U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-10-2017, 01:34 PM
bg7
 
7,697 posts, read 8,185,034 times
Reputation: 15093

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Canada/Australia, yes, but the US, how? I don't think it accepts immigrants from overseas unless you already have family there, which will still takes as long as 10-20 years.

But it is beyond the discussion here. We are talking about tourist visa. You are complaining why you need a visa and why it is so expensive.


The US has a yearly diversity immigrant visa lottery - the biggest in the world - which people from any country in the world can apply for (apart from a few ones that are excluded on the basis that numerically they have sent too many immigrants to the US - eg China, UK, Mexico).


I don't know of any other country that even does this - let alone on the scale the US does.


Then there's H1-Bs, etc and an bunch of other visas which can often be parlayed into greencards. If you are even born there when on vacation there - you become a US citizen.







Anyway - visas between countries depend on what treaties the governments have agreed to. Hence British, German, and US passports have a lot of value in that they allow freedom of travel to many more countries than other passports..... Because their governments worked to secure those privileges by agreement.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-10-2017, 10:36 PM
 
Location: Earth
4,529 posts, read 3,111,651 times
Reputation: 3368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
Yep, and Kolkata looks very interesting!

It seems like Islam is going through some serious issues, I doubt if India would want to be reunited with Bangladesh, would they?

I get the impression that they (non-Muslim Indians) really prefer 'them' going 'over there'...
Islam has been a problem like communism and dominionism since the battle of Nahāvand. The oil money funding salafism and wahhabism does not help either. The point of partition was for the bedoiun followers to leave because they do not respect the separation of religion and state the free exchange of ideas.

The main barrier in way of reunification is purely ideological. You would need to reconvert the Bedouin followers to hinduism, buddhism, jainism, sikhism, or godlessness through social engineering or some kind of mass scientific enlightenment. Oil money would have to run out as well.

The only other way would be to kill them all but that would break some of international law. Look at the problem the kurds of are having with the ISIS soldiers surrendering. They can't give them to the shia militias or the russians/syrians, they can't keep them in jail, and they don't really want to commit a war crime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
It doesn't matter where this discussion goes, you are going to keep repeating the same thing no matter how unrelated the subsequent post is. We got it, thanks.
butthurt is a frequent theme of a Botticelli post. He's like a mini trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-10-2017, 11:45 PM
 
Location: Macao
15,951 posts, read 36,206,900 times
Reputation: 9493
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
The oil money funding salafism and wahhabism does not help either. The point of partition was for the bedoiun followers to leave because they do not respect the separation of religion and state the free exchange of ideas.

The main barrier in way of reunification is purely ideological. You would need to reconvert the Bedouin followers to hinduism, buddhism, jainism, sikhism, or godlessness through social engineering or some kind of mass scientific enlightenment. Oil money would have to run out as well.
yep, it kind of makes a lot more sense to visit KOLKATA right next door, than DHAKA. I don't see Bangladesh going down any other path except the one it is on, for the time being.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 12:54 AM
 
2,781 posts, read 1,022,412 times
Reputation: 1778
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
again, they charge $150 because the US government charges them the same amount. How come you can't comprehend this? If the US lower the visa fee to $20, they will do so as well.

You can't honestly expect them to charge $20 while your government charges $150, just because there is more to see in the US? International relations are not like that.
The reason why there are so many restrictions in place to getting a visa to a western country, especially for those coming from ourtside that sphere, is because of the potential to immigrate. Many people use tourist visas as a platform to get into the country and then overstay.

How many people are going to move to a developing country like Bangladesh? Even if they wanted to do so, the country offers very little in the way of a path to citizenship.

Thatís why the reciprocal policy makes little sense. Even Israeliís cannot go to the US without a visa, but Americans can easily go to Israel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 01:40 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,283,905 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milky Way Resident View Post
The reason why there are so many restrictions in place to getting a visa to a western country, especially for those coming from ourtside that sphere, is because of the potential to immigrate. Many people use tourist visas as a platform to get into the country and then overstay.

How many people are going to move to a developing country like Bangladesh? Even if they wanted to do so, the country offers very little in the way of a path to citizenship.

Thatís why the reciprocal policy makes little sense. Even Israeliís cannot go to the US without a visa, but Americans can easily go to Israel.
Doesn't matter, some countries have dignities. They reciprocate what you offer. As a westerner you might want preferential treatment just because "my country is wealthier" but most countries are not dumb enough to give you that, no matter whether you want to stay illegally or not. If the US wants a visa, then countries like China, India, Brazil and Russia will expect a visa from Americans for the same fee. Whether you want to overstay is irrelevant. If you think it is too expensive and too much work, then don't go, they don't mind.

when you say reciprocal policy makes little sense, you are saying "my country can treat people from other countries as thieves, but they can't treat me like one because I am from a rich country". That makes little sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-11-2017, 01:45 AM
 
10,847 posts, read 11,283,905 times
Reputation: 7586
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
The US has a yearly diversity immigrant visa lottery - the biggest in the world - which people from any country in the world can apply for (apart from a few ones that are excluded on the basis that numerically they have sent too many immigrants to the US - eg China, UK, Mexico). I don't know of any other country that even does this - let alone on the scale the US does.

Then there's H1-Bs, etc and an bunch of other visas which can often be parlayed into greencards. If you are even born there when on vacation there - you become a US citizen.

Anyway - visas between countries depend on what treaties the governments have agreed to. Hence British, German, and US passports have a lot of value in that they allow freedom of travel to many more countries than other passports..... Because their governments worked to secure those privileges by agreement.
Green card lottery is stupid. No immigration policy should be based on nothing but pure luck. Trump will get rid of it and I think that's the right thing to do.

The majority of H1bs are those who studied in the US and are already in the US. Very few can actually apply from abroad.

Jus Soli citizenship is also stupid. I know many Chinese women go to the US deliberately to have babies. Don't blame them, blame the stupid policy that encourages this kind of behavior. At least it should require either parents to be a US resident, not just a tourist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 12:59 PM
 
Location: Starting a walkabout
1,941 posts, read 942,574 times
Reputation: 2069
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Doesn't matter, some countries have dignities. They reciprocate what you offer. As a westerner you might want preferential treatment just because "my country is wealthier" but most countries are not dumb enough to give you that, no matter whether you want to stay illegally or not. If the US wants a visa, then countries like China, India, Brazil and Russia will expect a visa from Americans for the same fee. Whether you want to overstay is irrelevant. If you think it is too expensive and too much work, then don't go, they don't mind.

when you say reciprocal policy makes little sense, you are saying "my country can treat people from other countries as thieves, but they can't treat me like one because I am from a rich country". That makes little sense.
I don't know if I have agreed with botticelli in the past (probably not) but what he states in this thread is logical and makes sense. Countries like US and Canada and developed Europe don't want people to overstay and screen everyone using the visa system and charge a hefty amount.

The countries affected by it have three options
1. Give visa free entry and count on the tourist dollars to make up for it ( say Chile).
2. Have a reduced fee visa - get something in return but try and make up more in terms of more tourists.
3. Don't care about tourists and their impact on the economy. Charge the same amount as the other country charges. This is where the disagreement is. Botticelli feels that these countries care more about their respect, dollars be dammed and Tiger Beer feels that they need to charge much less for what they offer and get any tourist money they can.

I think India charges the same amount but has made the process easier by using e-visa system. Probably best of both worlds. Since USA cannot afford to try out e-visa with Indians they have the standard face to face interview and screening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 01:37 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,368 posts, read 551,768 times
Reputation: 1113
The non-immigrant visa fee is now $160.

But the example cited Bangladesh vis-a-vis US is not accurate because US doesn't target at Bangladesh in specific but visitor from every country except the 30 plus visa waiver countries.

In that part of the world, only five countries are granted visa waiver access to US: Japan, South Korea, Brunei, Singapore and Taiwan.

One of the criteria to gain visa waiver access to US is the visa rejection rate must be under 3%. There are some other places which visa rejection rate is close to 3% but still has not got visa waiver status. The reason is obvious: Those countries are not solid US allies like the above 5 countries are.

Anyway, many eligible applicants now can obtain 10-year multiple-entry visitor visa to US at $160 (most likely not from Bangladesh). So actually it is not that expensive if you are a frequent traveler to US.

Last edited by Ian_Lee; 10-12-2017 at 02:14 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 01:43 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,368 posts, read 551,768 times
Reputation: 1113
Actually the most humbug part to obtain a tourist visa to US is that it requires a personal interview while most other countries can do mail-in.

Unless the applicants live in Decca where there is US embassy, otherwise it is quite tedious for them to commute to the capital for the process.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-12-2017, 01:49 PM
 
Location: Honolulu
1,368 posts, read 551,768 times
Reputation: 1113
In many parts of the world, usually the less developed one, the governments require you to obtain an invitation letter from local business or institution as a prerequisite to obtain a tourist visa.

So usually you have to pay an extra fee to some travel agents to arrange such letter. I guess that is another way of generating revenue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top