U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2017, 07:48 PM

661 posts, read 587,509 times

Advertisements

I haven't heard of child kidnapping in China in a while. Years back, it was a major issue where kids around train stations or public squares would get taken as their parents (or often grandparets) would be playing on their phone or distracted somehow and a nanny/older woman would kidnap the child. Thank God that seems to have become less and less.

Yeah, one thing I don't understand is how people get tricked so easily with scams in China. The telephone scams and asking people to send money (now made easier thru WeChat) but also gimmicks of products and unethical salespeople easily convincing people to buy very expensive products that aren't genuine.

I think there is something to what Botticelli is saying in cultural and genetic (maybe peoples environment and their surroundings as well) at which East Asian's aren't as violent in general as say Westerners. I would also agree rape and other crimes might not be reported, nor publicized in China as often as other developed countries. Even with social media and more technology in China, I think there are still lots of crimes not reported or swept under the rug.

But still, its fascinating how safe China is, with all of its people, and all of its social differences among its people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2017, 10:23 PM

4,534 posts, read 3,113,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
I haven't heard of child kidnapping in China in a while. Years back, it was a major issue where kids around train stations or public squares would get taken as their parents (or often grandparets) would be playing on their phone or distracted somehow and a nanny/older woman would kidnap the child. Thank God that seems to have become less and less.

Yeah, one thing I don't understand is how people get tricked so easily with scams in China. The telephone scams and asking people to send money (now made easier thru WeChat) but also gimmicks of products and unethical salespeople easily convincing people to buy very expensive products that aren't genuine.

I think there is something to what Botticelli is saying in cultural and genetic (maybe peoples environment and their surroundings as well) at which East Asian's aren't as violent in general as say Westerners. I would also agree rape and other crimes might not be reported, nor publicized in China as often as other developed countries. Even with social media and more technology in China, I think there are still lots of crimes not reported or swept under the rug.

But still, its fascinating how safe China is, with all of its people, and all of its social differences among its people.
Moderator cut: see below read Romance of the 3 kingdoms, outlaws of the marsh, and sun tzu's art of war. These are classics. East asians are just as violent as westerners. Japanese are british of asia and resource hungry. They used to chop people's heads off before jihadis made it a daily occurrence. Lets not forget about mongolians! They raped and killed more chinese than the Japanese.
3. Being raped is very shameful in asia. Its still a stigma. Plus, you cannot trust the police in asia.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-15-2017 at 05:02 AM.. Reason: Discuss the topic only, not other posters

Old 10-11-2017, 02:03 AM

9,783 posts, read 13,374,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
You have no evidence to back it up.
Do you have any evidence to back up your statement that East Asians are less prone to violence?

I'm thinking of the many historical wars, WW2, the Boxer Rebellion, the Vietnam War, the Korean war, the Khmer Rouge, the Cultural Revolution, etc, and find this assertion to be silly. Even in wars where foreign powers were involved, the locals tended to be violent towards one another in legendary ways.

You have the Cambodian and Vietnamese gangs in the US, the legendary gang violence in HK and the brutality of the Yakuza in Japan... Even in the US, you had the Golden Dragon massacre in SF and the Wah Mee Chinatown massacre in Seattle. Not in East Asia but Asian nonetheless, look at the Philippines and it's vigilante violence right now...

Old 10-11-2017, 02:14 AM

597 posts, read 354,203 times
Well, as a tourist, China feels extremely safe. We spent a month there in April and often commented how we felt so much safer than in most other places we have travelled.

Old 10-11-2017, 02:36 AM

1,074 posts, read 1,474,973 times
Although I haven't seen violent crime statistics for China compared with say, America, I'd totally believe violent crime in China is a lot lower (reported and unreported) than in America. I've seen the murder rate in China and it's definitely lower than America's and roughly comparable to most Western European countries. I've always felt safer in China than in America. I'd say sexual crimes and being victimized are more taboo in China then in the West, but I don't think that's the reason for the supposedly lower rate. I think it's more cultural. Just as China's contemporary culture is less violent than America's contemporary culture. Notice I say "contemporary" as cultures constantly change over time.

I don't think genetics have anything to do with the tendency towards violence, it's mainly culture. Looking back at history, all different races of people are capable of incredibly violent behavior. Look at Europe today versus certain periods in their history. Actually the world as a whole today is far less violent than at most points in recorded history (ex. the last 2000 years).

Old 10-11-2017, 06:58 AM

5,631 posts, read 2,926,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
mod cut read Romance of the 3 kingdoms, outlaws of the marsh, and sun tzu's art of war. These are classics. East asians are just as violent as westerners. Japanese are british of asia and resource hungry. They used to chop people's heads off before jihadis made it a daily occurrence. Lets not forget about mongolians! They raped and killed more chinese than the Japanese.
3. Being raped is very shameful in asia. Its still a stigma. Plus, you cannot trust the police in asia.
This is ridiculous. You cannot use incidences from war and ethnic conflict and equate it to everyday society. Crime in Mongolia (home of those "brutal" Mongolians) amd Japan (home of those WWII Japanese soldiers commiting atrocities) are extremely low.

That is the topic of discussion of this thread. The everyday crimes, not war time violence. BTW, has there ever been a war or ethnic conflict that was never violent?

Last edited by Oldhag1; 10-15-2017 at 05:03 AM..

Old 10-11-2017, 07:10 AM

6,777 posts, read 5,136,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
This is ridiculous. You cannot use incidences from war and ethnic conflict and equate it to everyday society. Crime in Mongolia (home of those "brutal" Mongolians) amd Japan (home of those WWII Japanese soldiers commiting atrocities) are extremely low.

That is the topic of discussion of this thread. The everyday crimes, not war time violence. BTW, has there ever been a war or ethnic conflict that was never violent?
You can’t equate war times and peace times, that is true. However, Botticelli was implying that East Asians are inherently not violent, as if there were less violent genes running in Asian blood, which is a load of crap (and basically 99% of his posts, btw) as there are numerous counter examples through out the course of history to invalidate his remarkably delirious claims.

He could say that’s not what he meant, but he certainly came off this way.

As for everyday crimes, I don’t think anyone is arguing that China, or other countries in East Asia, has it high in that regard.

Old 10-11-2017, 07:48 AM

5,631 posts, read 2,926,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
You can’t equate war times and peace times, that is true. However, Botticelli was implying that East Asians are inherently not violent, as if there were less violent genes running in Asian blood, which is a load of crap (and basically 99% of his posts, btw) as there are numerous counter examples through out the course of history to invalidate his remarkably delirious claims.

He could say that’s not what he meant, but he certainly came off this way.

As for everyday crimes, I don’t think anyone is arguing that China, or other countries in East Asia, has it high in that regard.
I think you misunderstood botticelli. He obviously is aware of war time atrocities and violence. What he is saying is that East Asians might be predisposed to living peacibly in crowded and not always the most happy conditions but yet they don't resort to crime and violence. There might be something to that. It could be genetics, culture or a combo of both.

Old 10-11-2017, 10:46 AM

5,703 posts, read 3,663,967 times
Quote:
I think you misunderstood botticelli. He obviously is aware of war time atrocities and violence. What he is saying is that East Asians might be predisposed to living peacibly in crowded and not always the most happy conditions but yet they don't resort to crime and violence. There might be something to that. It could be genetics, culture or a combo of both.
I find the contradictions to be rather fascinating, myself. The history of warfare both ancient and modern shows that East Asians are capable of extreme violence and cruelty. Yet the crime statistics indicate that East Asians are, by and large, non-violent people. My own observations are that East Asians, in general, are not only less violent, but less aggressive, more self-restrained, and even more docile than others.

Are East Asians genetically disposed to non-violence, but their culture enables them to be as violent in wartime as anyone else? Or are East Asians genetically disposed to being as violent as anyone else, but their culture enforces a lifestyle of non-violence?

(And yes, I know that there is no monolithic "East Asian" culture. But I couldn't think of a short-hand way to make my point otherwise.)

Old 10-11-2017, 10:50 AM

12,334 posts, read 18,445,635 times
Quote:
I think it might also be a religious component as Buddhism that expresses lack of a individual self or soul which allows them to function better in a crowded and discliplined community setting, the ego's involved in the passion of committing crimes are not as easily expressed. Even for those that are non-religious the cultural aspect of the religion must have impacted there behavior.

This also allows these cultures to adapt to the more disciplined political models of communism under Mao, or Japan in WW2, or the structured societies of modern Singapore (although I presented this theory to a friend in Singapore and she very much disagreed). It may also explain the xenophobia elements you see in these cultures - once again referencing the apparent contradiction of the otherwise peaceful people in times of conflict - such as the brutality of Japanese Forces in WW2, and other Asians post-war conflicts, in regards to the treatment of foreigners.

Edit also: I've never had a problem with violent crime in my trips to China, but I can say I've never seen more scammers per square mile in the world then what I experienced on Nanjing Street near the Bund in Shanghai.

Last edited by Dd714; 10-11-2017 at 11:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia