Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2017, 10:17 PM

8,864 posts, read 8,438,262 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeinChina View Post
That's Singapore, not China. Not sure if they do that anymore. I'm sure your thinking of that U.S. kid who spray painted cars in Singapore in like 1996 or something and got his butt caned?
Two german kids also got canned last year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 AM

88 posts, read 61,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by botticelli View Post
East Asians are simple not as violent, regardless of economic circumstances. People may want to deny it but it is simply true. From rich Japan to poor Laos they are all relatively law-abiding with low violent crime rates. It is in the culture as well as genes.

In terms of culture, western culture has some admiration for tough, criminal kind of guys. In Asia, the general trend is to admire well educated and civil men with mild behavior. Tough guys with tatoos and shaved head who curse constantly are not considered attractive, sexy and usually looked down upon.
Asian women still prefer alpha males over beta males. At least for one night stands and such. They do tend to marry more for money however, hence you usually see stunning women together with nerdy engineers in places like Korea.

Western beta males who are out of the gene pool in their home countries usually don't have much trouble finding love in Asia. But I think the reason is that the men in many Asian countries are such betas themselves, that the Western betas almost seem alpha in comparison. At least more alpha than they do back home. Then of course it is the status thing of having light skin.

Regarding crime in China: Violent crime is very low, you don't have to worry about it. Only thing you have to worry about is getting scammed/ripped off. However, there is a possibility of violent crime and that is if you do something very immoral towards a national. Like raping a Chinese girl. You will suffer the consequences if you think you can act however you want.

Old 10-12-2017, 08:06 AM

88 posts, read 61,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
I find the contradictions to be rather fascinating, myself. The history of warfare both ancient and modern shows that East Asians are capable of extreme violence and cruelty. Yet the crime statistics indicate that East Asians are, by and large, non-violent people. My own observations are that East Asians, in general, are not only less violent, but less aggressive, more self-restrained, and even more docile than others.

Are East Asians genetically disposed to non-violence, but their culture enables them to be as violent in wartime as anyone else? Or are East Asians genetically disposed to being as violent as anyone else, but their culture enforces a lifestyle of non-violence?

(And yes, I know that there is no monolithic "East Asian" culture. But I couldn't think of a short-hand way to make my point otherwise.)
As for the Han Chinese, historically, anyone who questioned authority would usually get killed. So this may be one of the reasons the more aggressive genes have died out in Chinese people.

Most of the wars in China historically wasn't initiated by the ethnic Han Chinese but by other tribes, like the Mongolians. The now so called ethnic Chinese eventually won because of sheer numbers and a high rate of breeding.

Old 10-12-2017, 10:10 AM

127 posts, read 109,146 times
There is little violent crime in East Asia and some SE countries because they are Confucius countries. Japan imported Confucius doctrines and dogma from China couple thousand years ago. Their social structure is oriented around Confucius dogma. Japan is arguably even more "Chinese" than Chinese are because the traditions they adopted haven't changed much since couple thousand years ago e.g. ancient Chinese used to be very polite to each others just like Japan now.

Vietnam, North Korea, South Korea and others likewise. SE Asia social structures are also influenced by it to some extent.

Last edited by davidmun; 10-12-2017 at 10:40 AM..

Old 10-12-2017, 10:50 AM

8,480 posts, read 6,882,429 times
Quote:
Paraded in local sports stadiums? You're watching too many movies dude.

And you're obviously ill informed or have no real knowledge of the Chinese judicial system. A little research and reading go a long way for those who are facts challenged.

Old 10-12-2017, 06:09 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times
Quote:
That's Singapore, not China. Not sure if they do that anymore. I'm sure your thinking of that U.S. kid who spray painted cars in Singapore in like 1996 or something and got his butt caned?
I read that they jailed 15-year-old blogger, who had since obtained an asylum in the US.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...-u-s-released/

Old 10-12-2017, 06:21 PM

2,215 posts, read 1,321,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmun View Post
There is little violent crime in East Asia and some SE countries because they are Confucius countries. Japan imported Confucius doctrines and dogma from China couple thousand years ago. Their social structure is oriented around Confucius dogma. Japan is arguably even more "Chinese" than Chinese are because the traditions they adopted haven't changed much since couple thousand years ago e.g. ancient Chinese used to be very polite to each others just like Japan now.
and his ilks
Vietnam, North Korea, South Korea and others likewise. SE Asia social structures are also influenced by it to some extent.
I didn't know that one.

Quote:
China’s deeply flawed criminal justice system
No sign of change in China
Situation must have improved since the former Hebei security chief and all his ilk are now behind bars.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:08 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,207,524 times
@MSGsing........Show me one piece of proof that in China today, authorities parade out its citizens in sports stadiums and execute people in public in front of others? Send me anything, any kind of proof.

Not only am I confident they do not, I have personal family experience on this issue and I know its not true.

Executions in China are done very very discreetly.

Old 10-12-2017, 09:25 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,647,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Two german kids also got canned last year.
Canned or caned?

Old 10-13-2017, 01:57 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,854,315 times
Shared earlier today... Parents get into vicious brawl after one kid steals another's toy at shopping mall playground: Shanghaiist

Also, re: executing drug dealers in public, I believe he was referring to this... They were sentences to death publicly, in a stadium, but we're not executed publicly.
Court sentences 13 drug dealers to death in open hearing | Daily Mail Online

Official Chinese policy doesn't allow for public executions.

As far as historical and contemporary violence goes, look at the Scandinavian nations that were historically extremely violent, and how safe they are now. The same can be said of Germany, over the same timeframe that (some) Asian nations have dialed back their violence.

Authoritarianism is a huge part of the reason that China is safe. Another couple reasons are that the government will under and over report as necessary for their agenda, and that in many cases, crimes are handled out of courts by family/village justice.

A few weeks ago, a young woman was stabbed to death at the metro near my house in GZ; I rode by in the immediate aftermath. My wife found a blurb in the media that simply stated that a woman was stabbed and died and a suspect was in custody. There was no talk of it in the media. A couple years ago, a nutjob stabbed a Chinese woman in Beijing with a sword because she was walking with a foreigner... After the acknowledgement that it happened and the guy was in custody, nothing. In the case of a situation like the above video of parents flipping out and beating eachother in a kid mall, even if the cops come, if the parents agree to pay some face money to eachother then it's deemed to not be a problem and not dealt with in the courts.

China is, indeed, generally extremely safe, and I feel better with my wife walking down the street alone here than I do in most big American cities, but I still find the idea that people here are somehow impervious to violence and violent outbursts because they like to study or something to be infantilizing and absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Asia