U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 11:15 AM

10,847 posts, read 11,350,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
I think it might also be a religious component as Buddhism that expresses lack of a individual self or soul which allows them to function better in a crowded and discliplined community setting, the ego's involved in the passion of committing crimes are not as easily expressed. Even for those that are non-religious the cultural aspect of the religion must have impacted there behavior.

This also allows these cultures to adapt to the more disciplined political models of communism under Mao, or Japan in WW2, or the structured societies of modern Singapore (although I presented this theory to a friend in Singapore and she very much disagreed). It may also explain the xenophobia elements you see in these cultures - once again referencing the apparent contradiction of the otherwise peaceful people in times of conflict - such as the brutality of Japanese Forces in WW2, and other Asians post-war conflicts, in regards to the treatment of foreigners.

Edit also: I've never had a problem with violent crime in my trips to China, but I can say I've never seen more scammers per square mile in the world then what I experienced on Nanjing Street near the Bund in Shanghai.
Most East Asians are not Buddhist. Neither Japan nor China has a religion (in the real sense). They are like the two least religious nations in the world, and for thousands of years.

I think it is about culture. Like I said, for a young guy, being tough and causing trouble is not *cool* in Asian culture. Earning high marks in school is (unless in some culture being a good student has the stigma of being nerdy and not sexy).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2017, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I think you misunderstood botticelli. He obviously is aware of war time atrocities and violence. What he is saying is that East Asians might be predisposed to living peacibly in crowded and not always the most happy conditions but yet they don't resort to crime and violence. There might be something to that. It could be genetics, culture or a combo of both.
Never mind... to him everything I say is cr*p and he will always use dirty words to attack me, which is why he is one my ignore list. Just don't have so much time to waste.

Having lived in western countries for more and a decade, I do find they are more likely to resort to violent when things don't go the way they want. It is probably not genetic but rather cultural. Western culture encourages people to fight for what you think is right and not afraid of stand out. East Asian culture, not so much. If times are bad, suck it up, work harder, save more for the next generation. That's the general mindset.

Old 10-11-2017, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I find the contradictions to be rather fascinating, myself. The history of warfare both ancient and modern shows that East Asians are capable of extreme violence and cruelty. Yet the crime statistics indicate that East Asians are, by and large, non-violent people. My own observations are that East Asians, in general, are not only less violent, but less aggressive, more self-restrained, and even more docile than others.

Are East Asians genetically disposed to non-violence, but their culture enables them to be as violent in wartime as anyone else? Or are East Asians genetically disposed to being as violent as anyone else, but their culture enforces a lifestyle of non-violence?

(And yes, I know that there is no monolithic "East Asian" culture. But I couldn't think of a short-hand way to make my point otherwise.)
I agree. "docile" is probably the correct word (for good or for bad).

For example, in America, if you walk on the street and someone curses at you or tries to bully you (for whatever reason), you are more likely to fight back to get it even, verbally or physically because the culture tells you to stand up for yourself. An Asian person is more likely to just ignore it and avoid getting into any confrontation. Of course it doesn't apply to everyone but there is a difference. In Aisan cultural in general, being macho, dominant and confrontational is not considered an very attractive trait.

I don't know why people try to deny this. Few people in America for example will feel too alarmed if followed by an Asian guy at the middle of the night (vs by a black, white, Hispanic). That itself says a lot. Of course Asians are capable of violence, I am too, but in most case we are unlikely to resort to that just for the pleasure of the moment. We think about tomorrow and next year and whether using violence now is worth it.

In China we have an very old saying from 2000 years ago: A gentleman uses his mouth (to reason), a low born uses his hands (meaning violence).

Even in the prison, among the criminals themselves, you hardly see the same level of violence in Asian prison as that in the American one. (which is why there is hardly any Asia movie about prison life because it is boring).

But people are free to believe whatever they want to. Truth is, a very poor East Asian is still a lot less likely to commit violent crimes compared with others. This is why even poverty stricken cities in East Asia still do not show the same high level of crimes you see in other countries.

Old 10-11-2017, 12:55 PM

12,457 posts, read 18,551,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
Most East Asians are not Buddhist. Neither Japan nor China has a religion (in the real sense). They are like the two least religious nations in the world, and for thousands of years.

I think it is about culture. Like I said, for a young guy, being tough and causing trouble is not *cool* in Asian culture. Earning high marks in school is (unless in some culture being a good student has the stigma of being nerdy and not sexy).
OK first lets use the generic term of "Taoic Religions" to include all eastern religions including Shinto, Confucianism, Taoism, Mayana Buddhism, Caodaism, Cheondosim, and about a thousand other subsets. They are all part of the same religious "family" if you will and emphasizes a natural order that is not part of the self or the individual, but part of the universe.
Not that I want this to turn into a philosophical religious discussion, one could even debate if these are really religions or just philosophies.
A few dynasties in the past tried to quash religions, they last a decade or two then expire and they were restored. Communist tries to quash it, again that lasted a decade or two and was restored. Last I read, China has like a billion of it's population that prescribe to some form of Taoic religion, and even if they don't, like I said, the cultural elements you indicate above have it's source in religios concepts derived 2 millennium ago my opinion.

Old 10-11-2017, 01:34 PM

926 posts, read 563,423 times
While East Asian countries tend to have low murder rates there are European (Ireland, Italy, Spain) and even African countries (Madagascar, Burkina Faso) with comparable or lower rates. The US is an outlier among Western nations with a murder rate many times of its peers.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:29 PM

4,970 posts, read 3,444,264 times
Then of course you have to consider China's wide ranging death penalty laws that incorporate not only execution for murder and rape but also a wide range of economic crimes including government corruption. And these penalties are carried out much faster than in the West sometimes including immediate execution following conviction.

You see death penalty stories on a regular basis in the media. In June of every year in celebration of international anti drug day dozens of convicted drug dealers are paraded in local sports stadiums in front of thousands and then trucked out to killing fields to be shot in the head or in some cases lethal injection in mobile execution vans that travel to wherever they are needed.

Old 10-11-2017, 06:44 PM

6,816 posts, read 5,184,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
I think you misunderstood botticelli. He obviously is aware of war time atrocities and violence. What he is saying is that East Asians might be predisposed to living peacibly in crowded and not always the most happy conditions but yet they don't resort to crime and violence. There might be something to that. It could be genetics, culture or a combo of both.
If it was just one person then itís probably misunderstanding; if almost everyone thought so, heís the one with a problem.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:17 PM

666 posts, read 595,850 times
Paraded in local sports stadiums? You're watching too many movies dude.

Old 10-11-2017, 08:28 PM

5,166 posts, read 1,968,070 times
Caning?

Old 10-11-2017, 08:54 PM

666 posts, read 595,850 times
That's Singapore, not China. Not sure if they do that anymore. I'm sure your thinking of that U.S. kid who spray painted cars in Singapore in like 1996 or something and got his butt caned?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia