addition to the costs. Japan isn't the most immigrant friendly country around.
I'm not so sure about visas either...

BUT, the foreigners can buy land. That is very unique and unusual in Asia. Probably the most immigrant-friendly thing anywhere in Asia.

None of Asia is immigrant friendly, really....

Old 09-29-2017, 07:05 PM

8,480 posts, read 6,878,349 times
Several years ago I was on a JAL flight from Narita into LAX. The gentleman I was sitting next to was very dark skinned and certainly not Japanese. He said something to the flight attendant in Japanese and after that we had a conversation. Said he was born in India but at a very young age his parents immigrated to Japan and obtained citizenship. Married to a Japanese woman and was on a business trip.

Old 09-29-2017, 07:21 PM

Indonesia seems absent from this thread....I know people, especially Australians, retire to Bali at times...but not sure how hard or easy that is to do...

Old 10-01-2017, 09:44 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,084 times
When I was in my 20's, I never missed back home (U.S.) but as I get closer to 40, and my parents get older, I miss home much more. I could not wait to get back to Asia and my friends back then. Now I like spending time in the U.S. Things are simple in the U.S. and I like that.

Being part of the community, meaning having a good local social circle, or even going down to the downtown restaurants/bars, being part of a church or town/city activities and clubs. Do you really have many local Asian friends? Are you close friends with local Chinese or Japanese or wherever you live? Your always an outsider if your white/black and live in Asia, even if you can speak the local language. I like the feeling of being a local, knowing people in my town, and making more friends. That's rather difficult to do with locals in Asia.

Old 10-01-2017, 09:52 PM

3,007 posts, read 6,284,017 times
Hi Jake, are you of Asian descent yourself?

Malaysia has a good retirement scheme. Thailand can be attractive (we are considering for pre, pre-retirement). Taiwan is a great place, but I am not sure about retirement. Japan--one has to make peace with being a permanent "foreigner" and isolation. Singapore is great but expensive.

Old 10-03-2017, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandpointian View Post
Japan--one has to make peace with being a permanent "foreigner"
This is an attribute that seems to only be pinpointed with Japan.

This is a universal commonality throughout Asia. You'll never be a Filipino or Indonesian or Thai or Chinese or Korean or anything else either.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:14 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
I think it's worth pointing out that most of these so-called retirement visas do not lead to permanent residency path. You are basically granted a relatively long term stay but you still have to buy your own private insurance for your healthcare, in some cases you're not allowed to own a property or land, you still have to renew your visa every few years, etc. Granted the costs might be cheaper in some countries, but you're basically just a long term tourist, so to speak.

I have a friend who lived in Singapore for a few years and paid $5500 per year for health insurance per person. Waaay more expensive than what you'd pay for Medicare. He and his wife eventually returned to US for good and just go somewhere warm in winter.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:32 AM

2,540 posts, read 3,732,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Indonesia seems absent from this thread....I know people, especially Australians, retire to Bali at times...but not sure how hard or easy that is to do...
They have a 'limited stay visa' that must be renewed every year, and you must be 55 years or older to qualify. You have to show retirement income of USD 1500 per month per person and must buy your own private insurance for healthcare. For serious medical procedure you will need to fly to Singapore for better care. Also to my knowledge, Indonesia doesn't allow foreigners to own property there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia